The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Ever had some phishing attempt on a lost ebay auction ?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
blue6demon
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Ever had some phishing attempt on a lost ebay auction ? Reply with quote

I had that 2 times now, the person has info about the game i bidded on and tells me that the other person could not buy it after all blablabla...

Anyone ?
Dan
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you saying the seller is contacting you? (In which case I'd suspect shill bidding, with the shill bids being too aggressive and accidentally winning...)
blue6demon
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No not the seller, someone who would like me to think that it's the seller though.

They then ask for your personnal adress as a confirmation, of course ebay would never ask the seller to ask the buyer for an adress to confirm it's ID.

And this game just sold recently, had the mail a couple of hours after.

As for shill bidding, tha would not be the case because Alex bidded higher than me, lost it also.
tanatron
Gakken Moon Patrol

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat , what was the game or the auction?

I receive almost daily the classical phishing about my ebay account, something like.....we need to know your credit card number in order to make the payment for the Nokia phone that we bought from you...... but not from someone who contacts you right at the end of an auction.

Alex
blue6demon
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex, it was that boxed hockey game, kinda mattel clone, don't remember who made it, it's one that you don't see often.

I do get those other phishing you talk about, but this one even gives me the amount i bidded on the item, so that guy is following bidders to know where and how much they bid.

Pat
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I get this all the time... Is your Email address 'your eBay ID @ yahoo.com' (or gmail, hotmail, earthlink, etc)? That's usually how they find you. I have Rik1138@ yahoo and Gmail (but I never use Gmail, so don't send me messages there...), and I'll get the exact same message at both Emails whenever I get these, so it's just some con artist trying all the obvious variations of your eBay ID as an Email to see if they can find you.

Then they ask for personal info, or they will send you link 'to eBay' to pay for the auction (phising site), or they want you to pay with Western Union MO... Don't respond to them AT ALL. Even writing back and telling them to leave you alone will verify they have found a valid Email address... You don't even want them to know you saw it...

It's all B.S. of course... ANY message legitimately sent from eBay (by them or by a seller) will also be in your 'My Messages' folder when you log into eBay. Only respond from there...

Also, eBay never prevents buyers from paying for an auction for 'security reasons'. That always seems to be the text in the Emails I get like this... Rolling Eyes

FYI- this is why eBay recommends that you do not use the prefix of your Email as your eBay ID. Mine's been that way for 10 years, I'm not about to change it though. Cool

People will also try to contact you directly through eBay with this kind of scam, but it's less common since there's some sort of digital trail through eBay... If you think it's legit, have them list the item with a BIN on eBay, and only pay with PayPal... If they refuse, forget it.

Rik
blue6demon
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i do have the same email, my hotmail is the same. At least i know i'm not the only one in that situation, so it's just another form of phishing.

Thanks Rik !
tanatron
Gakken Moon Patrol

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really has to be like that, as I have not received anything on that Toytronic Hockey, and I've been the second higher bidder by far.
I've been in contact for some time with the seller and he has SEVERAL NOS games still to sell and more copies for each game , but he said didn't know what games as he was discovering things as he opened new boxes from a ceassed toy store. I got games from him for half the price Linda paid to beat me! Twisted Evil But this is an other matter,a flaming argument if someone may want to talk it over. Wink

Alex
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, point him my way if he extras of stuff... Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: