The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
DIY segmented displays on the horizon

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drichardson
Mattel Football

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 8:50 am    Post subject: DIY segmented displays on the horizon Reply with quote

Like many here, I have a deep interest in preserving our beloved handhelds for future generations to enjoy.

Imagine my surprise when I ran across this today:

http://www.gizmag.com/custom-t.....and/36447/

The important bit here is that it can produce segmented displays, which my become invaluable as our precious LCD displays start to die-off. While this technology uses electroluminescence, and it's energy requirements aren't quite what anyone would like, it's certainly a start, and my be an option for restoring (if imperfectly) countless useless Microvisions.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2015 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think it just can't be that expensive to manufacture new LCD screens for Microvision... It's just sixteen lines of conductive material on a piece of glass... I think the top and bottom glass is even exactly the same, just rotated 90 degrees...

It's just paying whatever it costs to start up a manufacture of them, and then is it ultimately worth it? Microvisions are extremely common, and even working ones are currently easy to find... But it would still be nice to have a stock of better-made LCDs to upgrade them with.

This new tech is pretty cool though. I've actually wanted to make a Microvision by replacing the screen with a grid of tiny LEDs instead, just for the hell of it... Someday I'll have a lit up one. Smile
kevtris
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2015 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rik wrote:

This new tech is pretty cool though. I've actually wanted to make a Microvision by replacing the screen with a grid of tiny LEDs instead, just for the hell of it... Someday I'll have a lit up one. Smile

Yes I wanted to do that trick too. With today's surface mount parts, it shouldn't be too difficult to make a replacement main board for the system with LEDs on it and a good power supply.

I also thought about having new LCDs made. I don't think it'd be terribly expensive, but probably in the $2-3K range. Guessing you couldn't sell enough of them to pay back the initial investment unfortunately.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: