The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Games that are not Hand Held Friendly

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LLB9977
Microvision

PostPosted: Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:20 pm    Post subject: Games that are not Hand Held Friendly Reply with quote

Anybody own a handheld game that is so awkward in its layout, shape or design that it is almost unplayable? For instance i have a boxed Ufo Invaders/ Breakout by R.E.L. (probably one of the millions of names it came out under) that i literally need a third hand to play. I find it pretty much unplayable which is a shame because its not often you see an LED Breakout game.

cheers Very Happy
That80sGuy
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think some games that were sold as 'hand held' were better played by setting them down on a flat surface. I think some of the design was dictated by the size of the board layouts and available components.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, there's definitely 'hand held' and 'table top'... The Adventure Vision is a testament to that! Mr. Green

But, take a look at this game:
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Misc/RamtexSpaceInvadersBB.htm
(The one the original poster is talking about.) It's definitely meant to be put on a table (it even has a piece of plastic that slides out on the bottom to keep it in that 'rocked' position. But holding it with both hands so you can press the left/right buttons doesn't leave an easy finger to press down on the red button on top. I never really realized how badly this game was designed. The only thing I can think of is they thought you could grip the game with one hand (thumb on the Rt button, forefinger on the Lt button) and use your other hand to fire? But pressing one button would probably cause you squeeze them both...

They should have put the fire button on the front...

Makes you wonder how kids figured out how to play it. Cool

I can't think of any others that are that awkward to play.
blanka
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only know one that SEEMS awkward to play.
Heiankyo Alien! If you buy this Japanese boxed, you will think it is broken and open the game 3 times to check whether the buttons still work.
Until you read Riks item here that you have to WAIT a few seconds before a hole is dug.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: