The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Newbie and stoked!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Forum issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flyingethan
Tomy Blip

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Newbie and stoked! Reply with quote

Hi all!

Rik, thanks for creating a very cool site.

As my post suggests, I am new to this site and to handheld games. Actually, I am not totally new to handhelds but I haven't played/ owned one since 1982 (except for gameboy advanced but I'm talking LED's). When I was a kid I always wanted all of these games. My parents couldn't afford them but some of my friends had them. I wanted the Entex Space Invaders soooo bad the X-mas it came out. Well, I got it and was so stoked I played that game for hours and hours (like most of us on this site have probably done with our favorite games). I also had the Mattel Baseball game in the late 70's that my grandfather gave to me (for my birthday I think). Sadly, the baseball game disappeared shortly thereafter and the the Entex game got "lost" while moving to a new house when I was a kid.

Now that I am all grown up and can afford some of these games I decided to see what's out there. This, of course, after I saw the Mattel Baseball and Football games for sale at Walmart when they were re-issued a few years back. I saw them with my wife but just couldn't justify buying them at the time (I was pretty much broke at the time, but still, what was I thinking?). I remember walking by them in the toy area and telling my wife "wow, look at these, these are cool. I didn't know these were being made". I have been telling my wife for about two years now that I really want the Mattel Baseball and Football II game of the late 70's and wish that Mattel still made them.

Well, my desire to play these games has been increasing over the years and I finally I decided to see where I could find these games. I looked in different stores to no avail and then I googled handhelds. That's when I came across the Hand Held Museum. I was totally amazed that people collect these games, that these games are "out there" and available, and that I am not alone in thinking that these games are totally fun to play. Anyways, here I am. I have a pretty good feeling that my wife is going to make me a happy guy this X-mas (strictly speaking handheld games). I am not the kind of guy that wants to "collect" these games. I just want to play them. I will probably end up with games on my living room table that are always there because they are always getting played. However, if I do buy anything boxed or mint I will definitely not leave the game out where my six year old can get to it. I do realize the value of the games in boxes, with instructions, in mint condition, etc.. I do think that aesthetically these games are cool and they are very nostalgic to me. But, I just want to play them.

Thanks for reading.
Cheers!

p.s. if anybody does read this, how do you folks who collect these games display them at home? Or, do you display them at home? Do you keep them in a box in your closet? Do you put them on shelves somewhere? I'm curious. Thanks.
blue6demon
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ! and welcome to the forum ! I play a lot of these games, i'm basically an old gamer so i understand perfectly your point of view Very Happy

As for displaying my games i don't have the space to do it yet so they are pretty crowded on some shelves, i always have a couple in display in the living room with batteries in them for my friends or visitors to try ! It does bring back memories to some and others are plain curious... it was funny to explain to my 17 years old nephew that it was kind of an ancestor to the Nintendo DS Laughing

Pat
flyingethan
Tomy Blip

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

Thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure anybody would put the time in to read my post. Yeah, it's hard for younger folks to understand just how cool these games were at one time. It's also hard for people who don't understand our affinity (is that the right word?) for these games. There was probably a ten year period, or so, where those of us who lived during that time understand the fun in these games. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong. But thanks anyways.

Ethan

p.s. I am not sure how I am going to display my games once I start amassing a collection. One thing for sure, I will end up with a lot of games. All of them played by me.
blue6demon
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good ! I hope you'll find all the games you want !!! And don't forget there is a high score section, not a lot of people using it, maybe you can revive it a bit Wink

Pat
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for displaying collections, check out the 'Brag Section' here:

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=10

There's images of my collection and several others. Mine are kind of just stuffed on shelves, with a majority of the collection boxed in storage (way too many to display). I also take them to classic gaming shows and display them there (pictures in the first article at the above link).

But, if you aren't out to collect 100's of games, you can easily have a nice little display on a few shelves. I have all the Coleco Arcade games (Pac-Man, Frogger, Galaxian, etc) on a little display shelf at work so people can play them. Always gets a few comments from clients when they tour the company. Cool

Rik
flyingethan
Tomy Blip

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys,

I will post some of my high scores when I think they're worthy. I appreciate all the input. I will definitely display my games somewhere in my house. I would love to go to a hand-held convention too. Next time it rolls around I'll have to make it out. Let the games begin.

Merry Christmas &

Cheers all!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Forum issues All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: