The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Coleco Frogger.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> High Scores
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Coleco Frogger. Reply with quote

This score is for a CGL Frogger which I believe is the same as the Coleco but in a different case.

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/CGL/Frogger.htm

Do the CGL and Gakken Frogger games count in this section Rik?

Thanks, Neil.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll put it under Gakken (CGL) for now... I'll have to play them side-by-side to make sure they are exactly the same... (Anyone else know for sure?)
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rik Smile .

All Coleco Froggers might not be exactly the same anyway. In the Museum you state "I'm told there's a game-play variation in (Coleco) Frogger as well".

Neil.
billytherobot
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 6:00 pm    Post subject: coleco frogger Reply with quote

here's my score so far....skill 2......3588....(click photo to enlarge)......billytherobot
billytherobot
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: my wife beat my score Reply with quote

my wife beat my coleco frogger skill 2 score. (click photo to enlarge)

5,470 Score by: wifeofbillytherobot
blanka
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gakken and Coleco have the same CPU, but not the same VFD tube. The Gakken is slightly larger, with a little more detail to the sprites. Don't know if that affects game play though.
They also share the joystick design, so no difference between metal strip or rubber pad sticks on this one.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have both of these opened? What are the exact numbers on your CPUs?
My Gakken Frogger is:
M58846-700P
My Coleco Frogger is:
M58846-701P

The number after the dash represents the program code on the ROM of the chip. Since this number is different, that implies that there is some difference in the code. It's not like software revisions either, M58846-702P could be a chip used in a car computer or something, it simply means the next ROM code loaded into the manufacturing process... (Obviously both versions of these ROMs were sent to manufacture by Konami at the same time, so that suggests they are similar, but there is a deliberate difference between them...)

My Coleco chip was made in 1982, and my Gakken chip was made in 1983, so they were definitely using both versions concurrently...

I know there are differences in Coleco Froggers too, so it's possible there are 700P chips in some Coleco Froggers... I have another one I can open, so I'll check that one out as well...

Comparing the VFD display itself, mine are both exactly the same size. If you can see the back of your VFDs:
My Coleco is CP5090
My Gakken is CP5084
This is printed inside the glass, and on a sticker on the back of the display.

The glass and the sprites are the same size, but they are not 100% identical. One really obvious difference is my Gakken VFD has what looks like a dying frog at the very beginning (left side) of the 1st and 3rd rows (frogs on logs) and the end of the 2nd and 4th rows (frogs on turtles). I assume you die in either version if you let the logs/turtles carry you off the edge of the screen, but the VFD actually shows it on the Gakken one. (I'm looking at two games that don't work, so I can't play test them...) The vehicles look different between them too...

Ultimately, differences in the VFD display won't affect scoring as it really doesn't affect the game play... It's the difference in the code on the CPU I'd be concerned with. It'd be nice if we could find a quick, easy way to identify any difference without having to open the game...

Rik
blanka
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does it have a Demo mode. Maybe you can check how they run side by side if you turn them on at the same time. I might have the idea that the Coleco allows you to hop on logs at the far end of the display, while you are already dead on the Gakken (the falling frog symbol).
blanka
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rik wrote:
This is printed inside the glass, and on a sticker on the back of the display.

Can you see that from the top? Most of the more advanced panels are soldered on 2 sides. I only have my mint Frogger here, and I'm not going to open that one Smile.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, you have to lift up the VFD a little. The Frogger ones are only attached on one side, so you can do that easily, but it's not necessary. The VFDs aren't different enough that it's a concern. (You have to do that to see the CPU in Coleco ones though as the chip is under the VFD...)

I'll have to find my Gakken Frogger so I can play them both side-by-side. I have at least two Coleco Froggers that I can open and inspect as well (and play them all at the same time)... Maybe we can figure all this out. Smile

Rik
blanka
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found some differences.
Gakken has sound mute switch
Coleco has reset button
Coleco has turtles that disappear (did not see that yet on my Gakken, maybe in later levels). The Gakken version has bigger gaps between logs at certain moments. Do you die at the far left/right while jumping on the water with the Coleco?
serge1
Kenner Red Line

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:00 pm    Post subject: here is it.. Reply with quote

Here is my score for the frogger. 6378 level 2. That little one required all my attention pass 5K. Most of the time you get only one log to park the frog at he top and its moving damn fast. Oh Billy my friend, tell your wife she has my deepest respect but all good things must come to an end. Take care bro. Mr. Green Mr. Green Mr. Green Yessss!

billytherobot
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:19 pm    Post subject: serge!!!!!! Reply with quote

SERGE!!!!
do you have a job?!! i'd bet you are independently wealthy.
you must spend all your time beating high scores and chasing women.
listen my friend, i have some amazing tricks up my sleeve.
i'll be in touch soon with some interesting videos.
until then....
your stubborn brother from another mother...
billy
serge1
Kenner Red Line

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: serge!!!!!! Reply with quote

billytherobot wrote:
SERGE!!!!
do you have a job?!! i'd bet you are independently wealthy.
you must spend all your time beating high scores and chasing women.
listen my friend, i have some amazing tricks up my sleeve.
i'll be in touch soon with some interesting videos.
until then....
your stubborn brother from another mother...
billy

Lol!!! Billy I am 38 so not totally independently wealthy but sure I would like to Mr. Green Its winter here and not much to do after work other than making you angry. Mr. Green Mr. Green But I know that you are a relentless brother and soon I am sure I will taste the full power of your stubborness! Shocked Shocked Mr. Green Mr. Green Until then I will keep an eye on my flanks! Mr. Green
billytherobot
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 7:43 pm    Post subject: frog it up! Reply with quote

my wife wouldn't let me beat serge on frogger.
she said, "serge is mine on this!"
coleco's frogger, skill 2 = 8,992
wife of billytherobot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> High Scores All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: