The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Meggy Jr LED Handheld System

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Inventor's forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steveOR
Mattel Football

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Meggy Jr LED Handheld System Reply with quote

Hi, Steve here from miniarcade.com ... Wanted to share with everyone a new LED handheld platform. Its a kit designed by an inventor and its based on AVR and Arduino technologies. I just finished programming my take on Donkey Kong called Super Monkey Kong! Please you guys, correct me if I'm wrong, but has there ever been an LED Donkey Kong type game? I couldn't think of one. Was there an LED frogger? Well anyways there are now!

Have you ever wanted to design a handheld game? Have you been jealous of all the homebrew gaming action that the console dudes get to partake in? Well, here you are. Buy a Meggy Jr kit, build it up, download some of the free games, and maybe try making one yourself! Or just play Smile

This system has only been out for a couple months. So far there is also a Froggy game, Space Invaders, something a bit like Scramble, Fireman Fireman, Simon, and some ball drop type games. All these games programmed by electronics/game fans, not corporations. Games are programmed in 'C' not assembly thank god! And the code library is fairly easy to learn. I am not affiliated with the Meggy Jr kit system, I just like it and thought you would all like to know about it and would like to see some of the true handheld freaks out there make some games. The Evil Mad Scientist has lowered the bar for you. The kit, instructions, and programming API are very high quality.

Meggy Jr Page:
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/article.php/meggyjr

Source Code and games:
http://code.google.com/p/meggy-jr-rgb/downloads/list

Will be posting a video of the LED Kong game soon here:
http://www.stevenread.com/supermonkeykong

Best,
Steve
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Forum Steve. It's great to see someone else post something in the 'inventors' slot.

The machine sounds and looks cool but I'm having trouble imagining how the screen would look playing a game such as Donkey Kong. The resolution looks too low, or does the screen scroll as you climb higher?

Can each LED be any of the colours shown?

Great work!

Neil.
steveOR
Mattel Football

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Neil. The limitations are half the fun Smile But I suppose with so many lcd systems out there, iphones, etc, this sort of thing isn't for everyone. Yeah, I went with an upward screen-scroll design, right now it takes 5 screens to get to Kong. Each screen has 3 girder/ladder sets. Plenty o' barrels (rolling and falling), hammers, etc. Each of the LED pixels can be any of the available colors (~255 possible), not a full spectrum but pretty good. And the little piezo speaker is incredible, playing 70+ different frequencies. The inventor even just figured out how to connect these together for realtime 2 player gaming.

I had an account here and had posted a few times, but couldn't get the account pass reset thing to work. I have a new email anyways so made a new one...
Steven
nixontech2071
Microvision

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveOR wrote:
Hey Neil. The limitations are half the fun Smile But I suppose with so many lcd systems out there, iphones, etc, this sort of thing isn't for everyone. Yeah, I went with an upward screen-scroll design, right now it takes 5 screens to get to Kong. Each screen has 3 girder/ladder sets. Plenty o' barrels (rolling and falling), hammers, etc. Each of the LED pixels can be any of the available colors (~255 possible), not a full spectrum but pretty good. And the little piezo speaker is incredible, playing 70+ different frequencies. The inventor even just figured out how to connect these together for realtime 2 player gaming.

I had an account here and had posted a few times, but couldn't get the account pass reset thing to work. I have a new email anyways so made a new one...
Steven

As somebody who totally didnt see this before, I have to shake your hand at such incredible use of old gaming technology. This is the microvision of the 2000's.
steveOR
Mattel Football

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Le Video:
http://www.stevenread.com/supermonkeykong

Yessss! Yessss! Yessss!
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's impressive! And you got the death sound perfect! Mr. Green

Nice work...

Rik
steveOR
Mattel Football

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yo thanks Rik! I think a series of flammed descending chromatic augmented 7ths did the trick on that arcade death sound I ripped off Mr. Green
revivalstudios
Tomy Blip

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

I too like this system very much, i'm currently having a micro-arcade cabinet made for it Wink

I programmed 2 games for it so far: Cavity and Colorclash .

Colorclash (2010)

Cavity (2010)

They are available for download on my website ( http://www.revival-studios.com ) , along with an emulated ready-to-run Executable for those that don't own the system.

I have more games in development that i will add to the website in the future.
bomberpunk
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2010 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

revivalstudios wrote:
I too like this system very much, i'm currently having a micro-arcade cabinet made for it Wink

interesting. i'm doing the exact same thing myself and i'm almost done.
bomberpunk
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...double post...

two months ago, i didn't know the difference between a resistor and a transistor. actually, i still don't.

but a lot of blood, sweat and tears (read: time, more time, and money) went into building the second most awesome thing in my house (the first is my Adventure Vision that Rik fixed which was given to me by my wonderful fiance).

so yeah, a hombrew tabletop. crank up your speakers.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiiA_OVhYjs

edit: apparently the video is blocked from being viewed in Germany.

edit 2: the console has also been featured, as of the morning of Nov 24th, on this site:
http://www.evilmadscientist.com/go/meggycade

edit 3: and here too:
http://hackaday.com/2010/11/24.....t-enough/]

Last edited by bomberpunk on Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:27 am; edited 1 time in total
steveOR
Mattel Football

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bomberpunk saw your tabletop today - this is awesome! i totally want to build one too, if you ever compile a parts list, templates, instructions or anything let us know.
revival... r u making one too? would love to see Shocked
bomberpunk
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks! the fun part was that i had no idea what i was doing. i did start writing out a guide on how to build the cabinet but who knows if i'll ever finish it. parts list, i can at least do that.

since i have half the wood (that i initially bought for this project) left over, i'm probably going to press on with something else that is even more 'Handheld Museum related'. it will have to wait until 2011 though. i need to spend money on presents yet!

i hope you didn't mind me using SMK in my video. but come on, honestly, it's the best game released thus far. i just had to.
steveOR
Mattel Football

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bomberpunk wrote:
i hope you didn't mind me using SMK in my video. but come on, honestly, it's the best game released thus far. i just had to.

Of course its cool man so glad you did and also that you shot it a bird when you died haha! Thanks for the kind words. I have a couple changes to the game code that I've been meaning to upload as well.
bomberpunk
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.bomberpunk.com/meggycade/
the meggycade webpage. it's nearly complete, but i haven't worked on the page in months so i just threw it online. however, it does include a complete parts list, and some "behind the scenes" step-by-step chatter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Inventor's forum All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: