The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What started you collecting?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Memories
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

R.O.B. wrote:
bandai pair match witch I found in my grandma's closet and she said I could have it and I am very confused how to it use maybe rik can tell me how it works.

Manual here:
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Manuals/Bandai-PairMatch.pdf

(Adobe Acrobat reader required...)

Fun little game... I still think it's silly that it has a no-sound option since the game play is based on the sound. Mr. Green

BTW, where did it come from originally, do you know? I wasn't aware that game was sold in the U.S. (Japan only).

Rik
Dan
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe it got beamed there from the USS Enterprise when they were finished using it as a prop! Mr. Green
R.O.B.
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks rik for the manual and I learned this game was my aunt's and that in the 80's she bought it at the sharper image but I thought it was only in japan. no one knows how it got here! thanks again,very fun to play!
LEDFreak
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember a friend of mine in grade 6 had a brand new Coleco Electronic Quarterback. We were all jealous as he seemed to be one of the first in the school with such a game. We'd ask him to play the sound when you made a touchdown or scored a field goal, so he'd quickly flip on the game, do really lousy on one side ( on purpose ) and then when the next side was up he'd score and easy few points...and play the neat little melody. I wound up borrowing it a few times.
The next thing we knew, there were kids bringing in Tomy Digital Derby, and Blip, Mattel Hockey, Coleco Head to Head Hockey, Mattel Battlestar Galactica, Sears Auto Race, Coleco Zap!, and other classics. I received Castle Kingpin, Parker Bros. Merlin, Digits, and Mattel Hockey during this time.
I stayed interested in these game for a long time. When I was in grade eight I got Bandai Missile Invader ( from Sears ). A friend of mine had Tandy Cycle race which I played to death. I also bought Microvision, but never wound up buying any games other than Blockbuster for it. In 1980 I went to Germany and purchased Mattel Armour Battle, which along with Microvision, I still have today.
I then basically concentrated on shoving quarters in arcades. Even on my graduation in 1984, we all walked to the mall near our school in our suits and played numerous games while waiting for our dates and dinner/dance to happen.
I started collecting these game very recently and am relatively new to this forum. A colleague of mine had a copy of Mattel hockey in his classroom. He had it since he was a kid. I checked in my basement and came up with a broken Merlin, working Microvision, and Armour Battle. I checked on eBay for a copy of Mattel Hockey, got it, and continued on my collecting way.
I don't know if I qualify as a collector, as I don't really care if they come in boxes, and I want to actually paly them. I'd rather have them displayed in a see-through case of some sort anyway. I am concentrating on collecting the games that I have played and enjoyed.
mario101
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys got me into collecting. When I saw your collections, I got so mad. I still envy you. So, I always wanted to be part of something that was somewhat popular, so, this sounded more fun. And I'm right.
Roback
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:40 am    Post subject: Arcade memories Reply with quote

Gosh, where do I start. When I was in my early teens, we had an arcade very close by. Between spending hours playing Atari andshoving quarters in arcade games, well, it left very little time for much else to the dismay of my parents. Very Happy
Some of my favorites arcade games were Joust, Crazy Climber, Asteriods, Space Invaders, Missile Command, Mrs Pac man and so many more that I am drawing a blank. I am new to this forum and as my memory gets jogged I am sure to remember so much more. I have always loved arcade games, handhelds and gaming consoles and I cant tell you how happy I am to have found this site.
FinEngineer
Kenner Red Line

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

number6 wrote:
FinEngineer wrote:

Then I received a present from my dad, who has purchased it in a duty-free shop in Japan on his way back from one of his overseas business trips. And it was the Bandai Gunfighter (Japanese version, white case). It was the most beautiful, fun and awesome electronic game I had ever seen, this was 1980 and vaccum fluorescent diplay handheld game just made their first appearances (Remember, my friends were still playing the Tomy pocket size and mechanical games). I took it with me wherever I visit my friends or cousins. I had eventually really good at it: hide behind the wagon, swelve out in the open, fire a quick shot and, sneak back behind the moving wagon just as quickly. Whenever I pulled that trick, it was inevitably deadly for my enemies Wink.

Unfortunately, there was not a happy ending for that game. One day I loaned it (very reluctantly) to one of my classmates, who in term, without my permission, loaned to one of his street friends, needlessly to say I never got it back Sad Soon after that my family relocated overseas.

I too owned Gunfighter as a child, but I had the US version. I thought it was the neatest game I had ever seen since I had never played a VFD game at that point. I think this game is was got me into handhelds. Everyone I played this game against I could beat. It got to the point that no one wanted to play with me.

I too lost my original when my mother decided to do some spring cleaning and she donated all my handhelds to goodwill. When I confronted her about it she said that since I no longer played them that she assumed I no longer wanted them. Oh Well thanks to Ebay I got another copy.

I hear you, I also got extremely skilled at this game, and became unmatched in my neighborhood block.

By the way, I just got the original Japanese version from a seller in Asia, needless to say, I am ecstatic. This sure brings back lots of childhood memories....

Now, is the box beautiful or what?! Wink

AlienLockNChase
Tomy Blip

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My handheld tabletop library began completely by accident.

There's a weekend-only flea market about 10-15 mins. from my house, which occupies the space formerly used by Agway{a East Coast-based lawn and garden/farm supplies retailer}.

I often go in there to buy reasonably-priced VHS tapes, as well as NES and Sega Genesis games.

I came across a loose Tandy Astro Command game there last summer, and bought it for 2 dollars{a price I'm quite pleased about}.

Knowing very little/next-to-nothing about handheld tabletops at the time, I Googled it and came across Rik's wonderful site.

I now have a total of six loose VFD's{the only type/style of handhelds that I collect}, and its superb how accurate many are to their arcade counterparts.

The greatest aspect about VFD handhelds is the wide variety present.

Some are based on actual arcade releases[Zaxxon, Crazy Climber], whereas others[Kingman, Puck Monster] are endearing knock-offs of existing titles {which still manage to carve out their own unique niches regardless}.

Still others [Dracula, Caveman] are exclusive to the tabletop format, so there's an awesome range of titles to choose from!

I'm finding new and fascinating handheld tabletops all the time, and will be posting which ones I currently have{with pictures} in the "Brag" section of these forums soon.
blanka
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My collection started with a visit to a second hand clothes shop in Osaka Japan. My GF was shopping nice seventies stuff, when I found out the shop also had some vintage interior stuff, including a Astro Thunder 7 from Epoch. The guy put batteries in it and I was sold. The sound and graphics of that machine are amazing. Back home I found out I bought the Electronic Plastic book in one of my Art-book-store-grab-all-that-looks-nice activities 5 years ago, and then the ball started rolling. With a visit to Play Belgium in Brussels, I saw a lot of them in RL and so I started shopping for them.

The stuff I remember playing as a kid are only 3 titles, as these games are not the most seen stuff in rural Holland. 2 buddies at school had the Airport Panic, Donkey Kong Jr and Donkey Kong II handhelds.
bomberpunk
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

other than actual video games (and later the gameboy line), i grew up on Tiger/Konami LCD games. when i was a kid my mom would drag me to garage sales & thrift stores. as a stereotypical woman, she took her SWEET time looking around. to shut me up, she'd get me one or two things if i saw anything i was interested in. i scored a Tron, Cosmic Clash, and a semi-working Adventure Vision (for $6.99) all before i turned sixteen.

after my collection got wiped out in 2005, i set a new goal to reclaim that collection and make it even bigger. with the exception of 2 or 3 missing titles. most of my stuff is stored in copier paper boxes with the exception of bigger units like Cosmic Clash and, of course, the AV.

for the longest time i was not only a collector, but a player. even well into my 20s. unfortunately with added responsibilities in the adult world, i have less time to kick back and play around with them. i'd like to still consider myself a player, but who am i kidding? realistically, i'm hoarding toys. and i'm fine with that.

hi. i'm michale and i'm a 30-year old child.
Singer
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2014 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grew up on the Atari 2600, TI-99/4A and later the NES, so I always loved games. Went to the arcades, played computer games at school, a lot of Apple IIe.

As for handhelds, my cousins had some of the Coleco handhelds such as Pac-Man which I thought were neat. At home we collectively had Mattel Baseball and Football I. The first one I really owned was Tandy's Caveman. I remember when Tiger games came out they all seemed really stupid compared to GameBoy stuff. Too limited, too pricey for what they offered. I have some appreciation for them now.

Digging through my old stuff at Mom's house recently I found Caveman which has held up very nicely and renewed my interest. I also found the Mattel Baseball and Football I. So I started collecting some new stuff on eBay, even some Tiger handhelds. I really do prefer the glowing color of the VFDs though. I just picked up Epoch's Astro Command and it seems pretty cool but the controls are sticky, the joystick only goes down, not up, and the buttons are slow to fire, so it's hard to play. I'll work on cleaning it up.
blanka
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Epoch controls are prone to get dirty and easy to clean up. Do that!
Singer
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do I get the knob off the top of the joystick so I can open the case?
blanka
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to! It has a screw under the sticker, but you don't want to mess up that sticker. You can open it with leaving the joystick as is.

The trick is: open the case, twist the top shell till the screw of the control panel is accessible. Then unscrew the control panel.
This trick works for Firefox F-7/Astro Thunder (hard!), Fights of Titan, Astro Command/Scramble, Crazy Monster/ZigZag Monser and Dracula
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Memories All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: