The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Weeeeeird..... Tomy Break Up.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LM
Microvision

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 12:16 am    Post subject: Weeeeeird..... Tomy Break Up. Reply with quote

OK, this is odd.

First, the game uses a 9v and three AA batteries. Weird.

The strangest part is that it seems to need a 'warm up' before working.
Like, I turn it on (brand new batteries) and the display takes 30 seconds to a minute before lighting up.

If you push a button when it's on but unlit, it does actuate the game and you can hear it (the "ball" falling without getting hit) so you know the system is active... You just have to wait for it to warm up, like the really old TV sets.

Is this normal?
I've never encountered a handheld game that had a 'warmup time'.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It certainly isn't normal, the game should just come on right away... I don't have one handy (in storage), but I'm guessing the two sets of batteries might be for different components of the game. One set might just power the lights themselves, and the other set controls all the circuitry... I'd have to look at the inside to be sure... (One of those games I never played with much...)

As for why you are having the delayed lights, the only thing I can think of is maybe a capacitor that's gone bad, and has to 'charge' for a few seconds before the game can work...

If you turn the game off (after it's working properly) and then right back on, does it still take 30 seconds to 'warm up'? Or it only if it's been off for a few minutes?

Rik
LM
Microvision

PostPosted: Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rik wrote:

If you turn the game off (after it's working properly) and then right back on, does it still take 30 seconds to 'warm up'? Or it only if it's been off for a few minutes?

Rik

You're definitely on the right track...

If you let it warm up, play it, turn it off then right back on, it's fine.

If you let it warm up, play it, turn it off and let it sit for a while, it has to 'warm up' again.
radiorob1

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I will agree with the capacitor theory.
My guess its the largest, possibly only, ELECTROLYTIC capacitor in the game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: