The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Question on Cleaning Contacts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TokyoBatman
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:08 am    Post subject: Question on Cleaning Contacts Reply with quote

Maybe this is a question for Rik or Blanka. If you know, please feel free to answer.

I've opened a few games to clean the contacts on the board and the rubber that presses against the contacts. Some are easy, but others have a piece of plastic locked into the board over the rubber.

For example, Crazy Climber.

So I'm wondering how you get that plastic off to get to the contact.

Do you pop it off with a flat head screwdriver? Any tricks? And do you need something special to lock it back into place when you put it back on?
blanka
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they melted the plastic to keep it in place. It will break on removal. I never had these enclosed buttons fail. The plain ones with rubber only I clean with an earbud and isopropyl.

You can try contact spray.
TokyoBatman
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks blanka. So it's not failing, but it takes a harder press to the right. The others are smooth. I'm sure if the contact and rubber were cleaned, it'd be fine.

So yeah, I don't want to break the melted plastic.

Contact spray is a good idea. I didn't think of that. Thanks!
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the other side of the board to be sure. A lot of times it's little screws holding it on.
If it's melted, you will be able to see that too- it'll be obvious where the melted plastic is. You can also sometimes break them free, and then re-melt them with a soldering iron. Doesn't take much, just enough to hold it in place.

Which Crazy Climber? I'd have to open it to see what it looks like to be sure...
TokyoBatman
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Rik,

That clears things up well. It's Bandai's Crazy Climber. I have a few others like Changeman, that work but require a little extra push. I think cleaning the contacts and rubber would make it smoother.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: