The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The obscure Tiger Tabletop 'Arcade Games'

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tartfox
Kenner Red Line

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:22 pm    Post subject: The obscure Tiger Tabletop 'Arcade Games' Reply with quote

In the year 2000, Tiger Electronics released a series of Pixel LCD games under the brand 'Arcade Games', which all resembled arcade cabinets. They were small enough to play in the hand or serve as a tabletop device. The tops of each game could close down for easy storage and portability. Each of their 'Arcade Games' had a detachable joystick, A-D labelled buttons and additional buttons to pause the game, reset the game, toggle the sound and toggle the games on/off.

5 titles were released under the 'Arcade Games' brand which just so happened to be games that all appeared on the Sega Dreamcast- Q-Bert, NFL Blitz 2000, Ready 2 Rumble Boxing, Hydro Thunder and Sonic Adventure, essentially making these Dreamcast handheld ports. Thanks to the display (which was similar to Tiger's Game.com tech), all the games were capable of displaying various animations, multiple stages, enemies, etc. They even had genuine sound effects taken straight from the original Dreamcast Games! Shocked

I wanted to know if anyone here owns these unique Tiger games and if so, what do you think of them- are they still enjoyable games despite their limitations? How much content from the original games were they able to port over to these devices? What is their replay value? And, if you do own any are you willing to share photos and/or post videos of them in action?

There doesn't appear to be any information on these devices on this site and research on Google pulls up very little information on these titles besides what I could find on Sonic Adventure (video link to see it in action is at the bottom of this post). These games are hard to come by and as such I think they're unique and rare enough to warrant the interest. Smile

Here's some photos of what the various ones look like-

Ready 2 Rumble Boxing

Sonic Adventure

Hydro Thunder

As promised, here's a YouTube video on the Sonic Adventure Tiger Game. For a Tiger Handheld, it's not a bad novelty piece! Very Happy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKYWUfAgX98
Singer
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I didn't Tiger was still producing stuff in 2000, I thought that's around when they got absorbed by Hasbro and all their LCD stuff was just released under Hasbro after that. I do see Hasbro's logo down in the corner there but Tiger is still using their original logo not the Hasbro redesign.

I love Hydro Thunder, and I think I had seen that version on eBay before but I didn't know it was from Tiger and I didn't know it had pixel-based graphics! Man I've got to get me one of those! Thanks for sharing.
Linda
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Qbert version of these, but I'm pretty sure I sold it a few years ago for much higher than I ever expected. I only collect games made before 1988, but I received it with a lot of games. It was really fun game play if I remember correctly.
Tartfox
Kenner Red Line

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew I was getting worried, it's been almost a month with NO replies. Laughing

Glad to see the interest in these titles Singer! If you ever do pick up the Hydro Thunder version before I do, let me know.

Linda, it's awesome to read that you had your hands on the Q*bert version. Do you recall how much you sold it for?
Linda
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of a hydro thunder

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RARE-V.....Swgn5XEd6x

It even comes with a carrying case. Looks very cool. I don't collect games created after 1988 so I hope one of you guys gets this.

Tartfox, I think it sold the Q*bert for over $80 which surprised me because I bought it in a game lot of 10 games for around $100.
Tartfox
Kenner Red Line

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link on that one Linda. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: