The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
pro wrestling at a bargain

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GameHoarder
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: pro wrestling at a bargain Reply with quote

I went into one of the larger towns near me yesterday and did a bit of shopping for supplies and visited the thrift stores and such.

As I don't watch any "programed programing" of any sort, I like to buy most any lower priced VCR or BETA tape and the odd DVD that I find that looks interesting. I will watch most anything including many full length children's movies, such as Disney and others. I mostly like to listen to them when I'm on the computer or eating something as I don't listen to radio or music. I get enough music from the movies and when the old dog has the vapors.

But anyway, at a Goodwill I found that they had a bunch of VCR tapes that hadn't been there the last time I was in. So I looked through all of them and saw that they had many so called pro wrestling tapes. Now I have very little interest in watching or even listening to such fiction as I find it less interesting and entertaining then so called women's soaps aka day time dramas. BUT I know that these types of items are very popular with many that like that sort of "entertainment".

So I bought all 12 of them as I knew that I could make a nice profit on them later. I looked them up on eBay completed auctions earlier today and I was Shocked by the crazy prices that some of these same VCR tapes sold for. The lowest priced one sold for a easy $5.00 and most others were selling for $15.00 to $30.00 each including S&H when it wasn't FREE. There were a couple that were bringing $50.00 to $62.50 EACH.

What a world when there are people that will pay that much for 1985 - 1990 wrestling VCR tapes.

Any one want to trade some vintage video game items for another form of "vintage" entertainment Rolling Eyes

That's a joke as I wouldn't want to try and trade wrestling tapes to someone for video game items as that might involve more thinking then required Wink
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's cool... It's amazing the stuff that people just think is garbage will sell to someone that really wants for ridiculous amounts (well, ridiculous amounts to you, I'm sure they'd say the same about what we spend on games...)

So, were these commercial tapes? (Like ones you would by in stores as wrestling tapes, not just stuff people recorded themselves off TV)

Another thing that's fun to do sometimes is if you can find old tapes of recorded shows, especially cartoons for us vintage game people, is to watch them for the commercials they recorded... There's a group out there that has done this with literally hundreds of tapes and compiled a collection of vintage game commercials (most of the ones you can find on YouTube likely came from this project)... One of those things I would have never thought of with home-recorded tapes...
GameHoarder
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All the tapes are commercially made and about half of them come in nice clam shell cases. Most look like new and I noticed that one was a rental tape. So who ever they had belonged to must of spent some time putting them all together for their little collection. I would guess that they sold for "crazy prices" when new as you don't buy tapes like these in stores as they come from much the same warehouse as the miracle hair growing tonic for bald people.

I just shake my head when I think about so MANY people taking pro wrestling seriously as it's mostly cartoonish.

But then there are those people that want to believe that "Professor Harry S. Trueman's amazing rejuvenating hair tonic" just might work. Some can even see the hair ever so slowly growing on their heads when they look in the mirror thinking of the "chick magnet" that they will be by the weekend Wink

It is true that many people think it's crazy the prices that collectors will pay for the assorted curios they collect. But then many of those people have totes full of beanie babies and vintage dust bunnies waiting for the BIG pay-off.

Take a peek at what some people will pay for Pokemon trading cards. Just a piece of paperboard with printing on it basically.

Different strokes for different folks in a world that runs on money and fantasy.
GameHoarder
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remembered this. When I was looking through the video tapes there was a "grandma" looking through the tapes and I asked her if she was looking for anything special as I had looked through most of them already. She said she was looking for Sponge Bob tapes for her grandchildren to watch. I hadn't thought about it before, but from the many thousands of video tapes I have looked through over the last couple of years when you can buy most for 50 cents, I have not seen ANY Sponge Bob tapes for sale. But then, these were the first wrestling tapes I have seen and they would of been gone fast if I hadn't of gotten to them before "the crowd" did.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GameHoarder wrote:

I just shake my head when I think about so MANY people taking pro wrestling seriously as it's mostly cartoonish.

It's just like any other TV show that people love... But it's one you can go watch live too if you want to. I've always thought it was funny that people that don't watch wrestling (and I'm one of them) are always like 'But it's FAKE, it's NOT REAL... Why do you watch it???'... It's not any more fake or scripted than pretty much any other TV show that's ever been made (even so-called 'reality shows' are mostly scripted and they will re-enact scenes if the cameras didn't have a good view when it really happened, etc), but we still watch them... It's just entertainment. People have their favorite wrestling characters, and will follow them through their 'carriers' like women follow relationships in soup operas... :8 They take the _entertainment_ seriously because, well, it's entertaining. They know it's scripted and the outcomes are pre-planned... And, like auto-racing, sometimes real accidents happen, I think that's some of the thrill of seeing the events live.

There really isn't a magical island in the ocean that a plane crashed on, but people (ahem, myself included in this one) are STILL debating stuff about Lost like it was a real event.

Just different people enjoying different things... Mr. Green

GameHoarder wrote:
I remembered this. When I was looking through the video tapes there was a "grandma" looking through the tapes and I asked her if she was looking for anything special as I had looked through most of them already. She said she was looking for Sponge Bob tapes for her grandchildren to watch. I hadn't thought about it before, but from the many thousands of video tapes I have looked through over the last couple of years when you can buy most for 50 cents, I have not seen ANY Sponge Bob tapes for sale. But then, these were the first wrestling tapes I have seen and they would of been gone fast if I hadn't of gotten to them before "the crowd" did.

Yeah, I imagine things like that are popular since thrift stores a frequented by mothers/parents that will tend to get the stores first thing in the morning for first-pick over all the new stuff. They have kids, they know cartoons won't go to waste, and 50 cents is a cheap price for a babysitter... Mr. Green I would think most Saturday morning cartoons on tape probably don't last long.
GameHoarder
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2013 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watch all recorded media as if I was behind the camera, BUT I do find myself being taken in now and then when I get "lost in the PROGRAMING" and remember that "the camera is behind me" Wink

I have met many that want to believe that what they watch and hear is FAR more then it TRULY is. I suppose that's the reason there are so many problems in this world. So much fantasy and fiction being taking seriously.

Ever think about how at the Public Library they have the Fiction and "NON fiction" areas? Just shows that this is a backwards world as it should be "reality" and non reality. But I suppose that doesn't $ELL as well Rolling Eyes
GameHoarder
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2013 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

update:

I picked up 2 more wrestling VCR tapes at the Goodwill last week and found a couple more in my hoard of recorded media. So that brought the number up to 16 tapes.

I traded them all off yesterday in a "horse trade" with a few other wrestling items I had laying about in a box, such as a 12 inch talking Hulk Hogan, four 6 inch wrestlers, Six wrestling belts for the little wrestlers and a couple wrestling T-shirts for a nice enough drum set complete with o.k. cymbals and extra drums and parts.

Seems the wrestling fan liked wrestling more then playing drums. He was so excited about the trade that I thought he would have a heart attack
Shocked
Singer
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a huge pro wrestling fan, or I always was anyway. These days it's so formulaic that I've pretty much lost interest. I can go a year without watching an episode and I don't feel like I've missed anything.

I can defend wrestling all day long as a performance art, a male soap opera, etc, but that's not really relevant to this conversation.

One reason why old tapes are still prized is because many of these wrestling events have been heavily edited for the DVD release, like Lucas' special edition Star Wars movies, and are not considered authentic by the "true" fans. Old music is replaced for licensing issues, some segments are cut due to talent disputes I guess. If you're talking about WWF, they are forced to blur or pixelate out the WWF logo on many old events for the DVD releases following a 2002 lawsuit with the World Wildlife Fund over the use of the initials, which is why the World Wrestling Federation had to rebrand itself World Wrestling Entertainment (WWE).

In the case of many other companies like NWA, WCW, ECW and more, many of these old events have never been released on modern media such as DVD or Blu-Ray, and only exist on VHS or Beta.

Another difference from other TV is that almost any old TV show can still be viewed in syndication on local TV or cable, or on Netflix or Hulu now. Old wrestling events don't get rebroadcast anywhere, ever, unless it's owned by Vince McMahon and gets played on his subscription-only WWE 24/7 channel.

So it's mostly an issue of rarity. The wrestling fans are really hardcore and if they want to view some of this vintage material there is no other way than on old tapes unless someone has put it on YouTube or some file-sharing site and then it's usually really low quality.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: