The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Replayability and / or Wow Factor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasontgarrett
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Replayability and / or Wow Factor Reply with quote

Are there games that you return to fairly often because the replayability is above average? Or, are there games that had a wow factor to them because of functionality that you didn't expect?

On the first topic - replayability -- I find myself going back to Tomy Lupin, Epoch Galaxy II, Bandai FL Burger Time (VFD), and Bandai FL Zackman / The Pit.

For "wow" factor, I was blown away on Grandstand Star Force when the alien ships started coming up the sides of the screen -- and then again when my ship was allowed to shoot horizontal as well as vertical! I was also surprised in Galaxy II when the ship split in 2 for the "controlled landing" part of the game. I also loved the first time I turned on Mattel Electronics Gravity and the 3 balls just start bouncing -- almost taunting -- waiting for you to do something. Admittedly, and for reasons I can't really describe, I always find Tandy Caveman a hoot.

What games do you find yourself going back to and / or what games surprised you with features or functions you didn't expect?

Last edited by jasontgarrett on Fri May 04, 2018 1:35 am; edited 2 times in total
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2018 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microvision was my first handheld (which I still have, and still works!) and I never seem to tire of playing the Blockbuster game. Still the best handheld Blockbuster I've played, for several reason but one being that you can control the speed of the paddle (thinks to an actual potentiometer for a knob). Games like the Bandai Block and several others just have a left and right button (even thought the Bandai one looks like a knob, it isn't), so the paddle moves at one speed. If the ball has passed the paddle, you can't catch up with it.

Entex Pac-Man I still believe is the best (i.e., most accurate to the arcade game) handheld Pac-Man. I still play that one until my fingers hurt whenever I get it out...

Wow factor- Bandai's VFD Hyper Olympic Challenge 5. The game is just a HELL OF A LOT OF FUN to play! I never really got into the Track & Field arcade game that it's basically modeled after, but if you were one of those that loved power-mashing those two buttons, you will love this handheld. It plays exactly like that. I played it once just to see how it worked and just couldn't stop... I was completely surprised at how much fun I was having. I stupidly sold my loose one (and my MIB one is know in a museum), so I need to get another loose one just for playing with...

Gakken Dig Dug is a lot of fun too... For fans of the arcade, some good replayability there. If you like Zackman, you'll probably like Dig Dug as well.
NE146
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had Hyper Olympic Challenge 5 as a kid and I agree it is one of the best arcade to vfd handheld ports around. preserving the 2 player competitive action in a little form factor. the only event missing is the hammer throw, which is an impressive feat all around for the time.

I also agree with Star Force.. but for me the "wow" factor would be Epoch Astro Thunder 7. I was always blown away by the pseudo-3D scrolling and the sounds. Even watching a youtube video of it looks great, which is pretty good for an old VFD handheld. Smile

As for replayability.. when I think about it I always have to go with G&W Donkey Kong Jr. I love that game and have been playing it for decades at this point.. that's gotta mean it's replayable. lol
TokyoBatman
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forum. This is a great post. Unfortunately, space is limited in Tokyo so I don't have room for table tops.
I hope that changes down the road.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on smaller handhelds outside of Tiger. I have a few of those that I think are great, Ninja Fighter and Mega Man 3, but I'm interested in branching out to other makers.

Any suggestions?
blanka
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2018 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My top 5 is:
Epoch Astro Thunder 7
Bandai Burger Time
Gakken Amidar
Parker Q*bert
Gakken Crazy Kong (best Donkey kong VFD game)
Really love to play these.
Honnorable mentions:
Bandai Zaxxon
Gakken Dig Dug
Bandai Zackman
Bandai Frisky Tom
Entex Galaxian 2

And EVEN in Tokyo there's space for a single Astro Thunder 7. I got it in Osaka and I was able to fit it boxed in my luggage.
Tartfox
Kenner Red Line

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2018 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For replayability, Parker Bros. Q*Bert tabletop is an excellent example. It's a fun game that requires strategy, and as far as I know it won't 'Game Over' on you once you hit a specific score so you can continue playing in order to get the best score possible.

Bandai's Frisky Tom also has great replayability due to the random nature of the mice/rats, and the wow factor comes from the graphical design- I love how the water looks as it flows through the pipes, it's somewhat mesmerizing.

Sadly, my Q*bert no longer turns on, changing out the batteries and flicking the switch to either 'On' or 'Mute' doesn't help, the screen remains blank and there's no audio output. If anyone has a solution on how to fix this, please let me know. Sad
blanka
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess it is fixable. Probably blown transistor or so. Where are you located?
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I always check the 'fuses' first. Smile
(The transistors). They're cheap, just replace them all and see what happens.

Check for obvious stuff first tho- loose/broken wire, crack in the circuit board, stuff like that.
Tartfox
Kenner Red Line

PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

blanka wrote:
Guess it is fixable. Probably blown transistor or so. Where are you located?

USA

Rik wrote:
Yeah, I always check the 'fuses' first. Smile
(The transistors). They're cheap, just replace them all and see what happens.

Check for obvious stuff first tho- loose/broken wire, crack in the circuit board, stuff like that.

I'll see what I can do. Smile
TokyoBatman
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Thanks for the recommendations. I'm happy to say that I have a cib Grandstand Firefox F-7 coming to me.

Are there any differences between the epoch astro thunder 7 or other variations than just name and boxing?

Thanks!
blanka
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No differences. Enjoy it!
TokyoBatman
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

I just received my new Grandstand Firefox F-7. It looks great. Unfortunately when I put batteries in, it doesn't do anything. I've cleaned the contacts and everything.

I don't have an adapter to check if it works plugged into the wall.

Is this a common problem and/or easy fix? Or should I try to get a refund?

Thanks!
blanka
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Always try an adapter first. I convert old phone chargers for my games. Just buy a hand full of EJAJ03 plugs and solder them to your old pre-micro-usb chargers. 5V is perfect for these games.
mndn
Microvision

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had TOMY Caveman as a kid and I played it A LOT. It's still one of my favourite games of the table tops. All the Tomy games were better in playability than the very wanted Coleco games, IMHO.
Also, I loved Gakken Soccer (LCD Game) and G&W Chef and Parachute.
Also remenber playing some Epoch Tarzan handheld.

When I started collecting these about 15 years ago I got Tomy Mr GO on ebay (cant believe how popular and expensive it is now) and I was really suprised by the superb gameplay! Still is fun today, this one has aged very well. Very colorful and fast, great sound and special features.

Honorable mentions must include Bandai Frisky Tom, Lupin, Entex Defender. I'm really surprised at some of your favourites Wink
Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: