The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
gakken paint roller halp

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bomberpunk
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: gakken paint roller halp Reply with quote

got one of these tabletops off of ebay, broken, figuring i would take a shot at fixing it.

the game does power on and play. even the controls are responsive and make little beeps when you move. however, my games last about 2 seconds because i'm always running into an enemy because i can't see.

the double-sided VFD screen is completely dead. i took it apart and didn't see any disconnected or loose wires. the only oddities are (1) a 6-inch hairline crack that runs from the side of the unit towards the battery compartment, so obviously this guy was dropped or something; (2) there's a round white marking at the far left side of the VFD display about 1/3 the size of a US dime. i don't know how else to describe it. i may have to take a photo of that.

i would like to fix it myself if possible, otherwise i may reBay it.
any suggestions?

thanks,
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that crack on the case, or the VFD display glass itself?

If it's been dropped, there's a good chance the VFD is broken... Obvious weak point would be the exhaust tip. This is a little piece of glass that looks kind of like a tiny baby bottle nipple that will be sticking out of the side of VFD. In this picture:
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Guts/Gakken-PaintRollerGuts.jpg
It's at the top of the VFD, at the top of the picture, just poking out of the plastic frame the display is cased in. A good shock snapping that off will destroy it. I can't remember if the plastic frame around the display is easy to remove or not, but if so take it off and examine the VFD very closely for any kinds of chips or cracks... Except for the exhaust tip, VFDs are made of pretty thick glass, so any damage should be obvious...

Also, see section 2 of my Coleco repair guide here:
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Coleco/ColecoRepair/index3.html
As far as the electronics go, this guide will apply to almost every VFD game...

The round circle on the glass is normal, but it's usually a grey/silvery color... Is it actually a powder-white color, or silvery? I'm not sure if that can change colors if the glass breaks or not... But, in general, that's normal. Most people freak out since it usually looks like a big burn mark. Cool

Rik
bomberpunk
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, the crack is on the case, and you're right about that "burn mark" thing being silver/grey.

i took it apart again and checked the side of the display. there's a hole about the same size of the "burn"on the black plastic securing piece, and inside that hole is a hole ON the VFD where apparently a nipple used to be. it broke off. i guess the previous owner opened it up and threw out that piece because there was nothing loose rattling in there.

"Any hole in the display itself will destroy it permanently."

bummer.

thanks for all the helpful info, Rik. i guess i'm reBaying it "for parts only".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: