The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Official 'COOL ITEM ON EBAY!' thread...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 93, 94, 95  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Games forsale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say you were the second highest bidder, but it looks like you bid the same amount. How can he bid the same amount 5 times?

1 cent more and it was yours I think!

Neil.
Dan
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil UK wrote:
You say you were the second highest bidder, but it looks like you bid the same amount. How can he bid the same amount 5 times?

That's just what it shows when the high bidder has even higher bids entered than his currently winning bid.

Neil UK wrote:
1 cent more and it was yours I think!

So, no...
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if the winner had bid higher then Ebay would have automatically bid up to the next highest bid point or to the winners maximum bid (whichever is the lower). As this didn't happen they must have bid exactly the same amount.

So I still think he lost it by 1 cent.

That's how it works on UK Ebay anyway Confused

Neil.
tanatron
Gakken Moon Patrol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the levels of his bids that were surpassed by Panic Button,1500,1600,1700,1800 , he made every step by $ 100 so my guess is that the bids that were not beaten were of 1900,2000,2100,and finally $2200. That's the way I've always seen thing go on Ebay when someone maked multiple bids raising his highest one.
Neil, if you look at eBays rules if there are 2 bids of the same amount the one that was made before the other will be the winner.They both made the 1800 offer but since he made a higher bid of approximately $2200, that was the level (1800) thet the guy will pay for the game.

Alex
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Alex,
I agree that if 2 bids are equal then the person who bid first will win. I thought thought that if the winner had bid 1900,2000 etc as you suggest then the winning bid would be higher than the 1800. After all it is a winning bid and not just an equal bid to another earlier bid.

For example, when you won the Witty bid from me yesterday you paid exactly £1 more than my highest bid, which as you bid more than me is fair enough (though it hurts to say that Wink ).

Are you saying that if you had bid the same as my maximum and earlier than me, then put a higher bid in before I bid then you would have won the Witty for the £23.64 that I bid? I think this is what you are saying happened with Panic Attack bids.

If this is a clever way of reducing the size of our winning bids, maybe we should all put in many small increment bids rather than one or two bigger bids.

http://offer.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewBids&item=370107553642

Neil.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that actually doesn't make sense... Tuba made all of his bids on Nov 11th. He made multiple bids, so that explains the multiple $1800's... Panic placed his bid on Nov15th, and was auto-outbid by Tuba... So the bid should have gone up to $1850 (or whatever the next increment is).

They only way (that I can think of) for the bidding to end like it would be if Tuba had bid $1800, Panic matched that bid (but lost), and then Tuba decided to raise his bid after that time to insure the win... But the time-stamps on the bids don't reflect that...

Maybe I'm missing something...

Maybe if you place a 1700, 1800, and 1900 bid separately, and someone else bids 1800, the system won't automatically increase the bid, just indicate that you lost because someone else bid that amount first... That could be a handy trick to save a little money on auto-increments...

Rik
tanatron
Gakken Moon Patrol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I would like to ask Panic Button, and I think will clear things up, is when he placed his $1800 bid 9 seconds before the end of the auction (16-nov-08 01:51:52 CET - 16-nov-08 01:52:01 CET) what was the message that the eBay system gave him.
In red letters telling him that his bid was not enough, inviting him to raise it?
Anyway, this auctions explains ,at least to me, what I always read about eBays rules, and never raelly understood clearly and most of all practicably.What do they mean when they say that when 2 bids are of the same amount , the one made before the other is the one that wins.How could there be 2 equal bids ? Maybe this is just the case.

Alex
tanatron
Gakken Moon Patrol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going for this Tomy Monster Burger game as I have already a never used one, But I made 4 bids at the 10,20,30,40 level.
Will someone please make a $30 or $40 bid? (it will surely go higher anyway, so its just a kind of an experiment).

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA.....amp;ih=008

Alex
kisember
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tanatron wrote:

Will someone please make a $30 or $40 bid? (it will surely go higher anyway, so its just a kind of an experiment).

It was $5.5 when I bid $10 and (obviously) you still the highest bidder with $10, as we expected.
bleepytoys
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tanatron wrote:
What do they mean when they say that when 2 bids are of the same amount , the one made before the other is the one that wins.How could there be 2 equal bids ? Maybe this is just the case.
Alex

hi alex!

isn't this the case when two snipers are programmed to place a bid at the same time with the same amount?? afaik that's the only situation this can happen?
the question is there : wich one is the first bid then...

cheers

mike
Panic Button
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One thing I would like to ask Panic Button, and I think will clear things up, is when he placed his $1800 bid 9 seconds before the end of the auction (16-nov-08 01:51:52 CET - 16-nov-08 01:52:01 CET) what was the message that the eBay system gave him.

As far as I recall, I was told I was outbid and invited to raise my bid, but then the auction ended before I could raise further
tanatron
Gakken Moon Patrol

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike, well I think that is just an other scenario.They might have an internal clock that counts the fraction of a second , as far as I know, to resolve those matters.
This is an other thing that might be resolved just by looking at kisember bid at 10 :

If noboby would bid any further I will win the game paying only $ 10.00 and not $10.01 or $11.00.
That's the point !!
If you make an other bid at $20.00 the result would be the same : I would win the auction paying only $20.00 because I made the 20 bid before you did.

Neil said:
Quote:
For example, when you won the Witty bid from me yesterday you paid exactly £1 more than my highest bid, which as you bid more than me is fair enough (though it hurts to say that ).

That was an other story , or I should say a REGULAR one, I sniped you at the very last second but my bid had a value of over £60.00 so it is not correct to say that you lost it by a Pound. You lost it (virtually) by £40.00 !
What if on the Monster Burger game I made a $400 bid instead of the $40 one? If your higher bid would have reached ,say $200, I would have won it anyway at $200.00 but I was willing to pay it $400, so you would have had a long way to go ,in order to buy it.

Alex
kisember
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bleepytoys wrote:
tanatron wrote:
What do they mean when they say that when 2 bids are of the same amount , the one made before the other is the one that wins.How could there be 2 equal bids ? Maybe this is just the case.
Alex

hi alex!

isn't this the case when two snipers are programmed to place a bid at the same time with the same amount?? afaik that's the only situation this can happen?
the question is there : wich one is the first bid then...

cheers

mike

Maybe I misunderstood something but it seems obvious for me.
If you look at any auction you see the second highest bid, but not the highest. Then you may bid the same amount (by chance) that the highest one. It very often happens, I bet.
It also means that each product sold for the price the second higher bidder offered (or the starting price).
Dan
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting. The eBay proxy bid system misses a chance to add a bid increment. It sees two bids for the same amount and gives the tie to the older one, meanwhile it neglects to check for a higher bid from the winner of the tie.

I am surprised eBay missed a chance to make more money!

As a strategy, it's probably not worth the effort, though. The time it takes to enter all those bids will not be worth the savings for as often as it works. And sniping with one big bid at the end is a better strategy anyway. (And don't forget to add those some odd cents!)
Dan
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA.....0275025787

Linda still hopes to find a working Long Bomb? I say they're all shot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Games forsale All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 55, 56, 57 ... 93, 94, 95  Next
Page 56 of 95

Jump to: