The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
A Simon Keychain Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mp41
Tomy Blip

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:09 pm    Post subject: A Simon Keychain Question Reply with quote

I recently bought the now discontinued Simon Keychain (without packaging) and wanted to change the batteries in it since I'm sure they're really old as this keychain was released in 2000.

Upon opening the game the top pieces all fell out, but I couldn't exactly get to the batteries. The green board seems to be soldered or glued into place and I'm unable to replace the old batteries in it. I was wondering if anyone on here had this keychain and was able to successfully change the batteries. I would love to keep this keychain, but really I bought it to play with not to stare at.

It's a long story of why I'd rather have the keychain over the real game, but long story short a friend of mine had one in school and I never could find one during that time. So I have some rather fond memories of playing with their keychain in between classes. And now that I have my own I'd like to actually be able to play with it.

Any help? Suggestions? I've looked all over the place and really couldn't find much mention of this keychain, which is weird because who doesn't love a keychain you can actually play with.
radiorob1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you ever get your batteries changed?
drichardson
Mattel Football

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble with keychain toys is that they're usually designed to be novelties and not toys.

I don't imagine the designers ever expected the user would have the unit long enough to wear the batteries down -- or expect the owner to actually play with the unit more than a day or two.

While I've never replaced the batteries in your particular toy, in my experience, a hairdrier set on low should soften the glue enough to remove the board. I'd to use the corner of a credit card to pry it free.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another good example of that is the electronic toys (of any kind) given out by fast food restaurants like McDonald's. They have batteries pre-installed, and the same kind of triangle-shaped screws that Mattel used on the old Football, etc games. They don't _want_ you to open it and replace the batteries. It's meant to be thrown away when they die.

Even if you do get the screws out, getting to the battery can still be a pain...

I have one of these Simon's somewhere, and always meant to look into removing the battery, but I've never 're-found' it (lost in storage... Rolling Eyes )

Rik
bomberpunk
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was in a Borders bookstore the other day and they had a mini version of Simon (as well as Bop It and one or two other games), but I left it on the shelf because it was advertised as having "limited gameplay". My brain is too advanced for limited play. Wink

it was basically this with slightly different packaging.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: