The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
What could this game be?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pazuzu

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 8:42 pm    Post subject: What could this game be? Reply with quote

Years ago, one could buy many shoddily made LCD handhelds here (and a few genuine, good ones, such as Tiger, etc. Wink Most of these cheap handhelds were made by a "company" (?) that either didn't identify itself or called itself Levi's. I believe the units themselves were manufactured in China, and most were packaged in small (not much bigger than the games) paper-and-styrofoam boxes with see-through tops. Many were so cheap, though, that they didn't have any boxes at all and were just sold "hand to hand".

I suspect they were outright ripoffs of Japanese and US handhelds (or slightly modified copies, like the Russian and Chinese handheld games).

Anyway, there were dozens of these, ranging from various races to hunting games, but there was one that's been puzzling me and that I'd really love to identify, my one favorite among these shoddy handhelds of the past. Better yet, if it was (as I suspect) a ripoff of some Tiger/Casio/Nintendo/Bandai/whatever game, I'd love to know the original and its title.

I'm pretty sure the version I had - the "Levi's" one - was called "Helicopter" and it was in cream/beige color, with black sides and a black frame around the screen. I think it had four triangular buttons. As for the "plot", the game took place in an army camp/barracks; I think the background insert had actual paintings of these semi-circular army hangars you often see in air force bases. You were playing as a soldier (wearing a helmet and a uniform) and were supposed to do something that involved moving from one edge of the screen to the other, and back (the usual handheld objective, so to speak Smile. My memory is really fuzzy here, but the objective *could* have been picking up a package that was dropped by a helicopter (a helicopter which could have been invisible, in fact - I don't actually recall *seeing* any chopper, but perhaps I just forgot) - and then carrying it away and throwing over the base's fence (Or I may be making it all up right now; I *seem* to remember something of this sort, but I'm not at all sure if this really was the objective, if there was any package, fence, or helicopter...)

What I do remember and am rather certain of is that other soldier(s) appeared on screen in semi-regular intervals, aimed rifle(s) at the protagonist, and shot at him (I can't remember the number of lives Smile. One thing I definitely *am* sure of is that, occasionally, an enemy soldier with a knife showed up in the bottom (bottom right?) part of the screen, and tried to stab the hero, Norman Bates style (overhead Smile

I do remember the title and "death" music quite well, and can even still whistle it, but I doubt it's of any use. Wink

If anyone recognizes anything familiar in this description, let me know...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: