The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Greetings!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
That80sGuy
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Greetings! Reply with quote

Hey everyone..I just signed up. A friend gave me an old broken Coleco Head to Head Football game recently, because I fix and restore old arcade games. When I got it it didn't power up at all..so I opened it up checked a few things and realized the battery connector had a problem with the positive side being a bit loose. Once I corrected that the game powered up..now the only problem is the up button barely works..seems the metal pad on the circuit board is cracked. After googleing I found this website in the hopes of finding links to parts and or advice on fixing it.

Now After working on this game I have caught the bug for finding and fixing more hand helds. Mr. Green Just purchased two non-working Mattel Basketball 2 games. I can't wait to get those working. LOL Yessss!

Having just turned 40..these games were big on my Christmas list when I was young. Just a neat part of my child hood I guess.

I look forward to chatting with you guys on the boards here.
Linda
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome!

I remember when I started I bought mostly broken games because I enjoyed fixing them. You're taking me down memory lane.

It's a great hobby. Have fun with it.

Linda
That80sGuy
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

I noticed there isn't a specific section in the forums for repairs. Since you have done some..whats the best method to fix a broken contact pad on the circuit board? Should I try to make my own.. or just look for hand helds that are too far gone for repair and just salvage them for parts?

Thanks! Wink
Linda
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was blessed with a technician at work who helped me with anything that required extensive soldering. Unfortunately he's no longer works with me.
Can't you just solder it? On metal lines he would flake off the peeling metal and take small strands of copper wire to recreate the path, but I don't remember having any broken contact pads.

Linda
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi! And welcome to the forums!

Are you talking about the triangular shaped metal things that are taped to the circuit board? If so, your best bet is to just cannibalize another game... If you ever have a game you can't (or don't want to) repair, save all the little parts, even these metal discs. I have a stack of them somewhere, if I can find them I can send you a couple, but I'm not sure where they are...

I usually part out games that don't work and look so bad anyway that they aren't worth fixing. (Like if the case is cracked, all the stickers/printed artwork have been completely removed, or some previous owner decided to graffiti the whole game with an exacto knife...)

I keep any battery contacts that aren't damaged, any speakers that are connected by wires, any part of any button that I can salvage (the button itself, the rubber contact underneath (or metal on in this case), sometimes I'll even de-solder switches from the board just to have around). If it's a VFD game, I just keep the whole circuit board, you never know of you might need the little power-transformer for another game. Most of the rest of the circuits you can just buy new...

If you are crafty enough, you can probably make something out of a Coke can or something that will work pretty good though.

Rik
That80sGuy
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah..if you've ever opened up a 'Head to Head Football' its the metal pad that makes contact with the circuit. I literally just caught the bug for hand held games and have no spare parts. I figured someone here might have some. That would be great if you do.

Here is a pic of the board so you can see the shape that I need. Upon further examination I need at least two.

Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eww... It's _that_ kind. Rolling Eyes Well, there might be good/bad news here. I was thinking of a different type (I think the kind used in the Mattel games). These have to be soldered in obviously, and I don't think I have any spares (although I probably have some spare games I could pull them out of).

I believe someone actually made a good replacement out of a staple (like the kind of staples those high-powered staple guns from the hardware store use). But, to get an original we'd have to find a game to pull it from. I'll see if I have any dead/ugly Coleco games around (they are common enough, I probably do...).

Rik
That80sGuy
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have them that would be great. I do have a couple broken 'Basketball 2' games arriving soon from e-bay.

I appreciate your efforts.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: