The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What's your favourite vintage game, and why?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Panic Button
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: What's your favourite vintage game, and why? Reply with quote

Don't think I've seen this question asked on the forum before...

Favourites for their use of technology:
My fav's here are probably the Rosy 3D series: Astro Vader, Space Galaxy, Puck N Monster.

Why?

Because I love the way the VFD play area appears to float in space above the background. Though use of mirrors is employed in other games - eg. Zaxxon, I think the Rosy's use it to best effect.

I don't have an Adventure Vision, so maybe my choice would be different if I did!

Favourites for their graphics
Game with the best sprites goes to Bandai Kampf der Monster - I just love that shade of deep blue, and they're some pretty detailed sprites too!

Honorable mention also goes to Thomas the Tank Engine, which has some colourful action going on too!

Favourites for their physical appearance
This is what I love about handhelds, their crazy retro futuristic designs and shapes, so this is probably the toughest one to call cos I love lots of them!

The Coleco tabletop series - Pacman, Ms Pacman, Galaxian, Frogger, Donkey Kong have the best sticker art on them, easily.

But favourite case design? Bandai Pair Match has a great pyramid shape, and Lakeside Electronic Perfection also has a very space age look, with it's blue dome cover...
The Bambino case designs to Space Laser Fight/Boxing and Football/Basketball are both quite exotic.

Entex Stargate uses colour to great effect and has the best marquee i think.

Bandai's Algas gundam figure is a great disguise for a game, and I lovingly applied the mass of enclosed decals to my naked mech to give it that personalised touch.

But maybe my current fav. in this department is Goliath's Lucky Pucky in red with it's bulbous lozenge like shape.

Again, possesion of an AV might mean a change of mind!

So what are your favourites then?
blue6demon
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your idea, i think we should even have a section for it. Kind of a ''best of'' section.

There's a lot of options. Best head to head game, most complicated game, weirdest game, etc...

What do you think ?

Pat
LEDFreak
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good idea...
WiL
Tomy Blip

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:28 am    Post subject: My fave VFD ever is Invader From Space, by Grandstand: Reply with quote

My fave VFD ever is Invader From Space, by Grandstand, the Space Invaders clone, as it just gets the level of playability right and despite it's simplicity (I always prefer the simpler ones myself, especially anything space themed) it has enough clever ideas to keep it tricky to complete without ever feeling you're being the victim of unfair chance or display limits.

It's the only one in my collection that never gets put away.

I have a real soft spot for Tomy's Tron too, and my fave Pacman clone is the unoffical Puck Monster by Gakken.

My faves for sheer graphical loveliness are Firefox F7, which has a curiously 3D look and great sound, and Star Force (both by Grandstand), which looks great both graphically (so starry) and in the casing design, and I love the joystick, although I hate the sound and it has too many limiting rules that are neither intuitive nor fun (a criticism you can also make of Firefox and many of the later more complex tabletop games) and everything just goes on way too long.

My least favourite of my collection is Grandstands Scramble, as the limitations of it's method of display and control makes the movement so 'chunky' as to be almost unplayable. The Tomy/Hale game Astro Blaster is my fave of this genre, especially for the lovely 'buzzy' sound.
bomberpunk
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

these are at the top of my list:
Double Dragon II (tiger lcd)
Tomy Tron (tabletop vfd)
rainlynx
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the Arade...I would saw Dig 1 & 2 where great. Joust II in the arcade was fun. Ikari Warriors. Marve vs Capcom still fun

In the Home video games...I would say Mike Tysons Punchout was truely a masterpiece to this day. Super Punchout was okay. Tecmo Bowl was fun.

Mario brothers and Solaris for Atari 2600 was lots of fun for old systems

Handhelds...I remember someone brought in a Coleco Table top Pacman System in Second game and I got caught trying to steal it in second grade while everyone was on lunchbreak:)

Dungeons and Dragons was cool handheld

Tomy 3-D Racing system was awesome, always a fight over that game
zobbo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm

I like my streetfighter watch, always got it on and it looks cool. Ran out of batteries a while back tho Very Happy

Im also a big fan of the super mario bros game and watch, its a fun game! and the time setting/alarm setting is easy to change without sticking pins in it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: