The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
a space shoot'em up I can't remember ! [found : Beam War]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Memories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
onpurpose
Tomy Blip

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: a space shoot'em up I can't remember ! [found : Beam War] Reply with quote

Hello fellows

Hi, my name is victor.

Well, let's be honest. I registered on the forums in order to find back an old LCD game I have been playing with in my childhood, and for which I am turning crazy for, nowadays.

It was totally out of my mind, until my best friend show me a game & watch and bam!! the dirty obsession that had disappeared for centuries has just striked back and punched me in the face.

I really have looked for it for hours on the web, but really I can’t find anything. The game design was really awesome ! Sound effects were really great too.

------

To give a context. I’m from Belgium, I’m born in 1980 and i remember to have played this game, mmmh, let’s say between 1987 and 1991.

I don’t remember the design of the handled but I was really sure it was a game & watch because of the design (widescreen, 1 color lcd screen) and the quality of build. But after some research, it turned that it isn’t.

So the game;

Basically, the game is a space shoot’em up, something like space invaders but definitely not the same design and with a little richer gameplay.

You move your shuttle from left to right only, at the bottom of the screen. There’s button for shooting rockets at ennemies.

At the beginning you space shuttle is a tiny rocket. and the enemies are tiny too. After a bunch of good shots, an upgrade for your rocket appears far away at the right of the screen; you must move your ship to the right avoiding missiles and enemies to catch the upgrade.

If you don’t catch it, no worries, nothing happens, but better have it because the ennemies will become more resistant.

If you catch the upgrade, this is what happens :

Your shuttle turns bigger, features an armor, fires more powerful rockets. I think they are 3 or 4 levels of upgrades. the last upgrade makes your rockets go though a bunch of ennemies (depending on their own armor) .

Ennemies (shuttles, not monsters) get stronger and more resistant, too. When an enemy touches the bottom of the screen, or if you are harmed by an enemy or rocket, you loose one level of your armor, or one life if you don’t have any.

Last but not least, once in a while (i think every 100 points or so) a big mothership appears at the top of the screen and slowly navigates from right to left, and you must try to destroy it to earn bonus points.

Damn, I played this game one day or two only, but it really engraved itself deep in my mind, and I would like to know if any of you has heard about such a game?

Thank you for any information you could give about this game !

Last edited by onpurpose on Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, if I didn't know you were talking about a handheld, I'd swear you were talking about the Taito arcade game Alcon... Smile Don't think a handheld was ever made of it though.

Can you describe the game itself? Size, color, etc? It only had one LCD screen, and was in color?

1987+ is a little out of the range of games I'm familiar with, but there are others here that might know it... Cool
Jethro
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is one of these?
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Tomy/Slimboy.htm
onpurpose
Tomy Blip

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rik wrote:
Damn, if I didn't know you were talking about a handheld, I'd swear you were talking about the Taito arcade game Alcon... Smile

Can you describe the game itself? Size, color, etc? It only had one LCD screen, and was in color?

I don't think it's Alcon inspired. The game mechanics is really based on space invaders but on a more dynamic feeling. The design of ennemies crafts was really amazing. Same for player shuttle once upgraded. No walls, no obstacles

I don't remember the color of the device itself, but the design must really be similar as a game & watch. Is it possible that some releases could miss from the list on wikipedia or so? I mean, I was really convinced it was g&w until I checked.

Jethro wrote:
Is one of these?
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Tomy/Slimboy.htm

I'm afraid not, I checked them while searching. But the japanese mood could stick to the design of the crafts.

Design of the crafts (ennemies and player) were made of 3 shapes. For a level1 craft, one shape was lit, for level2 craft, 2 shapes, and so on.

Pretty original, and well designed I should say.
blanka
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean with colour LCD screen?
Game and watches (except for 2 strange ones and the backlit models) are black sprite LCD's on coloured backgrounds.

For ones with coloured sprites the search field is pretty narrow. Tomy has a bunch, you have the backlit LCD's like this one:
http://handhelden.com/index.php?brand=bandai&game=bandai/Wingman
onpurpose
Tomy Blip

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There must have been a confusion, I didn't mention any colour for the ink. I confirm it was black ink in a lcd screen, like g&w series. I don't remember anything about the background image.

The design of the device, very simple and similar to a g&w.
onpurpose
Tomy Blip

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friends, I think I have found it!

I have extended my research to other shapes of devices and I found what I was looking for, it is the Beam War by Casio.

Maybe there was another release on rectangular by another manufacturer, but the design of the crafts and weapons is exactly what I remember!

http://handheldempire.com/game.jsp?game=386

Thank you for your help
blanka
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was expecting Casio. It sounded familiar if the theme had been guerilla warfare... Great sounding probably, those Casio's rock in that department.
onpurpose
Tomy Blip

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm so happy to have found which game it was. Of course I have found and bought it Smile

Viva internet !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Memories All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: