The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
This made my day perfect...

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Petrolpol
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:02 am    Post subject: This made my day perfect... Reply with quote

Yesterday, I bought a broken Donkey Kong JR. Tabletop for 10?
The seller tells me that only the sound is working.

@home, new batteries -> Only sound is working Sad

But, if I tilt the tabletop more than 45 degrees I can see something moving on the screen...

So I open it up and guess what :

Only problem was the polarizing filter is in the wrong position Razz

Happy me

Yessss!

Sad to bad it has no battery cover
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Petropol!
I had a similar happy experience yesterday. I won a non working boxed Tomy Tron for ?9 http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayI.....RK:MEWN:IT . He said it didn't work with batteries or transformer, but when I tried it with batteries it fired up straight away Smile . It is in virtually new condition and can hardly ever have been played!
It must be one of my best ever buys Yessss!
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wonder what people do when they sell games as 'tested, but not working' and then when I put batteries in it, it works fine (That's happened to me once or twice...).

Did they test it with dead batteries or something? Mr. Green
Dan
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had that happen too!

My theory:
The AC adapter jack disconnects the batteries when a plug is inserted, and oxidation on the contact that accomplishes this will make the batteries stay disconnected even when no plug is inserted. Sometimes the bustle of transport scrapes through enough of it to where it wakes up!

As for it not working with the adapter, the polarity could be wrong, the plug size could be wrong, and many people don't even know that not all adapters are equivalent, so they might not have the right voltage, or even be using one with AC output! Rolling Eyes

The first thing I try when a game is dead is to work the adapter jack a bunch of times, or give it a blast of tuner spray. Does the trick quite often!
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think battery movement in the post could cause some games to come alive again, but my contacts were minty and there were no batteries in it on delivery. I suppose he could have put one of the batteries in the wrong way around.
spacemonsterviras
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it's the right time of year for things to be coming back to life. Laughing Oh hang on, that would be Easter, wouldn't it?

A few months ago I won a boxed Coleco Pacman for $25 because it was presumed dead. You can imagine my joy when it worked first time with fresh batteries.

More recently I won an Onko Super Space Jack, nearly MIB but not functioning. For some strange reason - and this is something I simply never do - I gave it a sharp tap on the rear... and it powered up. Happy happy joy joy.

I still have a few games that have resisted all attempts at revival, however. Can anyone tell me how to take apart a Parker Brothers Wildfire? I've removed the only two screws I can see, but it steadfastly refuses to come apart. It seems you may have to prize the shell sections apart, but I don't want to force it lest I damage the casing in the process.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: