The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Rarity / Collectors Guide - For Handheld Electronic Games
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vcoleiro1
Tiger Jawbreaker

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:40 pm    Post subject: Rarity / Collectors Guide - For Handheld Electronic Games Reply with quote

Ive got a suggestion I'd like peoples feedback on. I'd like to work as a community to develop a Rarity Guide for Handheld Electronic Games. Perhaps all games up until 1989 (we can discuss this). I know there is a little bit of info in the FAQ here , but IMHO, this hobby really, really needs a concise list of games (including foreign) and there rarity. I think it would be good for the hobby and if nothing else, give us all something to do and bring some life back into this forum.

Perhaps even a Collectors guide section would be good also. Basically if your new to collecting Handhelds , it would take you about 6 months collecting and reading posts on this forum to get an idea of what is collectable and what isn't. Everyone knows about the AV, however, unless you have done your research you wouldn't know about the Palmtex Super Micro , Epoch Fights of the Titan , Defender Strikes etc etc. These are the most collectable games in this hobby, but if your new to the hobby you wouldn't have a clue, and proably wouldn't for 6 months . A collectors guide section would be handy and IMHO - absolutely required for this hobby.

I hate to say it, but I get the feeling this hobby is dying. I have seen so many collectors sell up in the last year its crazy. This forum is all but deserted, with often days going by without even a post by anyone. Lets kick start this hobby again shall we, and get some enthusiasm back . Lets work together to create a Rarity and Collectors guide thus bringing life back into this forum. Then share the guide with others outside of this community so that others can learn and become involved and join in on this great hobby

As an idea of how it could be done - and I like to hear others ideas to -. Perhaps a group of us can each work on a list of a certain companies games . Then determine the rarity of these games based on factors like how often they have appeared on ebay in the last year or something like that. Rate them and then swap there list with someone else to cross check. Perhaps we could all then work together to come up with a collectors guide on the most collectable games. Just an idea

Whats does everyone think?
MrBland
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally I love this idea, though to be honest I thought of the "Museum" as this in a way.I guess a little more info on actual rarity of each item would be nice, though on the sought after games this is often referred to in some way in the description.

What I would value even more than actual rarity would be value (though of course they are linked). As I start buying games I like, it would be nice to know if I am paying too much. Of course value is a really hard thing to nail down and it changes a lot...
blanka
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Rarity / Collectors Guide - For Handheld Electronic Game Reply with quote

vcoleiro1 wrote:
Everyone knows about the AV, however, unless you have done your research you wouldn't know about the Palmtex Super Micro , Epoch Fights of the Titan , Defender Strikes etc etc. These are the most collectable games in this hobby, but if your new to the hobby you wouldn't have a clue, and proably wouldn't for 6 months .

I think that selection is just based on personal approach. I collect, but have no interest in either of these games (except the Titan). I interviewed a bunch of collectors here, and everyone seems to have its own approach. For the good I think! We have enough collectors trying to catch a Full Monty 60 piece boxed Nintendo Game & Watch set.

vcoleiro1 wrote:
I hate to say it, but I get the feeling this hobby is dying. I have seen so many collectors sell up in the last year its crazy.

The selling has a lot to do with the crisis I guess. Lot of people need cash. And remember: with every sale there is a seller and a BUYER. Ask the BUYER what he is up to! It is probably a new collector, which means you go from 1 who is already interested (if he sold, he still has warm feelings on the topic I guess) to 2 interested people!

And rarity is very relative to location. Try to find a Bandai Zaxxon FL in Japan or the USA, and people pay top dollar for one as they are really scarse: even on Yahoo Japan you see them for 40000¥!!. If you are a French collector though, they can be found every few weeks for a couple of Euro's. Try to find a Coleco Zaxxon in France though....
nicknicknickandnick
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me, I collect what I like the look of mostly. By "collectible" sometimes people mean akin to an investment, which isn't a good place to start a hobby if some of the 1990s comic book excesses have shown us.

I have kept track of a wide variety of games for a few years at eBay.com, in box with instructions, because that maximizes perceived value (or collectibility). The Nintendo Game and Watch series, despite not very rare on average, has a lot of people chasing them, and so can sell for hundreds. Another definition of collectible are games that help define the art of design of a period, yet are ignored or overlooked, and so are somewhat rare yet do not get much demand or money -- coming to mind are Lakeside's Computer Perfection and Castle's Tactix.

Another aspect of collectibility is tie-in with something in popular culture. Tomy's Tron, Mattel's Battlestar Galactica Space Alert, and many famous arcade game versions get many people interested. I have seen Tiger games of the recent LCD type that to my eye look kind of junky in design of shape sell for tens of dollars just because at least a couple of people are interested in the tie-in aspect.

Anyway, the forum seems to be humming steadily to me, maybe more so than a couple of years ago. It was never super busy anyway.
Dan
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still expect the hobby to take off in the coming years. I read recently that nostalgic popularity resurgences occur at the 40 year mark, and ground zero for handhelds was circa 1980, so I guess I'll keep storing my doubles (and triples, and quadruples...) for a while yet!
GameHoarder
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed that many of the game items that I have collected have gone up in value since I bought them. And the BE$T part of it is that I payed far under the going prices at the time.

I have done much the same with the obsolete badges I started collecting less then 2 years ago. I got in on the ground floor on that one as the "deals" I found back in the start don't show up much anymore.
Badge collecting is a growing hobby as there are more and more that become interested in "areas" that use "badges of authority".

I have a few other nice collections that are going up in value far more then down over the years.

When I first bought my property the scrap metal price was around $5.00 a ton. It went up to $8.00 a ton, then $20.00, $85.00 and on up to over $300.00 a ton.

I never scraped the yard as I knew the price would go up more then down over the years. Besides, I had better things to do with my time and energy. Makes another nice nest egg anywho Very Happy

I'm saving my favorite and most interesting collections like my games, badges and other more valuable items for my older old age Wink
kisember
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vcoleiro1 wrote:
kisember wrote:
Rik wrote:
And, as rare as this game is, even broken it's worth more than it sold for...

So the (disparaged) rarity guide suggested weeks ago on another thread does make sense?!

Exactly, and for the reason your alluding to. As a newbie to this hobby, there are no real guides on what is rare or collectible. A guide would be invaluable in my opinion. Not to mention fun.

I have no idea why people were not in love with the idea. To be honest since 10 days went by before someone replied or even posted on this forum since I posted that , I was seriously considering just selling up. That's why I never responded to the thread since the initial post. The lack of anyone posting on this whole forum for so long spoke volumes to me about where this hobby is at.

Just jumped here not to abuse the other (cool ebay stuff) thread.

vcoleiro1 wrote:
I have no idea why people were not in love with the idea.

1) It is explained above, that sometimes it hard to classify rarity as it might different at certain countries/continent, also the price is highly depend on the quality (including packaging, etc.) of the game
2) Having not such a rarity guide keeps the value of the games lower, at least for the rare ones.

I have a 'solution' for the rarity guide, altough people not interesed about it either. Sad
vcoleiro1
Tiger Jawbreaker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me put it this way, for starters , if you read my initial post I talk about not only putting together a guide which has rarity , but also a guide for what is collectible. I should add that I never mentioning anything about putting pricing in the guide - where did that come from?.

In relation and in direct response to rarity differing based on where your at, um, collecting in this hobby is world wide. So basically I'm saying you can define the rarity of something based on its world wide availability .But again, the guide would also be about what's collectible. For example the adventure vision is not as rare as some other games , but it is very collectible and valuable.

The whole point to the guide was to get the whole community together in creating the guide . therefor provide a guide that newbies could use to get into the hobby thus getting more people involved.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Um, this game is clearly listed as:
Incredibly Rare ++
IR is the rarest declaration in the FAQ
++ indicates the games is VERY desirable for 'play value and looks'

IR++ is highest rarity rating there is in the FAQ, and this game is clearly market that way...

Some of the rarity ratings do need to be updated as the FAQ was largely created about 10 years ago, but I think most of the IR, IR+ and IR++ games have retained their rarity status...
vcoleiro1
Tiger Jawbreaker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rik, Kisember might have given a bad example above , but the point still remains that most games are not rarity rated at all. A better example would be Defender Strikes which along with most games just has FO (Foreign - unrated) as its rating.

The fact of the matter is that most games in the FAQ are unrated for rarity. The games that are rated in the FAQ seem fair enough, I don't think anyone is questioning the accuracy for those that are rated . In fact the FAQ would be a good leg up and starting point to putting together a guide.

If you where a newbie to the hobby , you'd have to spend a year absorbing info and guessing which games are rare and collectable or even fun for that matter. Thus why I say we need a complete rarity and collectors (+ fun games) guide. It will bring more people into the hobby, and man is it needed.
MrBland
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm reading this correctly, it sounds like everyone loves the database that is here on Handheld Museum, but would like to have a more thorough rarity rating system. So why not just start a thread and people can start rating games they are familiar with from 1-10, 10 being most rare. Maybe a P for prototypes. Then if Rik wanted he could use the ratings and add them to the database. Some items people would give different rating of course, but with multiple people giving feedback you could get a good idea of the rarity.

EDIT:
Ok, I feel kind of stupid Embarassed . This whole time I have only been looking at the "Museum" which only occasionally mentions rarity. I just finished reading over the "FAQ" which is a very nice catalogue of games, rarity, and about everything else you would want to know. I now really don't see a need for another list... maybe we could start a thread for updating the FAQ though. Fill in gaps or update old info.

Nice list by the way Rik and Clinton. It is very easy to reference with good simple info Cool

Last edited by MrBland on Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vcoleiro1 wrote:
A better example would be Defender Strikes which along with most games just has FO (Foreign - unrated) as its rating.

As far as I know, the only games that aren't rated in the FAQ are foreign (to the US) games... As that's where I live, I can't very accurately judge the rarity of 95% of the foreign games out there...

Sure, Defender Strikes is pretty rare anywhere (as far as I know), but as some people have pointed out, games like the Bandai FL Zaxxon are extremely rare in the US, but can be purchased easily all over Japan (and apparently found in flea markets/boot sales in some UK countries fairly easily).

So, how do we judge the rarity there? How rare it is in the US? How rare it is in the country of manufacture? How many times in a given year you see it on eBay? (and then, just eBay.com, or should I consider eBay.co.uk and auctions.yahoo.co.jp as well?)

Most price/rarity guides released in the US are based on rarity _IN_ the US. If I did that for all the games marked FO, I'd probably have to mark most of them as extremely rare or higher, since they are _ALL_ hard to find here...

I'd happily update the foreign games, but getting true rarity for most of them would be difficult...

But I'm not opposed to starting a thread for actually come up with some numbers (either the 1-10 scale, or the custom scale in the FAQ). Get a couple of 'votes' on the rarity of any game, and I can update that. I'd even be willing to put it on the website pages directly.

And, would you want a guide in the form of a .doc/.pdf (or printed guide even), or just place that information on the game's page on the website? The FAQ is just more of a huge list with some details.. More of a check-list than a guide.

Another thing that might be interesting is to create two lists of games, no more than, say, 50 items on each list:
List 1- the games everyone should have in their collection
List 2- The grails... (The rarest of the rares... Smile )

All in fun, of course... Just kind of a 'If you are starting out, look into these...' In my opinion, everyone should have the Coleco Arcade series of games, and the early Mattel sports games (though I'm sure not everyone agrees, that's fine). And if you want rare, here's some to look for. That kind of thing. If someone has an interest in handhelds, but doesn't really know what to go after, it might get them interested (and even remind them of stuff they saw as a kid and may have forgotten about).
MrBland
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I like the idea of updating the games website. That way you have the pics/history/etc. and ratings all in one spot. Kind of a one stop shop for learning about a particular game. Then also update and keep up the "FAQ" list for quick easy referencing.

If a numbered system is used, I think the "++", "--", etc. should be kept to reference desirability. That is a nice feature in the "FAQ" I hadn't thought of before.

I would love to see the "List 1" and "List 2" ideas also. Since I am starting out in this era of handhelds, it would give me a fun area to focus on first.

Last edited by MrBland on Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
vcoleiro1
Tiger Jawbreaker

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rik wrote:
vcoleiro1 wrote:
A better example would be Defender Strikes which along with most games just has FO (Foreign - unrated) as its rating.

As far as I know, the only games that aren't rated in the FAQ are foreign (to the US) games... As that's where I live, I can't very accurately judge the rarity of 95% of the foreign games out there...

Sure, Defender Strikes is pretty rare anywhere (as far as I know), but as some people have pointed out, games like the Bandai FL Zaxxon are extremely rare in the US, but can be purchased easily all over Japan (and apparently found in flea markets/boot sales in some UK countries fairly easily).

So, how do we judge the rarity there? How rare it is in the US? How rare it is in the country of manufacture? How many times in a given year you see it on eBay? (and then, just eBay.com, or should I consider eBay.co.uk and auctions.yahoo.co.jp as well?)

Most price/rarity guides released in the US are based on rarity _IN_ the US. If I did that for all the games market FO, I'd probably have to mark most of them as extremely rare or higher, since they are _ALL_ hard to find here...

I'd happily update the foreign games, but getting true rarity for most of them would be difficult...

But I'm not opposed to starting a thread for actually come up with some numbers (either the 1-10 scale, or the custom scale in the FAQ). Get a couple of 'votes' on the rarity of any game, and I can update that. I'd even be willing to put it on the website pages directly.

I don't know why some people have brought up this rarity per country thing. 95% of the games in my collection come from OS (other than Australia). I wouldn't even be able to tell you how rare a game is in my home country Australia. The only rarity I know for a game is it's global rarity, that's all that counts - Collecting is world wide.

As for the Bandai Zaxxon you refer to , I'm looking for one, and by that I mean ebay world wide, japan auctions and some other sites ie globally . I can tell you how rare it is globally, couldn't even start to tell you how rare it is in any particular country - wouldn't have a clue , nor do I care.

As for games that are missing rarity ratings in the FAQ, yep as I said they are the foreign ones - Unfortunately they account for the majority of games.

I think a community based approach to getting a rarity / collectors guide (+ whats fun) is the way to go . I was really hoping the discussion in this thread would have been about how this can be achieved and what format it should take (including something online on this site for example).

Also, IMO - I don't think adding pricing is a good idea as that moves around to much - but that would be open to discussion. If everyone want it , so be it.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vcoleiro1 wrote:
I don't know why some people have brought up this rarity per country thing. 95% of the games in my collection come from OS (other than Australia). I wouldn't even be able to tell you how rare a game is in my home country Australia. The only rarity I know for a game is it's global rarity, that's all that counts - Collecting is world wide.

The rarity per country was brought up because there are people on this forum from all over the world... Thus the rarity of a game in the US means nothing to most of them. There isn't really any such thing as 'global' rarity. Maybe you mean 'internet rarity'. But even that is subjective to some degree. I can go to eBay.com and search for a foreign game and not find any (lets say a German game). Then I go to eBay.de, and suddenly I find 4 forsale there, since it's a relatively common game in Germany. But none of the sellers speak English or ship internationally... So how does that really help me? And how do I rate it? If I was in Germany, I could get it easily for $10. Since I'm the US, I can't get it all (at that time at least).

Sure that won't be the case _every_ time, but we have to decide what to base rarity on... I don't really consider the Adventure Vision to be as rare as some people think it is... Seems like there's one on eBay every month or so... Sure, it's expensive, but it's not really rare in the sense that you can go for years without ever having the chance to even buy one. But, other than finding them on eBay and hoping they ship internationally, it's probably nearly impossible for you to find. (AV is probably a bad example because of it's desirability, but I know you can relate to it... Smile ) If I was going to honestly rate the AV, I'd probably give it a SC++ based on the US, but an IR++ based on the world (since I'm pretty sure it really is damn hard to find them locally anywhere outside the US). If I _needed_ one (in the US), all I'd have to do is wait a month or two, one will turn up. Try that with Black Knight, Escape 1000 Mazes or Galaxx... Those are games that are truly IR++ world wide.

So, for some games a global rarity is pretty easy, but for many it's not.

But, I suppose it really wouldn't be too hard to come up with some kind of rarity value for most of them that can be perceived to be universally acceptable... Might just take some discussion.

vcoleiro1 wrote:
As for the Bandai Zaxxon you refer to , I'm looking for one, and by that I mean ebay world wide, japan auctions and some other sites ie globally . I can tell you how rare it is globally, couldn't even start to tell you how rare it is in any particular country - wouldn't have a clue , nor do I care.

Again, that's globally _on the internet_. I'd be willing to bet I could walk into Akihabara (or places like that in Japan) and buy one right off the shelves of a store. I've noticed Japan auctions seem to be on the decline in general over the last few years (anyone in Japan notice that? I don't really search it daily). But I've seen pictures of shops there that look like our own collections on display. Bandai FL Pengo, FL Burgertime, Gakken Dig Dug... These simply are not that hard to find _in_ Japan... They are by no means common, but you can find them if you look.

vcoleiro1 wrote:
As for games that are missing rarity ratings in the FAQ, yep as I said they are the foreign ones - Unfortunately they account for the majority of games.

Well, yeah... From anyone's point of view, 'foreign' is always going to be larger than 'domestic'. Mr. Green

vcoleiro1 wrote:
I think a community based approach to getting a rarity / collectors guide (+ whats fun) is the way to go . I was really hoping the discussion in this thread would have been about how this can be achieved and what format it should take (including something online on this site for example).

I definitely agree with this... Since there are a _lot_ of games out there... How about breaking it up into groups. Would we want to try to rate every game, or just the ones we are more familiar with? Maybe pick a manufacturer with games that need ratings (or ratings updates), give them the ratings you think they probably should have, and post that here. See if anyone agrees/disagrees with any of it, and adjust accordingly.

To get some semblance of accuracy, we would probably need the input of more than one person Cool so hopefully we can get people motivated to offer opinions/help out.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: