The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What's it worth?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GameHoarder
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: What's it worth? Reply with quote

The most I have paid for a handheld game is a little over $150.00 and that was a mint condition boxed Japanese Game Boy Light Pokemon Pikachu limited edition. I know that other collectors of handheld games pay far more for items in the Nintendo Game & Watch series as well as other older handhelds.

Now to the point of this post.

I was looking around on eBay for items to add to my obsolete badge collection and looked at a new sellers other items and found a Hot Wheels car that had a bid on the starting price of $177.77 + $3.00 S&H. almost a week left. 260974319810 U.S. eBay

I then went and looked to see if there were others for sale and also to see the completed listings to see if there were more of these cars selling for over a hundred each. Yes there are more and they are selling in the hundreds each.

I know that the Hot Wheels cars are not a game related item, but I thought that others might find what I found interesting in that people are paying hundreds of dollars for some of these Hot Wheels Limited Edition cars from the 90's on.

The more interesting part is that there are sellers making copies of the packaging that hold them as well as custom painting COPIES of the cars that sell for the BIG money and they are getting over $50.00 for the copies in package and around $10.00 for copy of the packaging for them.

A bit like the copies of boxes and such being sold for the Nintendo Game & Watch series that some people will try and sell as originals.

Put this into the search if you are interested in seeing what I'm talking about.

hot wheels '67 camaro treasure hunt

There are others cars in this series that are selling for the BIG bucks also.

I wonder how many of the COPIES are being sold as ORIGINALS by crooks and clueless people?

Thought that a few others might find it interesting as I did.

No, I don't "collect" die cast cars even though I have ended up with many thousands of them over the many years that I salvaged and hoarded what I hauled home for free or a few dollars a box full. Doubt that I have any of the cars in this series as most of the die cast cars I have are from before 1995. But there must be a few in the many thousands of die cast cars I have that are worth a few BIG dollars to a collector of die cast cars.

Will find out some day when I get to it. I'm in no rush to sell things as I'm busy sorting through what I have and buying more toys that I like Laughing
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: What's it worth? Reply with quote

GameHoarder wrote:
The most I have paid for a handheld game is a little over $150.00 and that was a mint condition boxed Japanese Game Boy Light Pokemon Pikachu limited edition. I know that other collectors of handheld games pay far more for items in the Nintendo Game & Watch series as well as other older handhelds.

Many times that for some really rare games... There's a few that will sell for over $1500. And a couple that have never been seen would probably fetch over $2000 if they ever show up...

GameHoarder wrote:
Put this into the search if you are interested in seeing what I'm talking about.

hot wheels '67 camaro treasure hunt

Wow.... Forgot about the early Treasure Hunt cars... Man, I remember going to 24-hour Wal-marts at 3am and ripping open cases of HW still on pallets for to get those damn things... Cool Still have them too (might even have that Camaro)... Time for some storage spelunking I think...

GameHoarder wrote:
I wonder how many of the COPIES are being sold as ORIGINALS by crooks and clueless people?

That's a problem with action figures too, especially the original Star Wars. People can make the backing card and the plastic bubble so real looking, it's nearly impossible to tell if it's fake or not. It's harder to get the seal on the plastic bubble to the card to be 100% perfect, but they are getting better and people don't usually look too closely unless they suspect something to begin with. Usually the figure is real, but being sealed on a card can mean the difference of a $100 figure and a $1500 figure... It's funny when people make fake ones though, like Uncle Owen & Aunt Beru post Stormtropper attack (and in the package is just a bunch of charred pieces of action figures). Or 'The Force', and it's just an empty package... Mr. Green

But the out-right fakes exist too... Sometimes sold as 'replicas', other times they try (and I assume frequently succeed) in passing them as original...

Probably harder to make a full-size box for a large-sized game (and I didn't even know there were replicas of the G&W boxes out there)... But nothing is impossible. And if it's suddenly worth a lot of money, you can bet someone will try to make fake ones. That happens in ANY market where the money is big enough.
GameHoarder
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took a peek at eBay to see if I could find any of those Game & Watch copy boxes and didn't find any for sale at this time. It was a couple years back or so when I was looking through the Game & Watch items that I saw the copy boxes for sale from a seller in Europe. They were being sold as quality copies that were sold flat and diecut already so you just had to fold them and glue them up. There was also copies of the stickers for holding the battery covers on, "quality copies" of instructions as well as the foam inserts. But not all from the same seller. Just one seller was selling the copies of the boxes.

I have learned from collecting the obsolete badges over the last year that the market is flooded with copies and fakes of originals that sell for the big money. There are even sellers that are "making up" security guard/officer badges for popular "name brand companies", Like Coca~Cola, Ford, Chevrolet, known railroad companies and what ever they can find the parts to put together. Most times they will just take a enamel pin with a popular company, break the prong off of it and glue it in the center of a older security guard/officer badge. Some will take old badge blanks that were never finished or sold for scrap and stamp whatever is popular on them. The list goes on. There is a company here in the U.S. that is making copies of Walt Disney Security badges that are sold as copies for about $30.00 and then the crooks try and sell them as originals that can sell for hundreds of dollars each. A badge company in Germany makes many different copies of popular obsolete badges that are sold as originals on eBay all the time.

I have found that there are a few badge collectors/sellers on eBay that are selling outright fakes along with the REAL badges they have for sale. If I can tell by looking at a auction picture and from my research that it's a fake, these sellers should know. Funny and spooky part of it is that most of these collectors/sellers are current or former police officers and such Shocked
vcoleiro1
Tiger Jawbreaker

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GameHoarder wrote:
I took a peek at eBay to see if I could find any of those Game & Watch copy boxes and didn't find any for sale at this time. It was a couple years back or so when I was looking through the Game & Watch items that I saw the copy boxes for sale from a seller in Europe. They were being sold as quality copies that were sold flat and diecut already so you just had to fold them and glue them up. There was also copies of the stickers for holding the battery covers on, "quality copies" of instructions as well as the foam inserts. But not all from the same seller. Just one seller was selling the copies of the boxes.

I have learned from collecting the obsolete badges over the last year that the market is flooded with copies and fakes of originals that sell for the big money. There are even sellers that are "making up" security guard/officer badges for popular "name brand companies", Like Coca~Cola, Ford, Chevrolet, known railroad companies and what ever they can find the parts to put together. Most times they will just take a enamel pin with a popular company, break the prong off of it and glue it in the center of a older security guard/officer badge. Some will take old badge blanks that were never finished or sold for scrap and stamp whatever is popular on them. The list goes on. There is a company here in the U.S. that is making copies of Walt Disney Security badges that are sold as copies for about $30.00 and then the crooks try and sell them as originals that can sell for hundreds of dollars each. A badge company in Germany makes many different copies of popular obsolete badges that are sold as originals on eBay all the time.

I have found that there are a few badge collectors/sellers on eBay that are selling outright fakes along with the REAL badges they have for sale. If I can tell by looking at a auction picture and from my research that it's a fake, these sellers should know. Funny and spooky part of it is that most of these collectors/sellers are current or former police officers and such Shocked

What, Security badges worth money. Makes me wish I didn't scribble junk on the front of my Ford Security badges. It was common practice amongst my colleagues to outdo each other with crazy Role titles that we would scribble on our security badges and see if the security guard would say anything. Titles such as "Master of the Universe", Osama Bin Laden and so forth. The guard never once said anything.
I hope I still have some that are not written on, will need to check.

As for fake boxes, I have seen several listing for handheld games were the guy has offered a loose game and said that he can provide a repro box if wanted.

What I find disturbing is the fact that some defunct handhelds like the Gizmondo, which everyone thinks is rare, are still being made by the original manufacturer. People are starting to pay some dollars for these things that supposedly have been out of sale since 2006. I know the original chinese manufacturer still makes them on demand.

Also, There are some electronic games that routinely pop on ebay with a whole stack of NOS suddenly , this really makes me suspicious. Especially when it seems to happen most often with one brand in particular - Casio. I started of with a mindset of collecting just Casio Handhelds from the 80's. I gave up pretty soon as every second Casio I wanted to get seemed to popup on ebay with a stack of NOS. Ive gone right off Casio handhelds now. It makes me so suspicious that there could be tons of this Casio NOS for quite a lot of the 80's Casio hqandheld models. Even the BG-15 I have and prize popped up once with a whole stack of NOS.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vcoleiro1 wrote:
Also, There are some electronic games that routinely pop on ebay with a whole stack of NOS suddenly , this really makes me suspicious. Especially when it seems to happen most often with one brand in particular - Casio. I started of with a mindset of collecting just Casio Handhelds from the 80's. I gave up pretty soon as every second Casio I wanted to get seemed to popup on ebay with a stack of NOS. Ive gone right off Casio handhelds now. It makes me so suspicious that there could be tons of this Casio NOS for quite a lot of the 80's Casio hqandheld models. Even the BG-15 I have and prize popped up once with a whole stack of NOS.

Well, all it takes is one 'warehouse find' that was a distributor for Casio (or games/calculators in general), and they will likely find an unopened case of nearly everything...

I've heard rumors of someone that has a warehouse 'full of' cases of Entex and Coleco games (things like Select-a-Game, Adventure Vision, the Coleco Arcades), but he's 'resistant to sell it all at once' or something... No one's ever actually _seen_ it, so it could be just stories, but he has popped up with NOS Select-a-Game cartridges on a couple of occasions, so he does seem to have some stuff... (Supposedly it's all kinds of 80's era toys, not just handhelds, but you get the idea... Cool )

And something small like Casio watches/calcs would probably be packed 12-24 to a case. So one case find will release a lot of items...

I'm still amazed when stuff like this is just 'found' in warehouses after all these years... Sometimes _cases_ of it, just forgotten in some companies storage until they go under and sell off all their assets... Just seems crazy.
GameHoarder
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, collectors want those old Ford security badges. They will even sell with the scribbles as parts badges. The Ford breast badges bring double or more then the hat badges. If there is a certain plant name on them the price goes up even more.

As for NOS game stock. A few years back eBay was flooded with NOS Atari Lynx games. You could buy them by the case from some sellers. I found it odd that there were so many and I couldn't see someone making bootlegs of them as the games for sale were not rare. When I say cases of them I mean cases and cases. I couldn't believe that there were so many.

Another interesting NOS game item was the Aladdin Deck Enhancer for the Nintendo 8 bit system. There was a seller in Texas and a few sellers in Canada a few years back that had cases of them and were selling them on eBay. I was lucky and bought the Deck Enhancer cartridge that comes with one of the games and the other 6 games made for it all new in sealed boxes for a little over $22.00 including the S&H. I say lucky as I wanted to buy the whole set for less then $25.00 as the same set was selling for around $125.00 to $150.00 back then. I tried and tried until I won my set for less then $25.00. I tried on most of the Texas auctions until they were sold out. The S&H for the Canadian sellers was high and their starting prices were higher. They all sold in the end with some of the sets going over $100.00 or more at the time.

I spend many hours looking through the eBay pages as I'm retired and like to stay around my place most of the time these days. I don't watch TV, have cable, listen to radio or music or spend time doing the things that most others do for entertainment. I do like to watch or "listen" to old movies I have on tape or DVD when I'm on the computer. About the only thing I use my old obsolete computer for is looking at eBay, reading the pages in here, searching Google for information that is of interest to me and visiting with a few people I have met around the world. So I find and see many things on eBay that most others miss.
dr_bob

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GameHoarder wrote:
Yep, collectors want those old Ford security badges. They will even sell with the scribbles as parts badges. The Ford breast badges bring double or more then the hat badges. If there is a certain plant name on them the price goes up even more.

As for NOS game stock. A few years back eBay was flooded with NOS Atari Lynx games. You could buy them by the case from some sellers. I found it odd that there were so many and I couldn't see someone making bootlegs of them as the games for sale were not rare. When I say cases of them I mean cases and cases. I couldn't believe that there were so many.

Another interesting NOS game item was the Aladdin Deck Enhancer for the Nintendo 8 bit system. There was a seller in Texas and a few sellers in Canada a few years back that had cases of them and were selling them on eBay. I was lucky and bought the Deck Enhancer cartridge that comes with one of the games and the other 6 games made for it all new in sealed boxes for a little over $22.00 including the S&H. I say lucky as I wanted to buy the whole set for less then $25.00 as the same set was selling for around $125.00 to $150.00 back then. I tried and tried until I won my set for less then $25.00. I tried on most of the Texas auctions until they were sold out. The S&H for the Canadian sellers was high and their starting prices were higher. They all sold in the end with some of the sets going over $100.00 or more at the time.

I spend many hours looking through the eBay pages as I'm retired and like to stay around my place most of the time these days. I don't watch TV, have cable, listen to radio or music or spend time doing the things that most others do for entertainment. I do like to watch or "listen" to old movies I have on tape or DVD when I'm on the computer. About the only thing I use my old obsolete computer for is looking at eBay, reading the pages in here, searching Google for information that is of interest to me and visiting with a few people I have met around the world. So I find and see many things on eBay that most others miss.

I actually picked up one of those NOS lynx games on ebay for very little last year .It was Xybots, and yeah , I did open it as I'm a hands on and play collector! You cant beat opening the cellophane on a 20 year old game and sticking it in a console.

Actually a guy I know who deals in games a bit has about 10 of them unopened for sale!
For console collectors 'Repro' carts are a nightmare.Generally if you see a "rare" game game theres a high chance its a repro , especially if he's selling 2 or 3 or them!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: