The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
watch out, the Classic Football knockoff returns

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bomberpunk
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 9:05 am    Post subject: watch out, the Classic Football knockoff returns Reply with quote

Brought to you by Basic Fun and can be had for $14.99 at Wal-Mart.

at first glance it looks like the real deal, but up close it s clearly a cheap knockoff.

there's already a review up on youtube. there's digitized sound effects for the whistle and for when you get tackled (reminds me of the UGH sound from a defeated enemy in the arcade version of Double Dragon).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy7KGxxeQ_I
this guy's monotone words-per-minute speed probably clocks in just under the Micro Machines guy.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's funny... Back in the 70's when Mattel made theirs, many people copied them (including cheap, no-name brands)...

30+ years later and they are doing it again... Mr. Green
blanka
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why copy crap LED games? Bring some new VFD fun!
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 11, 2014 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And they do it with crappy back-lit LCD screens too... There's no fun there, if you want to do a 'modern replica', at least use LEDs like the original...
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally found this at my local Wal-Mart, and couldn't believe what a blantant rip off even the packaging was.

Then I realized it wasn't a knock-off, but an officially licensed (from Mattel) product. That's why they can use the 'It's Back!' logo and the same buttons on it. Even though they've added a true forward and backward button, you can still only go one direction. The manual actually says 'Mattel' and the back of the game says it's made under license from Mattel.

I didn't actually listen to that idiot's review originally...
'You need some AAA batteries'
No you don't, the batteries come included in the game
'The old one had some passing'
No it didn't, that was Football 2 dummy...
(Then I stopped listening again...)

Damn, at least look at the original game before you review the remake... Hell, he should have had the original on the table with him. Obviously people's memories might be a little fuzzy about the original game, so put out there for us all to see... Smile

He should have gone for a touchdown too, the game actually says 'Touchdown!' and then you hear an audience roar...

The digitized sound effects are kind of cheesy, they should have just kept it with the tweets of the original (or maybe an option to switch between them). But overall it's not really any better or worse than the one Mattel officially released 14 years ago (other than not looking the same)... (Damn, I can't believe it was that long ago that they did those re-releases...)

But if you want to actually play the game from your youth, just buy the original off eBay or something. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: