The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
You're wasting your time and your money on toys/junk
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see, Coleco Galaxian with box... I've had 4:

July 2000, paid $86 (probably a ripped box)
Sept 2000, paid $61 (again, probably a bad box...)
Jan 2006, paid $206 (Very nice, U.S. Mint box)
July 2007, paid $100 (Mint game, U.S. mint box, but was taped shut by the store that originally sold it...)

It all depends on the condition of the box. Really nice, presentable box, I'd probably round it to the $150-250 range. Canadian boxes are worth less (you can tell them by the French writing on them).

Games in average condition boxes probably fall in the $75-125 range...

And, if you don't want the box, you can always resell just that... Someone will buy it!

Rik
ShadowFlame76
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm ok.. i paid about $154 that's including the shipping Canadian (it would've been less if the Canadian $ didn't suck so much at this present time for exchange rate, and if there wasn't this other bidder bidding on it and two other coleco galaxians at the same time)

it's a Canadian Box (in decent condition has some tears and such) as the seller is in Quebec but thankfully all the decals and the one that goes on where the joysticks and buttons are is in English, cause i think they give you extra overlays with different languages on some coleco's or i could be mistaken.

here is the item: http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAP.....0106464740

once it arrives i'll take a pic of my Coleco games (still missing Ms. Pac-Man at this time) and of my Q*Bert game and of my consoles.. not that anyone would be interested in seeing the Coleco's or the consoles and the console games lol

[/u]
physics223
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mother told me this and I tend to agree with her. But unlike a lot of people in this thread, I'm still pretty young at 22. I can, however, appreciate how these games shaped our present advances in video game technology and played some of them as a child. I have much respect for them, however, I can only afford so much, being a student from a third-world country. I'm not very much into collecting boxed games, or even collecting much, but my present study into video game history has piqued my interest as regards the video games of the past.

I'm hoping against hope that I find a Super Micro for less than 100 USD. It may be just a small amount for you guys but it's a very significant amount of money for me. I want it because I appreciate its place in history as one of the forefathers of the modern handheld; I don't even need it boxed, or even in pristine condition, I just want it working with a cartridge. Seeing this forum, however, has thrown me back into reality. A video from Mr. Rik would have to do. I hope I can get over this interest in due time because it's simply become just fruitless for me: I look at your collections, Linda, Rik, and Tomas (I've been reading a lot in the forums) and I realize that I would probably need a lot more than a job here to sustain effort and dedication (not to mention cash flow) like yours.

I now regret I chose to study handheld gaming, but I really admire your collections. Sorry for the lengthy post, I just wanted to vent. Smile

If you got up to here, thanks a lot for reading.
GameHoarder
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a friend that just shakes his head when he visits and we are in one of the rooms that have banana boxes stacked 8 high in many rows that are filled with video game items. He says that it's a waste of good money, but then he is into the fancy go cart racing and spends over a thousand on a go kart engine, yep, just the engine by the time it is all set up for racing.

But anyway, he saw a box that I had sitting on a table that was filled with loose iQuest handhelds that I was gathering together. He asked what I was ever going to do with all those old outdated gadgets.

I told him that I didn't pay but about a couple dollars each for them and I figured that I could get my money back and then some at most any time if I sold them. Then I told him the reason that I had collected up so many of them was that there were people that were taking these type items and some of the older game systems and childrens electronic toys, and that some people are doing "circuit bending" and modding, ect, with them and that raises the value of a old system that becomes popular once again to a public.

I then went on and told him that I was "banking on" that the iQuest was a system that I saw someone finding someway of doing something interesting with some time in the near future and that when there is a "electronic gadget" that can be bought at a reasonable cost and then that gadget becomes very popular with those that want them, well you can do the math Very Happy

I found that they are doing some type of modding with the Juice Box MP3 players these days so the value of them is still doing very well.

The old Texas Instruments Speak n Spell, Speak n Math, ect. have become very popular with those that like to "twist them" and such. They are selling the original Speak n Spell and others that were made of the set on eBay for over $50.00 loose and boxed ones bring over a hundred. I have a few of those around here somewhere Surprised

Then there are the original Game Boy systems where they redo them in some ways. I have over 200 of those original grey Game Boy systems that I have bought over the years at very reasonable prices. Most of them work and some need slight repair. Few are out right junk. I have extra battery doors, new replacement lenses and new replacement button parts that I have bought over the years.

The Game Boy is what I started out collecting as I thought it would be "cool" to have over 100 of them that all looked the same. I also have many of the Play it Loud systems as well as the other Game Boy systems on up to the Advance SP. I have no newer Game Boy systems beyond that. I wait until the price comes down on the latest items. I can wait years,lol.

I view video game related item collecting as a WI$E INVE$TMENT for the best possible future pay off. If nothing else, it sure is fun collecting interesting toys at any rate Wink
Dan
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think they are the next hot collectible, I figured things would take off when kids who were 10 in 1980 got to be 40, which is this year! But the bad economy has pushed it back a bit perhaps.

I'll just keep telling myself this, while I wonder where I can move my mountain of boxes yet again... Wink I need the space where they are for something else now! Rolling Eyes

Looking at what some of these guys are asking in their eBay stores lately, it might be starting to happen!
LM
Microvision

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Dan. I think retrogaming has colossal potential and yes, we're already starting to see it.

I started retrogaming 6 years back- first buying vintage NES ,then working into other things, eventually into battery operated handhelds and table tops. I can already see phase III is going to be arcade standups... Right now, the immediate resale value of my retrogames is beating both real estate and the stock market over the same time period, relative to what I paid.

To be certain, I'm not much on 'alternative asset classes' and I don't view vintage video games as investment vehicles, but I do believe there's the potential for the nostalgia-boom to really hit on these, in which case the demand will outstrip the available supply (it's already started to happen...). I don't buy them with an eye on resale, as much as I do with an eye towards economy. I believe they might get more expensive in the future and I enjoy them, so I'm acquiring them now.
Dan
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me about it. For several years, I bought duplicates of games on eBay whenever I thought they were going too cheap. (As in way less than I paid for my first one of something!) To the point of obsession. Along with newer games at thrift stores and garage sales that I knew did well on eBay or were just too cheap to pass up.

So, I've been biding my time, waiting for the realm to take off...

Meanwhile, my eBay buying has all but stopped. My watch list used to be too full to add to (200), now it's unusual if I have 10 auctions in progress being watched, and they won't even be close to all being games.

I suppose the takeoff could start without me even noticing, these days! Maybe it has?
LM
Microvision

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"midlife" seems to be the magic number on nostalgia collectibles.

It was that way with sports cards in the 1980's- when the guys who collected them as 10 years olds in 1955 turned 40 (give or take a bit here or there), whammo. The rocket went off and spawned all sorts of related mania behaviors and industries... Same goes for classic cars- when guys who drove a certain car or lusted after a certain model when they were 16 turn 55 and have some disposable income beneath them, watch out...

With retrogames, it's a bit different since these days we can emulate system based games and with accurate USB retrogame controllers, get essentially the same gaming experience. Right now, I'm looking at a NES controller plugged into my laptop... If someone wants to play old Atari games, they have any number of technologically super options to buying the ancient electronics themselves and giving them a go. Obviously, that sort of thing will be left to the hard-core enthusiasts and purists, but I suspect there will be just enough of them around to make it worthwhile...

Handhelds, I don't think those will ever be a huge part of it, since they were never really as culturally iconic as system based games, but for every vintage handheld game out there, there's someone who owned it as a kid many years ago who'd probably like to play it again. Obviously, emulation doesn't quite work the same way with these.

Either way, it's interesting stuff. As someone who grew up during Baseball Card Mania 1.0 and was a full-on participant as a kid, I've given a lot of thought to phenomenology and 'collector mania', what spawns it, what the value drivers are, etc. I think retrogames are a good pick and as a collectible, have every single thing going for them, starting with nostalgia, running through the breadth of their variety to ensure collector interest and attention span. I think we're pretty far ahead of the curve as far as 'making money', but speaking only for myself, I'm not in it for money. I just love old games and like to play them and don't want to have to spend $500 for a Coleco Frogger in box, (X) years from now.
blanka
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My GF may shop a romper or a shirt for our baby boy every time I shop a game. It works perfectly!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: