The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Star Battle - a childhood story comes to life!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Singer
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Star Battle - a childhood story comes to life! Reply with quote

Being that we have a lot of retro fans on this forum, I thought I would share something I've recently finished which is retro both in and of itself and also for me personally.

I grew up as an early '80s kid and enjoyed a lot of science fiction/adventure and video games. I watched a lot of Star Trek, Star Wars, Battlestar Galactica and played a lot of Atari and TI/99-4A. NES came a little later when I was in high school.

I also read a lot of comic books and drew a lot of comic book style stories. Around 1983, when I was 7-8 years old, I drew "Star Battle" which I wrote with my brother. It's most obvious insipiration was Star Wars. The main ships or space stations look like the Death Star and we have some dogfights with smaller fighter craft. Over the years I would add new installments to the ongoing story, the last one probably came when I was about 18-20 in college.

Now I'm 38 and I work as a professional video editor. For some reason I came back to this little story and decided to animate it. Over the last year I have worked at a snail's pace of about half and hour every day or two. The majority of the time was spent cutting out all the linework so I could color it and import it into the video editing program. Then animating, adding sound effects and voice over. In all I put in over 100 hours of production time to this 3+ minute short.

For your consideration:

Star Battle
https://vimeo.com/102800896

Part 2 is about half finished and more may follow. I will probably animate at least the first 3 parts and then I am considering revisiting the storyline with something new.

Eric
Linda
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I love going back to the time I first got interested in video games.
Singer
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me too. That's why I'm here! Mattel Football & Baseball and Tandy's Caveman hooked me as a kid and brought me back as an adult to this hobby.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: