The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Why has no one built an Adventure Vision replica?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamtex
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Why has no one built an Adventure Vision replica? Reply with quote

Given the Adventure vision is quite an expensive machine, I always wondered why no one has built a replica of the system in some form.

Looking at detail at the machine, you realise that it is a very simple machine, probably simpler then the cheap 8 bit micros like the ZX80 or hex based computers.

The hardware itself basically an 8048-11Mhz microcontroller, a COP411L microcontroller, 2 2114 RAM chips (1024 words x 4 bit, so 1KB), a 74LS373 which is a latch so the 8048 can select between address and data. a 74LS74 which is a flip flop which seems to reset the COP411 depending on the value of address/data pin DB0 and a reset signal that is generated by the LED controller, a 74LS00 which is a NAND gate and is mainly used to invert signals and to handle the reading and writing of the RAM chips.

Although the LED module has 5 ICs on it, they do seem to handle the addressing of the LEDs from 3 address pins, an active low strobe, the databus and the RD pin.

Hardware wise I cant see too many major issues. the EPROM based 8748 can be picked up quite easily for $20 programmed and would be easier to program then the ROM based 8048.

The COP411 can still be bought for $10 but programming it would be difficult without making hardware to do so, an alternative would be to use a PIC microcontroller to take its place. It basically gets command codes sent to it which will play 1 or 2 tones or a sound effect. it uses two output pins for this, one to play the tones and one to halve / turn off the sound.

Because of the odd addressing of the RAM chips you would need to use 4bit RAM chips, but the 2114 is still available at around $2 each. The 74LS chips are 50cents each if that.

The LED module would be tricky, but there are two ways of doing it. Using a microcontroller or driver you could drive a 150x40 display, although it should not be too hard to make a spinning mirror and reflect the LEDs onto that. Soldering 40 SMD LEDS to a board could be tricky but could be made for around $50. The logic behind it is quite simple.

The board could be wired for a 27128 IC (about $3 or $8 programmed) which you could program a single IC to play all 4 games, selecting the game could be done by a switch or a counter with a reset switch.

The case would be the most tricky part, but for a demonstration unit it would not matter too much then you could use any old joystick and 4 buttons.If you did want a case then vacuumed formed parts could make up a simple case as a proper injected molded case although not expensive to prodice would cost a four figure sum to cast the molds.

Realistically a working unit could be built (sans soldering) for around $150 or so.

Most of the information needed to build the unit is around, although a high resolution scan or the boards would be nice to be able to make a PCB as well as access to the COP411 chip as programming another IC would require a real chip to compare it with.
vcoleiro1
Tiger Jawbreaker

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you did want to create a demonstration AV, then you would not need to redevelop the HW. There is always this option:

http://www.fpgaarcade.com/av.htm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTmO513iJmA

In regards to emulating the case, I hope no one does it. The last thing we need is the issue of having to deal with fraudulent clones in the market.
blanka
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First question: Why?
Guess there is enough machines to serve the people who need exotic items.
- What is the quality of the games? Are they better than the VFD version in game experience?
- Why emulate hardware if the AV is already done in MESS. Put a 35€ raspberry Pi in some box with tiny Oled screen and you can simulate the AV as good or better than with just-off led grids.
- How many were sold. What was the importance on the audience and on the industry. Close to none?

If you want to create something, start making Pong faux woodgrain cabs or Computer Space shells. They make at least a funky piece of furniture.
Jamtex
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm missed the FGPA versions, but it is too difficult to make one and the modules listed are in the high 150 euro bracket.

Why? Well why not? You have seen the lovely handheld display I have in Game On and although I know I do need more handhelds, the Adventure Vision is one I get asked for the most. As I do not have a ton of money to purchase such an item, a replica would be better.

If you are running a video game exhibition then you could emulate near everything (hello Art of Video Games) but it is more impressive to run everything on original hardware as close as possible.

Making a replica with as close to the original hardware would do just as well as I want the open machine to be on display so people can see the chips and more importantly see the mirror spinning.

Looking more at it, I can use a COP401L which can use an EPROM rather then being mask programmed but is basically COP410/1L compatable and I found a supplier who has these for $4 each. This would require an EPROM and another 74LS373 chip but it will work.

So I have a summer project to work on. Just need to get someone to open up an Adventure vision and give me high resolution photos and some measurements.
blanka
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you make a replica, why bother messing with those old microcontrollers? Or do you want to run the original code? What about using a modern MCU that drives all the 40 LED's directly? Or a standard product like the Arduino Mega, which can drive all you need from a single chip? Or use a raspberry pi running the mess-code for the AV.
The most important things for you seem to be the case and the mirrored image. The MCU is not a big deal for the user experience.
vcoleiro1
Tiger Jawbreaker

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing to be carefull of Jamtex. If you do create one or you use the emulator, you might want to check on the legality issue if it will be on public display. It's very unlikely, but if someone reports it, there could be issues.
Jamtex
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2012 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By using the old microcontrollers then the machine will be 100% accurate, the only difference being I will be using ROMless versions of the chips and I do find that people do like seeing the internals of machines.

I did consider using a modern MCU but decided against it as it would take more work. At the moment the LED driver part of the circuit is 7 LS chips, but I am looking at ways to make this simpler. I am going to make everything on a breadboard first before making a PCB. I have ordered the COP401 and 8748 chips.

As for the legality issue, Entex ceased to exist in 1982, although some assets they had like the various model kits they had were sold (and evidence for this is quite easy to find), I can find no evidence that any of their electronic games were sold off. Although any patents the machines had has lapsed and I have permission by Konami to use their games within an exhibition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: