The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Rollet (Gakken) Super Cobra, extremely rare handle variant

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Games forsale
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcmarkham

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Rollet (Gakken) Super Cobra, extremely rare handle variant Reply with quote

Recently I came across an amazing find at a consignment store... a boxed with manual (in French), mint Rollet Super Cobra table top! Everything is EXACTLY as pictured from the photos posted on this link:
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Misc/RolletSuperCobra.htm
and in this thread:
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1230

I'm more of a classic home-gaming systems collector myself, and that's what I typically look for, but when I saw it, I instinctively knew that there must be people out there who'd be dying to add something that special and rare to their collection.

I was even more pleased that when I bought it and brought it home that it's in almost-perfect shape. It's as though it's hardly ever been touched, like it's been stored it in a cupboard for decades. It's only flaw is that the control panel bezel is a bit warped -- most likely from decades of existing in the frequent heat/humidity of the climate here in Taiwan. (Tangent: it was manufactured here in Taiwan to be sold in France. Maybe one the manufacturer workers took this lost little puppy home 28 years ago?)

I've made a short video of the unit with it's box, packaging foam, and French manual. The power switch can select modes either with or without sound, and I demonstrate both in the video. Download and watch the video from here:
http://www.yourfilelink.com/get.php?fid=606826

Being not-as-familiar with the hand held game realm of collecting, I'm open to suggestions and comments. Any advice is welcome. I'd prefer not post it on Ebay, so I figured I'd solicit offers for it here first. Please PM me if you'd like to make an offer... or just for the hell of it.

I'm living here in Taiwan, but relatives are currently visiting me and I'll be sending the unit back with them to the United States. After February 18th, it will be available for shipping within the USA, making shipping costs far cheaper than me sending it to you from Taiwan.

Thanks for your time and any comments you wish to make.
dcmarkham

PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a few PMs asking for more details about the nature of the warped control panel bezel. So I took three close up photos from various angles to show my meaning.

Upon closer inspection, I'm convinced that this is not warping due to humidity or heat or any kind of elemental wear at all. It appears to be a manufacturing error -- the plastic underneath the bezel is only a tiny bit warped, which is only apparent just above where it meets the handle. The bezel decal is warped because (now that I look at it closely) apparently it was inserted on the plastic incorrectly during manufacture. This would make sense as to why this unit must have stayed in Taiwan and was not sent to France for retail sale -- it must have been considered to have manufacturing defects due to the control panel bezel not being applied evenly and flat. Very interesting.

In all appearances, even with the bezel as it is, the entire unit looks and feels as new as the day it was manufactured. It has been very well preserved these past three decades.

Hope this helps.
dcmarkham

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This unit has been sold and is currently being shipped to the buyer. Thanks to everyone who expressed interest and made offers.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Games forsale All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: