The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Do you still play with your games or just collect them?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roback
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Do you still play with your games or just collect them? Reply with quote

You may think that this is a crazy question but I know of many people who buy comics simply to bag and board them without reading. I consider that a waste unless were talking about a very valuable copy which then I can certainly understand you not wanting to handle it. Do you guys make time to enjoy your games or do you simply like looking at them on display?
R.O.B.
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy palying my games because thats what there made to do! Cool
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do both. I have so many games that I'd never have time to play them all (and some that I have never played). If I find that a game is really fun, I'll usually get two so I can collect one and play with one (I have a set of the Coleco games on my desk at work loaded with batteries so anyone can play if they want to... And another set boxed that I have on display at home or at shows.)

Rik
blue6demon
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also enjoy playing them, take a look in the high score section you'll see who plays a lot.

The Coleco the MS Pac Man, Epoch Galaxy 2, Coleco Alien Attack, Entex Super Cobra are some of my favorites, i also play a lot of the sports games. Wish i could play them against someone else Mr. Green
Roback
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Coleco Alein Attack Reply with quote

Is this Alein Attack game similar to Space Invaders? Speaking of Space Invaders, I was very surprised to find this game in Galaxian. Not that was a shocker. It took a minute for it to sink in and then I was like, hey, this is Space Invaders. Cool.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alien Attack by Tomy is like Super Cobra.

Alien Attack by Coleco is kind of unique, but it's REALLY fun, really addicting and gets fairly hard. I started playing my spare one just to see if it worked (because I was going to sell it), and I enjoyed it so much that I'm keeping it as a 'game to play with'.

I still have to beat Neil's score on it...
blue6demon
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No Alien Attack is pretty unique in it's gameplay and quite challenging, correct me if i'm wrong guys and girl !
mario101
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do both. But I will buy a game no matter w/ it is as long as it's retro. Even the game play sucks, I'll still play it.
Lord Thag
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I collect them to play, most certainly. I'm like that with most of my game collection. I usually get a unit (or cart) loose, as that saves money, and then I clean it and keep it on the shelf for easy access. Some of my favorites:

Entex Pac man 2: Best handheld pacman of all time. I like it as much as the arcade.

Entex Turtles: Great game, similar to pac man, only harder. Very fun.

Bandai Frisky Tom: Kinda rare, but and outstanding game. Really complex and fun for a VFD.

Tandy Kingman: Great Donkey Kong clone with four distinct levels, and great graphics.

Tomy Tron: This one is clever, fun, and challenging. Plus, the design kicks ass. Better than most of the home versions of Tron for the consoles of the era.

Entex Defender: Very well done defender game with all the extras. This one is so good that I actually have friends who come over and request to play it (!). No kidding! Get the big 'book' sized one, not the tabletop.

Any of the Coleco tabletop games are good. I will second the vote for Coleco Alien Attack as well (just got it in the mail today!) It's kind of like Targ in the arcades. You have a bunch of barriers to run around as you blast alien ships that come from all sides. You have a move button, a fire button, and a 4-way joystick. You have to dodge enemy shots and return fire faster than the enemies so you don't get hit. The game plays in successive waves, and has a 4 digit score. It's much more fun than I was expecting. By far one of the best VFD games I've played. Fast too.

Most people think I'm nuts, but many of these old LCD/VFD/LED games are still a blast to play. I picked one up for nostalgia to round out my console collection, and ended up getting hooked.
phitter
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one thing that the handhelds have over their console or PC-based cousins is portability.

Like it or not, the majority of my game playing takes place on the throne. In my vanity drawers you will currently find Packri Monster (I will not give up until I get 999), Mattel Basketball and Baseball (the newer Classic versions) and a Konami Solitare.

Or maybe I could just drag the TV into the can..........

-phitter
tanatron
Gakken Moon Patrol

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for me,as it has always happened when I collected things (books ,planes ,women Laughing etc) at first I bought them to actually play them throghoutly.Then I got so many that I couldn't keep up with the playing so I just try them and see how they work from a curiosity point of view.
Anyway I've bought quite a lot of spare games to let parents or friends try them without actually ruining the boxed ,and most of the times costly,games in the collection.As for my beloved baseball games I play them regulary no matter what,even if I can't beleve that on them when I was a child I played entire seasons of 162 games. Shocked

Alex
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: