The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
handhelds in movies

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
R.O.B.
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:54 am    Post subject: handhelds in movies Reply with quote

I was watching e.t. last night and I know your handhelds in movies says theres big trak,super simon and speak and spell. I also saw the box for the super simon in elliots room and you see it at about the 40:00-44:00 mark on the limited edition version of e.t. on vhs. thanks,
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, it's already on the site... Cool

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Movies/ET.htm
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This game is probably too new to count, but I noticed MB's Battleship

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayI.....Track=true

used upside down as a locating device (like in Escape from New York but hi-teck) with a larger super-imposed map where the screen should be, and greyed out buttons.

It was large in the frame at 20.36 , 49.31 and possibly others?

If your interested in pics, I have the DVD but haven't a clue how to save frames from it? How do you do that?

Neil.
R.O.B.
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also want to know the minute mark where the microvision shows up in friday the 13th part 2 because I am scared to watch the movie because I watched the movie once when I was a kid and also then I did not know what the microvision was and the movie also scared me to death. thanks,
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil UK wrote:
This game is probably too new to count, but I noticed MB's Battleship used upside down as a locating device

Is that in ET? I'll have to look for that... It's definitely worth noting, especially when the game is used as a non-game, I love those. Smile

As for screen captures, I use Power DVD, it has a snapshot function. I also just discovered that if you are playing your DVD in Windows Media Player (on XP at least, I'm not sure what version my home computer has) and you hit the 'Print Screen' button on your keyboard, it will actually capture the image from the DVD (as well as the rest of your desktop). It used to only grab a big pink square or something, but they've obviously solved this.

(You then open up Windows Paint (or better photo editor) and just paste, you will see your desktop appear there...)

I'll have to look into the time for the Friday the 13th... I don't have the DVD, so I'll have to find someone with it. I think it's before all the killing starts though... You could probably fast-forward through it and find it pretty easily...
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Rik...I forgot to say what film it was in Embarassed

It is too new a game for ET I think. I saw it in Spy Kids.

Watch this space for some pics from my DVD thanks to your advice Smile

Neil.
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the game I think they have adapted to be a 'locating device', though there might be others using the same case with different colour plastics. I had a look at my Battleship game and it was made in 1995. Does 11 years old count as 'vintage'?

Their 'uncle' seems unsure which way up to use it

They have added a socket for a earphone (placed behind the ear) to one side and a tempting red button to the other.

They have added a lump of 'foam rubber' to the back of the game to cover up the instructions and look like a battery pack I presume.

A closer shot of that tempting button.

Just after this frame the thick rubber has gone and the area on the back just looks painted black.

It also pops up briefly at several other times throughout the film.

Neil.
spacemonsterviras
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lakeside Computer Perfection in "Buck Rogers In The 25th Century", season 2, episode 6, "Mark Of The Saurian":

Other recognisable objects abound: in both this and the original "Battlestar Galactica", whenever there's a bar scene they drink from a 70's Danish vase, a pair of which I have sitting on my entertainment unit. Plastic Kartell furniture is everywhere. At least one Commodore Pet, in fact there appears to be one in this scene. There may also be a Perfection in Adama's office, but it's difficult to tell.

Btw it's not possible to take screenshots of players that use video overlay mode, such as WinDVD. The capture button in my copy of WinDVD is greyed out, probably due to copy protection, so I used Winamp for this capture, as it has an option to disable overlays.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for the images... I may have to just start watching all of these old sci-fi shows... They probably re-purposed a lot of games and other odd devices...

Yeah, Video Overlay Mode... That's what used to produce just a pink square or something. Windows Media Player used to do that, but apparently the new versions in XP and such no longer do...

Rik
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks suspiciously like a 25th Century version of Super Simon on the left of the picture Wink

Neil.
Haku
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 21, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was watching Sleepaway Camp last night and in the middle of the baseball game a bored kid started playing Casio's "Clock & Game" BG-15:

see http://ernst.mulder.com/calculators/casio-bg15-body.html
Jethro
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not Movie, but Serial TV.

Higgins from Magnum P.I. plays with Tomy PuckMan

I found also Donkey Kong G&W Multi Screen in british TV fiction "Misfits":

blanka
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I saw this Magnum coming by on Retro Gaming at Facebook. It is mentioned in the list on this site, but not with the right episode. It is season 3, episode 6, "Black and White", near the end of the show.
I don't understand the snapshot taken though. At the end a fascinating woman in totally eighties white one piece stands next to Higgins. Much better shot with Puckman than with the three boys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: