The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
AdventureVision repro game carts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarbleMad
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: AdventureVision repro game carts Reply with quote

I've been playing around with 3d printing and managed to re-design that odd obsolete molex connector the adventure vision uses to plug in its eprom game carts.
Just wondering if there'd be any interest if I made a few more.

Could do them in a number of ways.

A basic adaptor that you could attach a programmed eprom to yourself.

A complete programmed cart with the eprom programmed, fitted and tested and a reroduction cover on top so it looks more or less like an original cart (not identical though. I redesigned the connector to strengthen and simplify it for printing).

or

Could take the basic connector and attach a ZIF socket to it so you could just plug the thing into your adventurevision permanently and swap the eproms in and out of the ZIF socket.

Any thoughts?

Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, make a cartridge with a ZIF socket that configured to take 2732 chips instead of 2532s... 25 are harder to find, and surprisingly difficult to find an inexpensive EPROM burner that will handle them directly... Smile

I made molds of the original cartridge shell and the molex connector... I've been able to make functional replicas that way, but I didn't do the best job on the molds, so I need to re-make them. Whenever I put my AV on display for people to play with, I use these cartridges... Not really a big deal if someone steals them. Cool (But hasn't happened yet...)
MarbleMad
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if we go as far as changing the eprom we may as well do a multicart. There are only 4 or 5 games, right? Anyone ever attempted homebrew adventurevision?
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarbleMad wrote:
if we go as far as changing the eprom we may as well do a multicart. There are only 4 or 5 games, right? Anyone ever attempted homebrew adventurevision?

Hehe... WAY ahead of you. Cool A switched multi is pretty easy, just trying to figure out a good way to stuff it in the same-size cartridge shell... I was hoping to mold new shells in black resin and install two switches on the top to switch between the 4 games. Trying to make the cartridge look as much like the originals as I can. Maybe even put the switches on the side and create an authentic-looking label for it... I have all these grand ideas!

Only 4 games exist... Some text in them can be easily modified for fun, but I haven't heard of anyone actually trying to write a new game for it.

Shouldn't be hard though, for those with programming skills... They can do it for practically every other system out there. Rolling Eyes
MarbleMad
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will be tricky to put that on a pcb and fit it in a cart. As a one off free form electronics project you could probably stuff it all in there but wouldn't fancy making a bunch of 'em.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2012 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I wouldn't bother with a board... Not really needed, just solder some leads to the chip... I did that with the Vectrex years ago. I had produced one of the first multi-carts for that system and made about 20 of them I think... Did it all by hand. Then came the cool menu-driven ones (mine had switches on them), so I quit doing it. It was fun though. Cool

I can't imagine there'd be a huge demand for an AV multicart, but I could probably make a dozen of them or something...

Rik
bomberpunk
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd buy one from you, Rik. that way i can keep it plugged in and keep all four of my carts in the display holes up top. would all 4 games actually fit? would they need dipswitches? it'd be cool if a menu could be created.... one could dream, right? ha!
slydc
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone here would be interested in a new game "Pac-Man" (er...not quite a new game, it's a hack of Turtles with Pac-Man and Ghosts sprites) that
i did in 2008 when i had an Adventurevision.

I never released this hack until recently. So just go to my web site:

http://www.ccjvq.com/slydc/

And click on "Downloads" in the left menu, after go way down until you
reach "Various Stuffs".

So enjoy the first hack for the Adventurevision! Smile

P.S.: There is also may others projects i did in the past decade, check them
out. Wink

--- Sly DC ---
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: