Gakken Dig Dug
Joined: 20 Mar 2008
Last Visit: 24 Dec 2017
|Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:30 am Post subject: MADrigal's Simulators: DONKEY KONG GW SPECIAL EDITION
|Merry Christmas everyone! Ho! Ho! Ho!
What better way to celebrate than playing your favourite classic videogames under the Christmas tree? And when they are completely free, the games play even better!
As announced a few weeks ago, I am today releasing my very own re-interpretation of Nintendo's most iconic pocket game: Donkey Kong Multi Screen.
This "Special Edition" application simulates the gameplay of the old classic Game & Watch with a few minor changes. Even though the gameplay is almost the same, the graphics and audio experience is quite much improved: everything has been re-designed from scratch!
The game features four stages, each with custom-made images and sounds effects. Tweaking the included "config.ini" files, you have the power to create and add your own images, remove any of the existing, change the order of the stages, make the game play your own sound effects, or... whatever you have in mind!
The included stages are listed below:
1. "Sunset City" features black LCD graphics on a black skyscraper on a cityscape background. The graphics is an adaptation of the beautiful DK Wallpaper designed by Old Game Box a few months ago.
2. "Panorama Screen" is inspired by the beloved colourful electronic games of the same series, released by Nintendo in 1983-1986. The graphics feature coloured sprites on a black background and show how the game would have looked if it was released as a Panorama Screen game.
3. "Coin Op World" utilises graphics from the classic arcade coin-op Donkey Kong (with adaptations from me). Sound effects also come from the original arcade game.
4. "Classic G&W" is the real pocket game displayed very realistically, to provide the real experience of having the game on your crowded desk. It utilises the photo of a real Game & watch as pictured by my long time friend Roberto Mayrhofer.
The below image shows two of the four settings and one intermission screen, shot at 1366x768. Note the game requires screen resolution of 1024x768 as a minimum, however the bigger the screen, the better! Best results are obtained on 1920x1200 desktops.
Read below list of new files released today:
- Donkey Kong G&W Special Edition version S5/5.00 - for Windows only
- MADrigal CD Collection version 60.0 - for Windows only
- ClrMamePro DATfile - version 60.0
The files are available for free download from the usual downloads page.
I wish to express my gratitude to Old Game Box and Roberto Mayrhofer for providing portions of the game graphics, and Mike DX and Paul Rahme for providing a few sound effects. This game could not be the same without your help!