The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
store, preserve, revive our precious collection

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kisember
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:32 am    Post subject: store, preserve, revive our precious collection Reply with quote

I wonder what are the best practices to store a game to preserve its state or at least prolong aging? What could we do to revive if already aged? Could we create some kind of digital archive to store circuit boards, chipsets, program dumps, scans of playfield background and screen, 3d scan of chasing?

Nowdays, almost all Nintendo G&W games have the reflective screen layer aged. When I started collecting handheld games, I did not see such issue. It is happening just now. Anybody know what cause it? Humidity, drying, heat, light? Is it reversible?
Fortunately, G&W games has separate screen (glass), polariser, background and reflective layers, so it is easy to repair, replacements are available online.
Other games has these layers glued together, so not (easily) replaceable.

To start with a few link:

Restore
- re-create LCD:
-- How to make a custom LCD from scratch
-- PrintDisplay: DIY displays and touchscreens anyone can print

- whitening yellowed cases:
-- retr0bright

Archive
- 3D archive:
-- Nintendo G&W battery cover

- Software archive:
-- MADrigal's simulator
blanka
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2018 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've a series of 3D files for covers, much more detailed as your G&W link, inclusing the "worm" texture. Also for Epoch, Bandai and Coleco table tops (Tomy is no problem as they are attached).

I store all games in a zip-bag to keep moisture and silverfish (little animals that love modern well insulated houses and cardboard boxes) out.

Regarding retrobright: I find the video's on YT hy 8-bit guy more usefull. Especially the ozone option is interesting as it works without disassembly.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God, I f*cking hate silverfish... Went back to my parents house a few weeks back, and the house seems infested with them (at least my room, that no one ever goes into). They seem to eat the top _layer_ of paper... I have magazines, computer printouts and boxes that don't have holes in them, but little rough spots were the surface of the paper is missing...

I like the LCD making demo, that might be useful for fixing Microvisions. Probably the simplest LCD ever made (16 lines on the glass, take two of them and rotate one 90 degrees effectively making a 16x16 grid). Gotta be an easy one to remake!

I wouldn't use a simulator for archiving as that is just the programmer guessing how the game plays and trying to replicate it. (Fun for playing though).
MAME is supporting handhelds, including G&W. To do this, they are actually dumping the ROM code from the chips, emulating the CPU, and scanning (and converting to vector graphics) the LCD panel (or high-res photographs for VFDs). They also scan the background image in a high resolution. Some backgrounds are vectored if it can be easily done (like the Mario Bros. G&W).
There's no practical way to 'rebuild' a CPU chip, so you won't be able to fix those if they are damaged, but with emulation of the actual code you can get a near-perfect representation of the handheld on your computer.

With the vectorized LCD graphics you could probably make a new LCD panel, but I think they are only vectorizing the 'active sprites', not the tiny traces that connect the sprites to the edge of the LCD panel... That would be the hardest part of archiving LCD artwork as I don't think there's a way to make those parts turn black for photographing/scanning.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: store, preserve, revive our precious collection Reply with quote

kisember wrote:
Nowdays, almost all Nintendo G&W games have the reflective screen layer aged. When I started collecting handheld games, I did not see such issue. It is happening just now. Anybody know what cause it? Humidity, drying, heat, light? Is it reversible?

To comment on this specifically, I believe the main culprit is heat and ultraviolet light. Things at my parents house (who tend to turn off the AC completely when they go on long summer trips, and this is in Houston, TX...) have turned yellow, and the LCDs on some things have turned black. Many of these weren't exposed to light, so it was just the heat/humidity.

UV light can damage almost anything. What people don't realize is that UV light can pass through ANYTHING that isn't specifically rated to block it. So, if you are in your room in the daylight, with all the lights off, and you can see, there's UV light hitting everything (i.e., no matter how thick your curtains/blinds/shades are, if they let ANY light pass through, they are letting UV light pass through). Over time, that will damage/fade/turn yellow almost anything printed, any vintage LCDs, and most retro plastics.

Most of the times I've seen any of this kind of damage, the items was not sealed, kept in the dark and kept in climate controlled conditions. Seems like any one of them can damage them over time (Light, heat, humidity, and possibly just the act of going from hot to cold if it's in places like an attic).

You don't have to be 'museum quality' paranoid (although that wouldn't hurt Cool ), but some level of paranoia helps. Especially if the item is 'on display'. Sunlight (even filtered), and any type of florescent light (like those spring-shaped CFLs that are popular these days) will fade and damage it over time.
kisember
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: store, preserve, revive our precious collection Reply with quote

blanka wrote:
I've a series of 3D files for covers, much more detailed as your G&W link, inclusing the "worm" texture. Also for Epoch, Bandai and Coleco table tops (Tomy is no problem as they are attached).

I store all games in a zip-bag to keep moisture and silverfish (little animals that love modern well insulated houses and cardboard boxes) out.

Regarding retrobright: I find the video's on YT hy 8-bit guy more usefull. Especially the ozone option is interesting as it works without disassembly.

Are your 3D files available to the public?
Could you share some details, how this ozone technic works? Whitening without disassembly sounds interesting!

Rik wrote:
kisember wrote:

You don't have to be 'museum quality' paranoid (although that wouldn't hurt Cool ), but some level of paranoia helps. Especially if the item is 'on display'. Sunlight (even filtered), and any type of florescent light (like those spring-shaped CFLs that are popular these days) will fade and damage it over time.

I keep my games in a wardrobe, separated into several cardboard box (numbered, to be able to find them), bubble wrapped (to avoid pressing each other), no zip bags. No AC either, temp mostly around 25 C (75 F), between 20-30 C (68-86 F) during the year.
Could drying also damage games? Is it safe to store them with the absorbent material usually packed with food, shoes and almost every product nowdays?
VFD and tabletop LCD games has no reflective layer, so they do not suffer the most common aging issue I'm facing/fearing recently. My paranoia level is raising. Confused
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: