The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Casio GM-301 Game watch

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vcoleiro1
Tiger Jawbreaker

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:17 am    Post subject: Casio GM-301 Game watch Reply with quote

Dont know much about game watches , but I noticed this one the other day and was going to bid but didn't.

Did this Casio gm-301 go for a fair price?

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBay.....500wt_1033
Jamtex
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it did come with two other watches, including a 70s Bulova watch which can be worth a bit.

Although anyone who can't be arsed spending the $10 or so to test the watches by buying batteries should probably be avoided...
Jethro
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or is another way to tell: "Do not Work".
Jamtex
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is true, although if it is cheap enough then it is worth picking up. I have bought games cheap which were untested (ie did not work) and scraping off rust / corrusion got me working games...

Although paying over $20 for something that is untested on ebay is asking for trouble.
GameWatchGuy
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited by GameWatchGuy on Sat May 26, 2012 5:05 am; edited 1 time in total
GameWatchGuy
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jamtex wrote:

Although paying over $20 for something that is untested on ebay is asking for trouble.

Hi.
Sometimes the only way to get something so rare is to take a risk. The $20 you mention might be a big amount for you, but a small amount for others. It's hard to give an exact amount because everyone is different and every auction is different.

I believe the auction went for a very fair price. I was also watching. On many occasions I have gambled with well over a hundred bucks on a small chance and won, after that tripling my money.

Things that did hinder me from going for it.
-Overseas (AU)
-Seller has low feedback score
-No batteries, untested
-Auction ended at 3AM in the morn and I like my sleep.
-Already blew enough money for the week!

The gamble on this was probably well worth it. The 301 most likely functions. Those watches are nicely sealed and the original battery used does not corrode easily unlike some of the cheapo watches.

For example a Tiger Game watch sealed in package never opened will have a corroded battery and the watch may be damaged beyond repair. These Casio's are of high quality and the original batteries do not corrode fast.

The winner of this lot can expect to power up the watches and sell for a great price, most likely at very least doubling his/her money. Pending the new seller takes better photos and has a great feedback score it should be easy money in the bank!

~John
Jamtex
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the GM-301 really that rare? I paid $125 (shipped) for a fully working one 18 months ago, as it was my first watch I ever got and even I got it from a watch seller rather then Ebay. $20 is not a huge amount for me, but even so I rather spend money on something that works rather then half the amount on something that might work. A$250 is rather a lot for three untested watches...

With Ebay there is a high possibility that an untested item sold for spares, is faulty.

Although the battery in a watch from casio might have been the highest quality when bought new, there is no gaurantee that since then someone has not replaced it with a cheaper battery.
vcoleiro1
Tiger Jawbreaker

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well there you go, I thought I was the only one from here looking at it.

I was looking at it for the exact opposite reasons, the guy selling the watches lived about 5 minutes drive from me. The auction finished 5:17pm local time here in Aus. I was planning to pick up the lot had I bid and won it.

The problem for me was I know nothing about collecting watches, I did see the last one was rare though as is the Casio.

Don't you hate it when you come across things for good prices when your knowledge about them is not good enough . Only to find out later what they are and what they are worth.
GameWatchGuy
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vcoleiro1 wrote:

Don't you hate it when you come across things for good prices when your knowledge about them is not good enough . Only to find out later what they are and what they are worth.

Yea. And you could of went right back to him if it didn't work? Naw, just kidding... It's sold as a gamble, so on the plus side you would get it cheaper than it all were working in the picture. The seller stated they may or may not work so it's really up to you and how much you would want to throw on the roulette wheel. This type of auction is surely not for everyone.

Jamtex wrote:
Is the GM-301 really that rare? I paid $125 (shipped) for a fully working one 18 months ago, as it was my first watch I ever got and even I got it from a watch seller rather then Ebay. $20 is not a huge amount for me, but even so I rather spend money on something that works rather then half the amount on something that might work. A$250 is rather a lot for three untested watches...

With Ebay there is a high possibility that an untested item sold for spares, is faulty.

Although the battery in a watch from casio might have been the highest quality when bought new, there is no gaurantee that since then someone has not replaced it with a cheaper battery.

From experience the Casio's usually work. Even a not working one in good shape will sell for good money on ebay. A watch reseller will sell an item for less than it would go on ebay I would suppose. I think you got a GREAT deal at $125. If you posted on ebay I think you would double your money VERY fast. I bet the auction would sell within the first few hours! This is partly because ebay will drag out people worldwide that are specifically looking for that item and they will fight over it.
Yea. The battery may have been replaced but it is a 3V battery and for that type a brand name is usually chosen and then battery would only need be replaced years down the road from the original purchase date. I'd have to bet on a win-win for this deal.

Jamtex wrote:
A$250 is rather a lot for three untested watches...

That's the gamble part. As an example I bought a lot of total utter crap a few weeks ago. It had one jewel buried in it. A Casio GM-20. It was sitting there and not working and even the condition was hard to see. I took the gamble and won the lot of mostly garbage at over $150. When it arrive the Casio fired up perfectly. I would appraise it at at least double and from experience I know it would sell very fast! I am keeping it but the money is in the bank so to speak. AS for the rest of the crap, sell it in a Buy It Now auction at $15 with free shipping.

Those who are willing to take the risk have a good chance at getting an item that, well, not many people have. An item of envy for many! The GM-301 IS a hot item!
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another problem with watches is that a lot of people don't have the expertise to open them (and if they try, they usually mess up the case...)

If it's just 4 tiny screws, then it's pretty easy (if you have the little screwdriver), but other snap off in a certain way, or I've even seen some that the entire back unscrews. People try to pry these open with screw drivers and ruin them that way...

If they don't have experience opening watches, I'd almost prefer they just sell them as-is and let me deal with it (or they pay a little extra and take it to a jeweler to have it done properly, but most of the time people just aren't that motivated.)

But any watch that's listed as 'untested' can be assumed to have the original batter still in it. But even still, they are almost always repairable...

Rik
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: