The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Ebay url fun

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Forum issues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Ebay url fun Reply with quote

This would really rock: If ebay urls could automatically be converted to each user's country's ebay. It's mildly annoying when a link in a post sends me to a foreign ebay and I have to tweak the url to be able to read everything, see things in US$, add to watch without logging in again, etc. Not that that's difficult, it would just be cool if the bb could do the work for me!

I looked on the phpBB site, but didn't see anything obvious...
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have to do that too... Very Happy Although, I think if you just log in using your Ebay idea in any country, you can add things to your Watched Items list... I think that would work normally (but I'm not certain, never tried it...).

Someone could probably code up something to convert all Ebay links to a certain one (like make them all ebay.com or something), but I'm not sure about a real-time conversion to whatever country the reader is from...

It would be neat though. Mr. Green
Dan
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know phpBB has a censor feature (mod?)... Maybe you could "censor" cgi.ebay.*/ to cgi.ebay.com/ ?

That would do it for me, but I'm in the US! I was trying to think of everyone everywhere else. Cool

I'm certain it would be doable, though. If not by country, you could add a profile information field where the user could designate which ebay they "live" on... And default it to ebay.com if they don't choose different...

If I ever have a spare month or two to learn PHP and how to mod the bb, I'm there!
Or, you could always ask on the phpBB bb desired mods board, it's probably pretty trivial to someone who already has the background!
nicknicknickandnick
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's interesting, though for me I prefer the main US ebay.com to my country's ebay.ca.

I use an ad-blocking program that has many other features, including the ability to find any specified text of a page's html and substitute it with text of your choice, so such link changes could be accomplished that way if I was inclined. (It's Ad Muncher if you're curious. After the trial period, it costs $25 with free upgrading for any future version.) http://www.admuncher.com/
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Forum issues All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: