The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Getting my butt kicked playing my new Coleco Donkey Kong!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roback
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Getting my butt kicked playing my new Coleco Donkey Kong!! Reply with quote

Ok guys, I need your help. For some strange reason I cant open any of the manuals, it seems that they are all on PDF files and I am unable to open them. With that being said, can you answer some of my questions regarding game play? First off, when you grab the hammer, that is only for pints correct? On the second screen, I am unable to climb the ladder on the right of the screen? Any reason why? I must be missing something. Also, are there any other screens or is this the only one? Any other tips that you'd like to share?
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go here:

http://www.adobe.com/products/acrobat/readstep2.html
and download the PDF reader. It's free, and it will probably help you answer all your questions... Cool
Roback
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rik, I am still have some technical difficulty with the dowload. Can you just tell me how to beat the second screen? I am having issues climbing the ladder at the top to save the girl. What are the things that I need to do before I get up there?
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, the second level is the 'rivets' level. You will notice that there are two little dashes on the floor of each level that disappear when you walk over them. You have to make all of them disappear and then you win the level (you don't need to climb up to the girl).

If I remember correctly, the game then just switches back-and-forth between the two different levels...
Lord Thag
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Rik is correct. I play this one a lot, so maybe I can help. You have to run the little jumpman guy over all of the yellow rivets while dodging the fireballs. It's *very* hard to do, as the fireballs tend to camp on a couple of the rivets. You do not have to climb the top ladder. As Rik said, the levels repeat.

It's a very well done game, but it's very hard.
Roback
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info guys. I cant believe how challenging this game is. I am usually a quick learner but to be honest, after about an hours play I have yet to get passed the second screen.
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lot have got me curious. I'm going to have to get mine down soon and have a go. I don't think I have ever played it after checking it was working.

I see Rik has the high score......for now Razz

Neil.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, all this talk about high scores and such is going to make me dig all my loose games out of storage...

I wouldn't think my score would be that hard to beat... I just did it real quick so there'd be a score there. I think it was the 4th level? Try to keep track of what level you reach, if you can...
Roback
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do. I plan on giving it another go tomorrow. Broke out and played Dig Dug and Mrs Pacman tonight with the Plug and Plays. Two terrific games.
Lord Thag
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! I'll get mine down as well. Nothing like a good, healthy dose of competition to get you back into the hobby!
Lord Thag
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a few tips for all of you who want to compete on this one. The rivet stage is murder.

Most of the problem is that the fireballs tend to camp on a couple of rivets, which makes it difficult to complete before the time runs out. The problem rivet is usually the left one on the second floor, which the fireball seems to be infatuated with. I usually hit the bottom two rivets, then the 2nd floor right one, then head up to third to get those.

The top two floors are also hard, as TWO fireballs tend to hang out up there. The key is to start on the side that they are not one hit the rivet, then climb up to the top and hit the one up there. The trick is that you can walk right through the girder under Kong, even though it looks like you can't. Wait a second or two, then bolt to the other side to get the other two rivets while (hopefully) they fireballs are on the side you were just on.

At this point, if you are lucky, the stupid camper fireball is down on the first floor, and you can race back down and claim the last rivet.

Usually, it doesn't go so smoothly. Often times, you have to get near the camper fireball and lure it towards you so you can jump it and get the rivet. This occasionally works, butusually gets you killed.

Another really useful tactic (as in the arcade) is to hit a rivet and trap one of the fireballs away from you where it cannot escape.

The game is still hard as hell, but hopefully this helps a bit.
Roback
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, just what I was looking for, sound advice. I appreciate you taking the time to share those tips Thag, awesome. I just sat down to do some online surfing but after reading your post it's off to play Donkey Kong. Ya gotta love it!!
Lord Thag
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anytime. Did it help? Maybe some other people could post tips. This game is quite the beast to master.
Roback
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

definitely helped! I cleared three rivit screens in a row. With some practice I am getting better every day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: