The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
I think I'm going to give up this hobby....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Games forsale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: I think I'm going to give up this hobby.... Reply with quote

[Okay, I'm really annoyed and had to scream at someone... So I chose you guys...]

Collecting games is no longer fun any more... Here's another seller that some a**hole conned into selling off Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280132701789

Which I just realized had a BIN of $40 when it was first listed... What the hell? Why didn't anyone take it for that price? By the time I saw it, it already had a bid...

I'm just sick of being in a hobby full of people like this... Once a hobby starts getting polluted with people that only care about themselves and don't give a damn about anyone else it really starts to get boring, and frustrating. What's worse is I just want to know how much these stupid games are worth. EVERY single one of these necklace V-Tech games has been listed on Ebay and suddenly pulled. I've told every seller the game would get more than $500 on Ebay if they left it alone, and I've either been ignored, or told that was comparable to the amount they were offered for it. One guy even said he'd sell it to me for $450, and when he told the other person about it, that person offered more (thus proving he was trying to rip off the seller in the first place, which I pointed out to him). I've started reporting all of these to Ebay (since making (and accepting) an offer to sell something outside of Ebay is against their policy and considered theft) in the hopes that Ebay will eventually stop those responsible... But we all know how useful Ebay is at doing anything... Maybe if more people filed complaints it might actually make a difference.

The problem I face is that most of the games I still want are fairly rare, and every time they show up on Ebay, this happens... (Anyone remember the several boxed Defender Strikes from several months ago? Not one single one was sold on Ebay, they all conveniently disappeared.) No one has the guts to admit they are the ones doing it (or the ones doing it are people that I don't even know because they are the anti-social type), and it's just reaching a point of annoyance. I'm sure this happens in a lot of hobbies, which is probably why I don't stick with any one hobby for very long. I've spent more time collecting handhelds than any other thing I've ever collected, and that's probably largely do to the fact the decent person-to-a**hole ratio has always been kind of low in this hobby... That's apparently starting to change.

I used to collect Star Wars stuff a lot, and that whole hobby is a wasteland of people like this. I just heard the other day at SW convention about a serious collector with a disposable income that apparently has one of the most impressive collection of rare SW stuff ever seen. The problem is, he won't show it to ANYONE (except his close friends maybe). So, he was rare, one-of-a-kind stuff, that's NEVER been seen since it fell into collectors hands, and it never will be seen unless this guy dies and his family sells everything off. I just don't get that attitude... I'm more than anxious to take all of my games anywhere to show them off as much as possible... Why would you collect something only to lock it up in a private room and never show it to anyone? Especially when you know it's something no one has ever seen or documented, and there's 100,000s of people that would love to just see pictures of it? Even anonymous pictures, just to see what it looks like and know it exists...

There's several collectors in the Handheld 'community' like this. I'll write to people I see buying lots of games on Ebay just to say 'Hi' and try to talk about games, and they never even reply... Like it's above them to talk to another collector or something... It wasn't like that 5 years ago... Everyone I wrote to about games was more than eager to talk about 'our' hobby... Many of those same people are probably on this board now. I know a lot of the 'big' collectors from many years ago, but I don't think I've ever had a normal conversation with some of the ones buying up expensive stuff on Ebay now. (Or it's possible I have, and just don't know their Ebay IDs.) Like 'sexysi' for example... Has anyone actually had a conversation with him about games, or is he strictly 'sell them only'? (Is he a member of this forum?) I've written to him at least twice through Ebay, and both times I was ignored...

I don't know, this one might be my fault... I only noticed the auction a day ago, and was going to immediately write to seller to ask him not to end the auction early, but I got sidetracked doing other things and forgot to write to him... But I shouldn't have to do that to. I miss the days when the hobby was fun.... I guess the only good news about this is if there's so many people trying to con sellers out of games cheap, then the games must be going up in value. Cool

Maybe I'm the only one that feels like this... Or maybe I take it more personally than some... (Or maybe I'm just having a bad day. Mr. Green ) But I just had to rant a little.... I guess I won't give up the hobby yet, but I just don't really care about searching Ebay anymore... Maybe I'll just stick with Yahoo Japan, at least they know how to run an auction site (you aren't allowed to end auctions early there).

Last edited by Rik on Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:17 pm; edited 2 times in total
Linda
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rik, don't let it get you down. Missing this EUROSONIC COSMIC INVADERS last week almost broke my heart.

http://cgi.ebay.com/WORKING-VI.....dZViewItem

I admit years ago I' was guilty of asking sellers to end early if I was going to be out of town and unable to do a last minute bid. However, that was years ago and that's no longer a problem with snipers. I've begged sellers not to end a couple things early and they did anyway and didn't give me chance to bid because they "didn't want to ship to the USA." In two cases a seller ended early and gave me a chance to counter bid. I one case I did and in the other case I didn't trust the seller so I didn't. I don't feel guilty about counter bidding

I HAVE TO believe if we wait long enough these games will all come around again. I'm trying to learn patience, but I do get frustrated also. I've been lucky to build relationships with several foreign sellers who contact me when they have rarer games, so that helps.

By the way, I have traded several games with sexysi247 and he is a great guy. That's my old (NIB) Bandai FL Burgertime he has for sale. I traded him almost all the games I'd previously listed here. I'm not sure if he is a collector as well as a seller, but he seems like a nice guy.

Linda
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I suppose I won't really quit collecting, I'm too addicted. Mr. Green I just get annoyed every now and then at the selfish-ness of people. Usually when someone does this, it's an attempt to rip-off the seller. The buyer knows it's worth $400, but is hoping the seller has no idea and would be thrilled to get a $100 offer. And it usually works.

I know the games will come around again, there's always more than one of any game, but even still it seems to happen with EVERY one that gets listed (think back to the Defender Strikes... If I remember correctly it was two loose ones and two boxed ones, and all of them were suddenly 'no longer available for sale'.)

As for Simon, I'm sure he's okay, I just noticed that he doesn't seem very talkative unless you are buying/selling/trading. Not that there's anything wrong with that, it just surprises me sometimes when people aren't as anxious to talk about the hobby as I am. Cool

Like I said, I just had to rant somewhere... And at least I know I can't get kicked off this board for saying anything. Hehe...

Rik
tanatron
Gakken Moon Patrol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Rik, I don't know if I'm the right person to talk about the handheld collecting world.This said ,I agree with you about eBay as it is getting worse everyday,but I think it's the natural evolution of things.Is the REAL world in which we live everyday got better in the past 10 years?I'm not talking in a general view ,I'm talking about everyday life,work ,social life,about talking with people or lending a helping hand to someone who has a need,everyone thinks and acts all for themselves.I think that people in this present time are REALLY FRUSTRATED about what's going on in the real life ,so they try to find a personal resting place in their hobby,not seeing that they bring all of their anger,frustrations and BAD HABITS , also over there.
If I may,as I'm new of this community,I've found the same attitude here in this forum.It is'n as communicative as it should be!I mean ,c'mon guys collecting is not just buy 'n store.It's about sharing experiences not only about handhelds but about life.Internet has given us the possibility to talk and meet,virtually,with people all over the world .People who we never even thought we could meet.It's a way to make friends,a way to share toughts....This is why in my posts I tried to talk about me ,about my family, about my work or my style of living.I even posted pictures of myself and my family,only to hear someone say "...are you the old man or the older woman..."
No comments about me or my family or the beautiful place where I've been.Nothing .Or you guys have allready seen everything that could be seen in this world or....
Same thing when I talked about other things...sports...uhm!,.....little politics......forget it!food....naw! whatever...And so on.No one seems to care about others life.
I tried to make posts that could go beyond the usual ......me too, yeah, great....wow....
I'm getting a little bit tired of this.Even Roback wrote about the way to make succesful posts in order to make a forum interesting. It's just four or five guys\gals that post.I don't really understand guys like Taki or sexys...Are you afraid to talk and share your experiences?C'mon this whole world is about sharing.Sharing things ,thoughts,ideas,sentiments,whatever,but share it.Open up!

Returning in the collecting argument,having been a compulsive buyer in other times and other collections,to cool myself down , I tell myself that even if I had all the money of this world I would not have the possibility to have ALL the games to make a complete and final collection.So as there is no perfection I might as well take it easy, and as Linda wrote ,those games sooner or later must come around.If they don't it all comes down to the fact that I said before :I 'll never have ALL the games.
So,patience ,patience,patience and faith (small f)!
As a second thought, If for absurdity I had the possibility of owning every game the FUN of searching,meeting peoiple,collecting would also come to an end.
About Sexys I too think he is a good guy(?) ,but when i see that for HIS personal gain (store) he interferes with other collectores whos only goal is just collecting and the enjoying of the games,makes me go a little bit angry.

Alex

Last edited by tanatron on Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tanatron wrote:
This is why in my posts I tried to talk about me ,about my family, about my work or my style of living. I even posted pictures of myself and my family,only to hear someone say "...are you the old man or the older woman..."

It's funny, but maybe that's just a side-affect of reading about stuff on the internet... I remember looking at your pictures and thinking 'Wow, I want to go there'... Not sure why I didn't actually write that... Maybe I was just thinking you would assume that everyone would think that, so it was redundant to comment on it. Cool

I was going to make a joke about you being your son and being impressed that you are in this hobby at such a young age.

And you have to cut Mario101 a little slack anyway. Tact isn't always his strong suit... Mr. Green

I noticed you removed the links to your pictures... You didn't have to do that. I _did_ like seeing them, even if I didn't comment on them...

You should know better than to try to have a civilized conversation about politics anywhere. Rolling Eyes But you guys have had some good talks about sports going on a few times... I think there's just a lot more people here willing to join a conversation than there are people that attempt to start them (myself included...). Roback and Mario are definitely exceptions to this, but even they've been a little quiet lately...

Rik
tanatron
Gakken Moon Patrol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rik, if I don't get wrong it's about midnight over ther in Cali.What are you doing at your computer?Never thought about sleeping? Laughing
I'm sorry if I might have sounded arrogant in my OUTING and I apologize if I hurt someone.Maybe returning from such a beautiful vacation and getting back to the old habits has got me in a bad mood! Sad
But maybe I like to think it's my personal 5 cents to stimulate this beautiful community.
I'm thinking about starting a new topic about where are you going for your vacations .

Alex
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, it's now 2am... and I REALLY need to get to sleep... Mr. Green

Now I have to dig up my Hawaii pictures from last year to share... I can show the 'close' picture I took of lava on one of the volcanoes that I sacrificed all the hair on one hand to take... And melted a shoe... Shocked

Hopefully going back in December...

And, yes, coming home from a great vacation is always a shock...

Rik
mario101
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, don't leave and if you do, will the holw website/forum go down the drain, or put someone esle in charge?
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's cool, I'm not going anywhere... I was just annoyed at the auction and wanted to complain to someone. Cool
blue6demon
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i've only been on ebay for 2 years, and it's a pretty good image of the society, some are nice, some will ignore you and others will try to steal from you ! But 80 % of the people i have dealt with were very nice.

I'm a late comer in the game collecting collectivity but from what i've seen so far, most of you guys (and girl) are real passionates about it ! It's great to be able to share that passion, even with the language barrier Neutral

I really connect with what you say Alex ! I think this forum has nice people and that they have something to share, like you do. Even if it's specialized in handhelds we do have a nice section to talk about anything, so it's pretty important that you keep sharing with us Very Happy And i'll join you !

Rik you better stay with us !!! We need your passion !

Hummm and by the way we need more high scores !!! Come on guys play a bit with those beauties !
Linda
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I hate it when we constantly discuss particular sellers with high prices. I've bought and traded with most of them and somehow it feels disloyal. I just assume if someone is buying for resale then my max bid price as a collector is probably higher than there's and I'll win the game anyway. Or I think maybe they are using their sales to provide money to build their own collection. I think if any of us got two NIB Tiger Jawbreaker tabletops for $50 we would not be selling our extra one for $25 or even $50. So they want to make a huge profit, just don't buy from them then. Live and let live I say.

That being said I'm still a bit pissed because a few weeks ago I offered a seller $1500(not chump change) for a few of his overpriced games which he lists week after week and no one buys and he didn't have the courtesy to respond. I've bought from him several times in the past, but I think I may be done with him now. OK, that felt good to get out... But really, how many thousands do you need to spend to get a freakin' discount? OK, now I'm getting pissed again. I gotta go.

Linda
tanatron
Gakken Moon Patrol

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda,I too consider cheesy a discussion about the high prices of a particular seller.As long as they remain inside the laws everyone is free to do whatever they want.What ,sorry if I use your expression ,pisses me off is like what happened last night.On an auction for a boxed Bandai Gundam VFD games ,sexys snipered me at the last second on a 133 USD bid.As long as I got beaten by you or Rik or others who collect, like for example jcabwg or whoever, I don't give a damn because it's part of the game ,it will go on someone else collection,but when someone who plans to make profits on that game and that guy is the ONLY one that beats me....well that pisses me off !!! Evil or Very Mad
It's like playing against someone who dosn't follow the same rules of the game!It's kinda frustrating!

Alex
Eggie
Tiger Jawbreaker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

It's very sad Rik. I saw it yesterday and i want to bid on that rare V-tech game.

Also.... be awake voor V-Tech games and ask the colour of the LCD's.
I figured out that the Mini Time fun games have back LCD's and no brown (see also on you site by the telephone game). The filters are dicoulerd! I have 3 games in this serie and i bought a second Hippo Teeth, this one had black LCD's. And one tripple screens was black when i bought it and after 2 years one screen was also brown. What i want to say: Maby this game is not ok and a tip for everyone to ask before you buy V-tech games. I'll be awake that the games wil be defect in the future so be awake to give to much money for a game.

I'm angry about this kinf of selling, a saw a lot of games wich aren ended before the end of the auction. Some people want to re-sell it so then you can figure out who this bidders arre.

If i have very rare games doubble i contact you. I bought the most of times not on Ebay, i have my own sources Smile

Regards and good luck.
nicknicknickandnick
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've seen plenty of "no longer available for sale" auctions myself. A shame. But sometimes I see that the question to "buy it now" has been placed at the bottom, and the seller answers no, which is pleasing. Oh, how I would love it to have the seller name the asker in the reply!

I have hobbies coming out of my ears (that means lots). I imagine someday I'll take time out to take nice pictures and even videos of my electronic games in action, and start a hobby website that includes the game collection and other things.

Most forums seem to have (unwanted) drama, and this one is pretty easygoing compared to most that I check out. Others that have maybe a little more drama but are fine for me are the Twistypuzzles forum and the Lemon64 (Commodore 64) forum. Another that I visit has almost no activity sometimes, but I like because I followed the people as it changed from a classic video game forum to a merger with a variety forum, to another variety forum, downwardlymobile.net.
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry several of you are having trouble with unscrupulous bidders on Ebay. As I can't bid anyware near high enough to even think of winning most of these rare games, I'm sort of immune from the problem so haven't noticed it much. I wish all countries Ebays were the same as Japans though and made all auctions run till their original closing time.

Another thing I haven't noticed is the pictures of Alex and his family Sad .Where were/are they? I'd like to think I read every message posted on the Forum (even Mario's Razz ) but I'm still having problems with not being notified of new messages and only stumbled on this thread by chance when the shocking title caught my eye!

Simon chatted to me most recently about the price of games :-

"hi neil.
is it me or are all the vintage game prices going through the roof :0)
thanks for noticing 1000 feedback .you made my day,cheers all the best simon(mad bloke who keeps buying vintage games!)"

He seems like a nice bloke to me judging by this and the other times we have 'spoken' . This was quite a long time ago, I think before he started selling games in a big way.

Neil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Games forsale All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: