The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Adventure Vision

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Games wanted
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MrBland
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2012 5:30 am    Post subject: Adventure Vision Reply with quote

Well turns out the one I have isn't repairable, sucks but I knew I was taking a risk. So thought I'd list here. The one I have is fuctional except for the LED board, so ideally if someone has a broken one I can buy for the LED board that would be perfect. Any functional system in bad shape (broken screen, etc.) would work too. I am hoping to get something relatively cheap and make a functional unit between the two. Thanks,

Mr.Bland
vcoleiro1
Tiger Jawbreaker

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What exactly is the problem with your Adventure Vision MrBland?.

Is it that some LED's are not working?. If so , that is repairable. There is a thread on this forum detailing how the LEDs can be replaced.
MrBland
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vcoleiro1 wrote:
What exactly is the problem with your Adventure Vision MrBland?.

Is it that some LED's are not working?. If so , that is repairable. There is a thread on this forum detailing how the LEDs can be replaced.

To be honest I'm not a hundred percent sure. I don't believe any of the LEDs are burnt out. The screen lights up, game noises, but game won't run. I sent it to Rik and he did an elimination process and narrowed it down to something with the LED board causing the problem but he can't figure out how to fix it. So I am hoping maybe I can find a broken unit I can steal the LED board out of.
blanka
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are the shift registers broke?
MrBland
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. Rik still has it maybe he can shed some light?
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blanka wrote:
Are the shift registers broke?

Yeah, I'm assuming that's it... If I put the LED board from my game on his, it works perfectly (so I have confirmed the rest of the game works fine). His LED board on my game makes my game do what his is doing (only the lower 5 or 6 rows of LEDs light up dimly most of the time, sometimes it'll spastically flash them all...)

Oddly, it prevents the game from running too... There must be some feedback sent back to the CPU from the LED board- with the LED board disconnected, the AV won't run the game (operating the controls doesn't do anything, I'd be able to hear the sounds). Counting the little blobs on the board, it looks like there are 5 shift registers, and a sixth chip for something... Unfortunately it's all surface mount epoxy-coated chips, so there's not much I can do with them...

Never seen an AV with a bad LED board before (other than individual LEDs being damaged).
blanka
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't the AV read the cycle of the mirror with a sensor? Isn't that one connected to the LED board? If it is dirty or not working, it will make the processor go wacko as it looses key timing info.

Rik: can you make good pics or scans of all PCB's (both sides) and document the wires between them (with pictures)? I can take a look at the total functioning of the AV and make an overall schematic, but the info on AV.com is too bad for it (crappy photo's).
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, nothing is connected to the LED board but a ribbon cable to the main board. The motor speed sensor and the motor wires themselves are just wired directly to the main board as well.

There's a bunch of pictures here:
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/_Temp/AV/

There's a front/back of the main PCB, a front of the LED board, looks like only a back of the controller board... And then some random internal pics... (Nothing organized, I just threw those up for someone a while back...) On the second-to-last picture, the ribbon cable at the top goes to the controller/sound board, the one at the bottom goes to the LED board.

The green and yellow wires on the back of the PCB go to the mirror motor, the brown, yellow and black ones next to the LED ribbon cable go to the motor speed sensor.

There's schematics and other techy stuff here:
http://atarihq.com/danb/adventurevision.shtml
(but the LED board isn't included in the schematics I don't think...)
blanka
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the other side of the keyboard PCB and LED PCB. I miss the sound micro for example.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at P1010022.JPG and P1010057.JPG that I just uploaded. That's a kind of distant shot of the control board, and a closeup of the sound chip area. I had those handy. I never took a picture of the back of the LED board, so I'll have to open up an AV again to get that. Surprised that I forgot to do that... Rolling Eyes
blanka
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the large connector on the PCB? It is not connected to anything isn't it? Was it a test connector?
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Expansion Port'... Cool Designed for the possibility of future attachments, it's accessible by popping a little cover off the side the game, which you can see on the side of the system here:
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Entex/AV.html

I think they were actually considering the possibility of a computer keyboard attachment, but I don't think anything ever reached even the drawing stages for it...
MrBland
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rik wrote:
'Expansion Port'... Cool Designed for the possibility of future attachments, it's accessible by popping a little cover off the side the game, which you can see on the side of the system here:
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Entex/AV.html

I think they were actually considering the possibility of a computer keyboard attachment, but I don't think anything ever reached even the drawing stages for it...

Keyboard attachment would have been pretty cool... though I am hard put to think of a good use for one in a machine like this.... maybe custom programming..?...
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably, in some rudimentary way... Maybe a very simplified BASIC cartridge or something... It was probably just added so they could put 'Expansion Port!' on the box or something. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Games wanted All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: