The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Loose/damaged/cracked but working Palmtex Super Micro
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Games wanted
View previous topic :: View next topic  
physics223
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 3:05 pm    Post subject: Loose/damaged/cracked but working Palmtex Super Micro Reply with quote

Well, while waiting for Rik's video of the game Embarassed I just thought I should make this post despite how absurd it seems to be. Does anyone have a loose Palmtex Super Micro they can freely let go of? I'm very willing to pay with my savings (although I can't go the full monty with a boxed amount or something). As long as it works decently and there's a cartridge going along with it (whether React Attack or Aladdin's Adventures), I don't really mind if it's unboxed, or without the LightPak, or with just one cartridge, or partially damaged, as long as it works.

I'm just hoping the price wouldn't be as exorbitant as a unit in pristine and complete condition, if you guys don't mind. Smile

Thanks for reading.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm curious about a couple of things:
How did you even hear about this system? I had never heard of it when I got the one I have, and now everyone uses my site as reference for it... I'm just curious how many people have heard of it outside of the Museum

How many people here even have this system? I'm not really sure what it's actually worth since the only person I think I've seen trying to sell one just had a BIN of $1000 or something ridiculous, and it never sold (so it's obviously not worth that).

I tried playing it for a bit last night, and couldn't figure it out. Cool I actually had to read the manual... It's a surprisingly complicated game (React Attack), and I found myself playing for about an hour... It's also really dark, but I'm going to attempt to record myself playing it... Not sure how it will look.

Rik
physics223
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's stated as one of the early prototypes of handheld gaming consoles @ Wikipedia: article. From that point on I just looked up more on the system, and so I ended up on your site. I was able to play a Lynx when I was a kid, and I had a Game Boy, so it wasn't too difficult from that point on. However, the console was a void I needed to address with research. It was simply difficult since there aren't any videos around in the Internet, unlike the more modern stuff like the Dingoo or the GP2X

Even the Lynx has its video, and the Epoch Game Pocket Computer also has pictures of gameplay and video. Looking up other forums on the Internet an unboxed one was sold in pristine condition about three years ago for 100 USD on eBay. I can spend within that space. 100-150 USD is my upper limit, but the system is a monument of history, so I don't mind.

If you have plans on selling your system for <200 USD, I'd like to purchase it, although I'll just purchase it then pay you in increments. Embarassed Confused

I was able to contact (maybe someone from this forum) a guy who was selling his system for 495 USD. It's clearly out of my reach, but a collector's world is not my own.

I hate being a student from a third-world country, but hey.

Also, thanks for taking the time and effort to video it. I really appreciate the help!

PS: I have some games around, I doubt they're rare, but I have a boxed Tronica Air Revenger, a loose Entex Turtles, Tandy Kingman, Game Child, and a Television Tennis pong game. If you guys are up for a trade I'd be very willing (to spend less Laughing haha).

Anyway, thanks for the reply.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the Wiki link, never noticed that before... I was just curious how you (and others) had even heard of it (just wanted to make sure there wasn't some history behind it I didn't know... Cool )

Video has been achieved, I only played it for a bit, but you can see it pretty good. I'm having trouble uploading it to YouTube right now, so I'll do it tomorrow from work (much better internet connection there). I'll post a note here when it's up...

Rik
physics223
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Can't wait for it. Smile

There's actually really no history behind it. Yours is actually already the comprehensive database I've read.

Is there actually an ending for React Attack? Pardon me, but I find that interesting that in a system with a 16x32 set of pixels! Smile
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the object of React Attack is to find the missing control rods (or cores or something) of the nuclear reactor and get them back in place before it explodes. You have a time limit (15 minutes), and 48 different rooms to search for keys, rope, a ladder, boots, geiger counter, etc... And an occasional bad guy to watch out for... You either run out of time, or succeed... It appears that the rooms are the same every time you play it (at least on the easiest level), so once you know where everything is, the replay value might be less...

I should probably scan the instructions as well, so the video makes a little more sense... Smile I thought they were online somewhere, but I can't find them now.

I'm attempting the video upload now.

Rik
physics223
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I forgot to say this, but I really don't mind if you just uploaded it to either Rapidshare or Megaupload. I can just download the video itself. I don't really mind! If it can't be uploaded on YouTube or any streaming site, I'm very willing to download the video itself!

Thanks, once again!
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what's up YouTube. I've uploaded several videos right out of this same camera with no problem. It doesn't seem to want to work today.
The original file is 480MB (1080p HD video... Rolling Eyes ), I made a little 'iPhone' Quicktime out of it and put it on MegaUpload:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=EVA811E5

I'm uploading the original file too (.m2ts, blu-ray format) in case you want to see it... I'll post that link when it's done.

Once you get it, I might have to describe it a little, this is what was going to post on YouTube:

This is the vintage Palmtex Super-Micro Cartridge system, with the React Attack cartridge being played. The flashing square is you, other clearly visible areas are walls, closets, etc to go into to look for items. The column on the left is your time limit (15 minutes), the column on the right shows your inventory and what room (out of 4Cool you are in. Your score is also displayed here when you want to see it. I only played for about 4 minutes, haven't actually finished it yet.

Rik
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the original file:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=PBKAXNYT

Rik
physics223
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The blurb on the cartridge seems so different from the real thing. I laughed when you snorted at one point in the video - I was wondering whether you were thinking about how boring the game was.

I think I expected too much out of a 1983 handheld console, but I understand why it absolutely failed so hard. If you have the time to run through the whole game I'd gladly watch it as well! Thank you very much for the video. I really appreciate the time and the effort you've put into helping me.

Very Happy
physics223
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I was wondering why the HD file lagged my computer. I mean I have enough RAM and processor speed to take it on ...

The mp4 played really well, though. Smile

Thanks!
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

physics223 wrote:
The blurb on the cartridge seems so different from the real thing. I laughed when you snorted at one point in the video - I was wondering whether you were thinking about how boring the game was.
Very Happy

Did I? Ooops, I was trying to be really quiet while playing... I was debating giving a commentary so you could see what I was doing since it's probably hard to tell what's going on just by the video.

There's two 8-directional controls on the game, one of them moves your player, the other moves the highlight in the little area of your inventory on the right column. Whatever item is highlighted is what you are using, and you need different things for different obstacles. I haven't played it all the way through yet, and it probably does look boring to watch, but it's actually kind of a neat game. I think the boring part would come from having to do it all over again if you die 95% of the way in...

It is a pretty clever game design though. I'm really curious about the other cartridges now, wish I had them...

Rik
physics223
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the bad guy that moving red square? Smile

Also, what are the RMP/ABC buttons do for this game?

And there are five keys, a rope, a ladder ... and I don't know what's on the right hand part of the inventory except for the reactor.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

physics223 wrote:
Is the bad guy that moving red square? Smile

Yep, the bad guy circles a storage location, and you can't come into contact with him at all or you get sent back to the very beginning of the game. Not too hard to run past him, but you do have to pay attention...

physics223 wrote:
Also, what are the RMP/ABC buttons do for this game?

R: Reset (like when you turn the game on)
M: Mute
P: Pause
A, B, C: programmable buttons (in this game A picks up an item that might be in a storage location, and I think B shows your score. One of them might be used in the final stage to finish the game, I'll have to read the instructions again.

physics223 wrote:
And there are five keys, a rope, a ladder ... and I don't know what's on the right hand part of the inventory except for the reactor.

It's a 3x4 grid at the very top.
First column:
Key symbol (doesn't do anything)
Key 1
Key 2
Key 3

Second column:
Key 4
Key 5
Rope
Ladder

Third column:
Boots
Radiation Suit
Geiger Counter
Lantern

You can enter a completely dark room sometimes, and selecting the lantern will 'turn on the lights'.
Rope, Ladder and Boots are used to cross certain colored barriers. (If you watch closely, you see/hear a buzz when I run into certain barriers (blue, red, pink), and then you will see the highlight moving in the inventory list. When it selects a certain item, I can then move forward to enter the storage location or leave the room.)
Geiger counter tells when you are in a room with the control rods I think (or maybe the reactor room itself).
Radiation Suit is needed to put the rods into the reactor, I think it's only used at the end of the game.

Next thing down is 'SCORE', then 'ROOM' and 3 columns of 0-9, for a theoretical max score of 999.

Rik
physics223
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw that during the last few seconds when you hit the guy and got taken back to the very first room.

Really grateful that you did this for me. I guess I'm disappointed because I expected something like Mario Bros., but the technology is very primitive. Nevertheless, it'll help me get over my fixation and present a good paper as well. Thank you very much for this - I give credit where it's due, and you've been a whole lot of help.

I mean, I was thinking that it would somewhat be like the Colorvision. Seeing this means that the Colorvision was better off in terms of gameplay and the games themselves. Outflank is practically the simplest game of the bunch, seeing that it's just Othello and the Super Micro is made up of squares. I'm also pretty curious with Aladdin's Adventures, so I'm praying to God and hoping that I can find a unit in good condition at a great price.

If you've some time I'd like to see you finish the game, even at the easiest setting. I was just wondering what it would sound like or look like if you finished it! Smile

Thanks a lot, once more, for everything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Games wanted All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: