The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Just joined

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GameHoarder
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 1:18 am    Post subject: Just joined Reply with quote

Hello all that read this, I found this site while looking for information on the Chinese Game Theory Admiral handheld and noticed that there was a forum that was active and that the forum is more on collecting then playing games. I have been collecting "vintage" video game type items for many years and with eBay it really took off. I have put together a very large collection in the 7+ years that I have been buying off eBay. I find eBay has it's good points and bad ones. Just have to try and keep your eyes open and read up in the answer center to try and keep on top of possible eBay problems.

I live my "childhood dreams" in the private salvage yard out in the sticks that I put together in my "spare time" years back when I wasn't working jobs that paid well so that I could retire at a early age and play in my yard and do my "deep thinking". The salvage part was a hobby mostly as I have never sold scrap or auto parts as that was not what interested me. I use the vehicles as tax free storage as I have them all filled with you name it, that I bought at auctions or received from salvage type jobs where I hauled many interesting items home over the years. I have had my place for almost 30 years now. I don't do many salvage jobs these days unless it's for a friend or it's a small job that I can turn out well on. I have found that people I know will bring me what they or others they know want rid of so I just have to help unload it, rummage sale and auction type items that people end up with. I figure as long as I have the room I can find a place to store it untill later.

No there are not many "collectable vehicles" here, most are just old worn out vehicles that I received for free, traded for or bought at scrap price and there are many that I used myself in the past years and then parked when they were not worth fixing anymore. I did let friends get a few parts when I had something they needed, but these days they drive newer vehicles. I used to be able to have plenty of parts to keep the vehicles I was driving at the time going but in the last few years I drive vehicles that are far newer then any parts vehicles I have in the yard. Most of the vehicles in the yard are 70's and 80's "vintage" and the vehicle I drive now is a 95 that I bought for a bargain. That's a whole story in its self.

I collect mostly the older game items but I do have a few more modern items such as a very nice Sony Dream Cast with all the connection cables three controlers and some other doo dads that came with it. It even had a PacMan game in it so I could test it as I have no other games for it. I picked it up at a Goodwill thrift store for $7.50+tax Very Happy I also have a PS one mini with some games that A friend picked up for me. Then there is the Nintendo GameCube that I bought with the GameBoy player so that I could play Game Boy Advance games on the BIG screen. I have a few games, other items and controlers for some of the "newer" systems that I find for sale so cheap that I figure I can always turn out on them later.
I find that the "newer" game systems are to busy for my eyes. I prefer the old arcade games when I feel like playing something. Doctor Mario is my favorite game of all.

So I have a few of the Atari Touch Me handhelds with one in the box with instructions. I read that it is considered the first electric handheld game. I also have a nice collection of Microvision systems and games. I read that it is considered the first handheld with interchangable games. The list goes on and on from there as far as handhelds. As for console systems, I have most of the popular made systems as well as a few odd balls like the RCA Studio II and the so called clones. I do enjoy some of the "clone" items as they can be interesting to look at even though they are not worth much for playing games on. The Game Theory Admiral would be one of those so called clones.
I have one but it didn't come with the special yellow adaptor that is required to use it. From what I have read on them, it sounds like it would be a interesting system to try a few Famicom games on. I have other Famicom clone handhelds like the Game Axe and a few others that I can't remember the names of that I have tried out so I have a pretty good idea of what the Game Theory Admiral would be like. NES and Famicom games made for the BIG screen don't play well on a small screen Shocked

I enjoy collecting the Japanese game items as I like the colorful artwork and find the Japanese writing interesting. I would say that the Nintendo Game Boy items are my favorite as I spend more on them to get what I like. The most I have paid for a single handheld, system or game has also been Nintendo related as I like the multi game pirate carts when I can find them at a fair price. I have a nice Sega Pico collection with most of it being Japanese items. I even have some French Pico games that I bought out of Canada. I have many smaller collections within my collection. WonderSwan, Neo Geo handhelds, Sega Game Gear and also the game type items such as Coleco Quiz Wiz and other such items.

I also started collecting the childrens learning toys a few years back and items such as Juice Box, Video Now, etc. Virtual pets, Tomy Pocket games and other such game items when it was getting harder to find the game items that I had been collecting.

I have a nice Pokemon collection with Pokedex handhelds and other assorted Pokemon items when I can find them at a bargain or if they catch my eye I will pay a bit more for them. I don't have many Pokemon cards as they seem to sell well most times, but I have ended up with some over the last few years.

If it is a interactive game of some sort, uses batteries, has lights or sounds, interchangable media such as cards, cartridges, clips, ect. I collect it when I can get it at a fair price or if it catches my eye I will pay a bit more just to see it in my hands or add it to my collection.

Most of what I buy is bought at a bargain as that is what I like to look for. I view my collection/hoard as a interesting investment for my older old age like 15 years or so down the road when the economy should come back around and my collection will be easy to sell for a NICE price. I have plenty of scrap metal and other "stuff" that I can sell on down the road when the time is right. I'm 100% debt free and have everything paid for and live a simple but interesting life so I'm in no great rush to sell things as long as I have enough to live in a modern primitive type comfort, a bit like the Beverly Hillbillies with video games,lol

I view my collection in much the same way that a collector of postage stamps or coins might. I don't collect to play anymore then stamp collectors use their stamps for postage or coin collectors spend their change. I get plenty of play in testing all the games and toys I buy or get in trade. I also find a few interesting items as I look through boxes of stuff that I hauled home years ago from salvage jobs or bought at sales and such and never looked through or forgot about.

Well that is a bit about me and my collection. It may seem like a long post but it is still just the printing on the dust cover of one of the books of my Life.
Linda
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2010 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GameHoarder, welcome to forum.

Linda
blue6demon
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that's one hell of a lifestyle you've got there Cool Welcome to our community, hope you enjoy !

Good day hey from the great white north !

Pat
GameHoarder
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thank you for the welcomes.

I have been spending a little time reading over some of the threads/posts/blogs (not sure what you call them) in this forum and I have found some great reading.

I found the "thread" for printing replacement stickers for the table top games of interest as that is something that I can use one day when I get around to fixing up the many of those games I have that need repair and sticker replacement.

Over the years I have ended up with many interesting electric and electronic items and as I have always enjoyed collecting/hoarding things that are of that nature, I have ended up with many items of the game type that are in need of repair or have missing parts, etc.

I view most everything as parts that are put together to make the whole of something. I have always been viewed as a bit odd as I follow the path that moves at a much slower rate. I set the speed of the pace most of the time and I get by when the crowd is in a rush as I stay close to the off ramp. (thats a form of odd poetry)

But at any rate, I find that collecting game related items is a very interesting hobby when it is done on a more serious yet relaxed level. I do enjoy putting the collections within my collection together. I have variety in the way that I collect that can be played within the mind and thinking like music of the moods.

In other words, I don't get bored.
GameHoarder
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't posted anything around here in awhile, but I do read what others post as well as read some of the older stuff when it seems like something interesting to do.

But anyway, Back in Feb of this year I started collecting obsolete badges like Pinkerton, Burns, Wackenhut and others including some police and fire dept badges, childrens badges, movie prop badges and other related military type and such pins and badges.

I had many reasons for starting another new collection. One was that the game items that interested me were getting hard to find and what I would find would most times be out of my budget or over priced to start with. And then there is the shipping and handling costs that keep going up. It makes it tough to buy items that would cost more to ship because of size or weight. So I thought about what was small and of wide collector interest with good possible investment value that I would enjoy collecting.

I started looking at the old badges on eBay and found that there were many for sale and that some could be bought for about $5.00 each that sold for more most times. I paid $4.25 total for the first badge I bought. After awhile I learned what was what and started to bid a bit more on certain badges and sometimes I would win them at a nice price. I have bought many badges for a couple dollars or so when I would win auctions that had a few in a lot or I would win a few auctions from sellers that had very reasonable combined S&H.

The most I have paid for a single badge is $21.00, and that was a old New York City detective agency badge from around the 1940's. I have ended up with many interesting badges that are 50-70 years old.

I quit keeping track of how many badges I have collected so far and it's about 200 nice "real" ones and around another 200 or so that are childrens badges and such, old badge blanks (ones that were never finished or they have mistakes) and demilled badges (ones that have been cut or damaged when they were sold for scrap.

I'm still collecting a game item here and there when I find something that interests me.

Just thought I would make my 6th. post in the Hand Held Museum forum as it's been awhile since I wrote anything here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: