The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Making minor changes...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Museum website
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Making minor changes... Reply with quote

I've been making some minor updates (at least, minor to the user) on the main website. All of the Acclaim and Actronics pages have been updated a little. I still might have games to add or pictures to update, but I've been re-doing the code a little with CSS (teaching myself that), and have discovered the joys of server-side includes. Cool

(Technical stuff, don't worry if you have no idea what I just said...)

But poke around the pages of those two manufacturers, and let me know if anything doesn't look right (I'm using Firefox on a PC, so anyone using Macs, Linux/Unix, Android devices, etc let me know if something is weird), or if you just don't like the look of something. I'm eventually going to format every page on the site like those the Acclaim/Actronics pages. (Color, font, centering, one or two large photos with everything else being the smaller thumbnails across the top.) You may not actually notice that anything is different unless you look around the site a lot, but if anything is obviously wrong, let me know (like text going behind pictures, pictures not showing up, everything is unreadable... Stuff like that).

Starting the second week of April I'll be going through all my games. Full inventory, photographing everything, scanning manuals, maybe even some more disassembly pages for people that like to take them apart and tinker/repair them.
physics223
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to see an update on your other Palmtex Super Micro games. Smile

Thanks for everything, Rik!
slydc
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep up the great work Rik! Very Happy Yessss!

There are many websites about handheld games but yours is the top notch! Wink

Can't wait to see new updates, new additions, new manuals scans, etc... Smile

--- Sly DC ---
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great news Rik Smile. It's reassuring to know that the Museum is going to be given a bit of a polish. I was a bit worried that you had lost some of your interest in the games, but I should have known better Wink .

I can't talk though. I've been out of the 'gaming loop' for a couple of years now but in the last few weeks, I've been giving my games room a much needed tidy and sort out. I'm going to sell all my doubles to give me some much needed room. In the last week I've even bought my first games in years and one was a NIB Entex too Smile .

I've found several games and instructions that aren't in the museum and spotted few errors in the Museum too. I will try to send you some pics and info over the coming weeks. I apologise if I've sent you the same things in the past as I just can't remember what I've sent you as it was so long ago!

The museum couldn't be in better hands and It's exciting to see what additions you are going to make Smile.

All the best,

Neil.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just brought home the first car load of boxes today... It's starting. Cool

It'll take a few trips (actually, probably a lot of trips) to get everything here, but it'll happen!

Also, I've been revamping the site a little with some suggested ideas and trying to catch spelling errors... Rolling Eyes So far I've done Acclaim, Actronics, Atari and Bambino (and I'm diving into Bandai... That one always scares me, so many games! Cool )

Trying to make every page look exactly the same (been mixing up fonts and layouts a little over the years). I'm also adding red arrows to the top of the individual game pages so you can just navigate through the games clicking on the arrows instead of going back to the manufacturer page every time... Also, when looking at a game, you can click on the manufacturer's name at the top to be taken back to the main page. You can't tell it's a clickable link, but it works. Smile

Once I get that done, I'll go back through my Emails of things people have sent me that were corrections to existing pages, or supplying more/better pictures, stuff like that (even my own pictures for that matter). I might add new games as well, but I think I want to focus on fixing up everything that's currently here first.

For some of the larger categories, I may add an 'LCD, VFD or LED' button so you can view just the games with those types of displays. And also an easier way to view every game in a certain series of games...

If you see a page with the red arrows, and there's still a spelling error or something stupid on it, let me know! I'm trying to catch as many of those as I can (or if there's links on it that quit working...)
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love those red arrows! Nice one Rik. They speed up going from game to game immensely Smile. Using them, I will see games I've never clicked on before Yessss!

Some of the pages with red arrows also have a black tick on them. Does this signify anything or is it just something that helps you sort out what's done and will be removed later?

Neil.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil UK wrote:
Some of the pages with red arrows also have a black tick on them. Does this signify anything or is it just something that helps you sort out what's done and will be removed later?

Neil.

That's my new 'secret' indicator of a game I actually have in my collection... Cool You'll noticed the 'Do I have this' line is gone from all the new pages... People kept assuming that if I didn't have it be willing to buy theirs, and if I did have it, it was forsale... I like the idea of the website indicating what I actually have (even tho it's out of date right now), I just figured I'd make it a little less obvious.

You will generally find better pictures on those pages too, since I have the game... (Or you will definitely see better pics on those pages once I start going through everything...)
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right! Clever Wink . Talking of buying games, as your filling your car several times with them soon it seems like a good time to ask you. As I'm selling off all my doubles in the not too distant future are you still interested in my boxed APF Mathamagician? A couple of years ago you said to let you know when I was selling it. The Museum says you still havent got it but that could well be out of date by now.

If you are interested I'd happily send you any photos you want of it and I'd be keen on a swap for a loose game or games that you consider to be of equal value to it. I'm guessing you have several doubles I'd be keen to add to my collection Smile

Thanks,

Neil.
Jamtex
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The museum is wonderful although searching for anything is a waste of time as a lot of hits are returned in the archived whats new posts... Adding LCD, LED, VFD, Mechanical would be great. Although maybe extend this to things like Watch, Calculator, Double Panel, Solar Power, etc and if the game has extras like Radio, etc.

The site would be better as a locked Wiki page as searching would be easier.

With the Bandai (and others) page, I notice that a number of Japanese games either have the wrong title or have none at all. Do you want translations of these? Also would it be better to have things like Akuryo no Yakata and Terror House on the same page as they are the same game but with different names, there are a few games like this and it would cut the Bandai page down a little bit.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamtex wrote:
The museum is wonderful although searching for anything is a waste of time as a lot of hits are returned in the archived whats new posts...

Well, the search was basically just put there so someone could look up the title of a game and find it's manufacturer... Like, you know you had a game called 'Terror House' but had no idea who made it... So, you search 'Terror House' and you get a result from the Bandai page and the archived update page... That tells you Bandai made it...

I can probably tell the search routine to ignore the update pages though. What do you search for specifically that doesn't work well?

Jamtex wrote:
Adding LCD, LED, VFD, Mechanical would be great. Although maybe extend this to things like Watch, Calculator, Double Panel, Solar Power, etc and if the game has extras like Radio, etc.

I try to put tags like 'Radio' or 'Watch' after the name of each game, so you can search for those things in the manufacturer page. Double Panel would be a 'series' that is also indicated after the name, and once you are viewing one you can see all the others (hopefully) listed there. I could make the tags after the name of the game clickable to bring up a page of all of the games in that series (with with that characteristic)...

The companies that have a lot of games (like Bandai) might get special treatment with regards to this kind of thing. It's not necessary of they've only made 10 or 15 games, but I can do a lot with the Bandai page. Smile

The site would be better as a locked Wiki page as searching would be easier.

Jamtex wrote:
With the Bandai (and others) page, I notice that a number of Japanese games either have the wrong title or have none at all. Do you want translations of these? Also would it be better to have things like Akuryo no Yakata and Terror House on the same page as they are the same game but with different names, there are a few games like this and it would cut the Bandai page down a little bit.

I don't speak Japanese, so I can only translate 'as best I can' (which usually means Babelfish). Some games have English titles on them, so I use that. If you can translate them, and want to do that, please do. Start a thread in the 'Missing Games' forum with anything you want to translate. Romaji and a literal English translation would be nice...

As for separating games with the same names, I actually just did that with Terror House and a few others. But I do have to have both titles listed (if you have Terror House, you'd never know to look for Akuryo no Yakata, and vice-versa), and they used to be combined on the same page with all the same pictures. A problem arose with adding the arrows for navigation... Hitting the right arrow-from Akuryo should go to Algas. Hitting the right-arrow from Terror House should go to the Thunderbirds game. To make the arrow navigation work, every unique title for a game has to be on it's own page... And some people consider them different games for their collection anyway (if the title is different, it's a different game to check off the list...). This won't affect to many manufacturers, and I'm still not sure it's the best solution, but I can't really think of anything negative about it... Each version links to other version so you can see it. I could leave the pictures on every page (so when you are looking at Terror House, you can see the Akuryo version right there... Link Frankenstein/Mr. Franken, I haven't separated those yet, but the two different names are still on the main Bandai page.)

I try to think of the layout in terms of someone visiting the site that has a specific game and wants to look it up. To them, 'Terror House' is just 'Terror House'. The fact that there's a Japanese titled version is likely just an interesting side note for most people.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Museum website All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: