The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Don't you hate it when...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spacemonsterviras
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:20 pm    Post subject: Don't you hate it when... Reply with quote

...you don't bid on an auction because you expect it to blow out to a stupidly high amount, and it goes for a stupidly low amount? I missed out on a boxed Crazy Monster this morning - the lucky winner bid only GBP 4.99.

On the other hand, I just won a boxed Entex Stargate for US $19.99. Yessss! Though the shipping will probably cost twice as much again. Crying or Very sad
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's part of why I kind of hate looking at closed auctions that people bid on (but can't stop myself from doing it). I keep thinking 'How did I miss THAT ONE!!!' (See Dan's avatar... Smile )

Oh well, back when I started this I used to scour Ebay on an hourly basis practically (kind of a perk of my job back then, I could surf the 'net while working quite easily). I'm lucky to get, thorough search in once a day now, and even then I usually don't hit the international parts of Ebay like I used to...

Oh well... Confused
Linda
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tell me about it. When I first started collecting (2003) I would keep a list of times under my alarm clock. 2:15am, 4:00am, 5:30am etc. I would wake up, bid on the auction, and set my clock for the next one. I even set up a separate id for my friends to use when I was unable to get to a computer. Once I even outbid myself using that alternate ID. Embarassed

After breaking my ebay addiction I have no regrets. I have a wonderful collection and my friends only tease me a little bit. I ended up with some great buys, learned important foreign words like "Spiel" and "jeu electronique", but I don't have time to do that type of leg work anymore.
I think it was ebay adrenaline keeping me going. Forget that.

I guess I'll just have to pay the premium when other collectors find them and resell them at sky high prices.

Linda
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that sounds like my life when I started back in 2001... I remember setting my alarm for all hours of the night and having 3 browsers open: One to refresh the auction every 5 seconds, one with my 'high' bid just waiting on the 'confirm bid' button, and then occasionally a 'ridiculously high bid' in the 3rd just in case I got outbid with 10 seconds left in the auction and I wasn't going to let it go without a fight! (Thank god for the automatic bidding websites/programs! You still can't make that last minute 'even higher' bid, but in the long run that's probably saved me a lot of money that I need... Mr. Green )

I even outbid myself on something a while back when I used to use 2 Ebay IDs... (I think that cost me like $150 or something... Rolling Eyes )

Learning spiel, jeu and LSIゲーム (LSI Game in Japanese if that's not showing up on everyone's computer).

I almost get more tips on Ebay auctions from fellow collectors (when they don't want the game in question) than I find myself these days... (Thanks everyone!)

I'm glad to hear I'm not the only who has lived a life of handheld games and Ebay (and is on a first-name basis with the postal carrier...).

Last edited by Rik on Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
spacemonsterviras
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rik wrote:
Oh well, back when I started this I used to scour Ebay on an hourly basis practically (kind of a perk of my job back then, I could surf the 'net while working quite easily).

You've just described an average day in my life. I'm a software developer, so if anybody were to ask I can say it's research. Laughing

It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one obsessed enough to wake up in the small hours to bid, though I've only done it two or three times. It's slowing somewhat, thankfully, now that I have most of the common games. Time to start saving for that boxed Rosy or Entex Crazy Climber...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: