The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Coleco Frogger

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JoePal
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Coleco Frogger Reply with quote

does anyone know that this Coleco tabletop comes in 3 different variations (decals, gameplay and clamshell) .. and i am speaking of the COLECO version - not any other random tabletops made by different companies..
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember you informed me about the fact that the shell is a different shape than all the others (which is easily verified when they are all sitting in a row). Someone (was that you?) recently send me Emails about the green top vs black top stickers... I have a pic of that to add to the website.

I wasn't aware of gameplay differences though, what's up with that?

Rik
Goldie
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. I remember seeing somewhere what was mentioned to be a protype of a coleco game in the colour you are displaying. As in your site, it was the Donkey Kong JR. My understanding is they never released it. Did they actually have a version that anyone owns??
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was never released in that body style, only the Nintendo G&W version. The only one they made like that was a non-functioning mock-up for photographs (like the Omega Chase and Berzerk games).

JoePal made his own custom DK Jr game... Mr. Green
JoePal
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<-- see my avatar for the Donkey Kong JR prototype game.. heh Yessss!

anyway.. here's the info i gathered by checking the Frogger tabletop variations. there are 3 different Coleco Frogger tabletops. one comes with a "black background" decal on the top and another one comes with a "green background with black border" decal.. both of them have DIFFERENT gameplays! here's the list below about the differences in between the Black & Green decals:

BEZEL ART:

Black - comes with print "1981 Sega Industries Inc. 1982 Coleco Industries Inc."
Green - minus the "1982 Coleco Industries Inc." print.

FROGGER'S FACIAL EXPRESSION SPRITES:

Black - when Frogger hops from one place to another, he has a smile and an O-shaped mouth sprites.
Green - Frogger has a smile on every sprite in the game.

FROGGER'S SPRITE COLOR:

Black - green sprite all the way.
Green - green sprite at bottom starting point, purple on the road, green on the water.

CARS SPRITE COLOR & SIZE:

Black - on the 2nd row, cars are blue. they have big tires with thick outline around the cars.
Green - on the 2nd row, cars are brown. they have tiny tires with thin outline around the cars.

TURTLES SPRITE COLOR & GAMEPLAY:

Black - Bluish-green, they random do sink into the water.
Green - Red, they NEVER sink into the water!

Overall, the Black decal version has a faster gameplay than the Green decal version. from what i have observed.. the Green decal's gameplay is a lot easier - i don't really know why Coleco made 2 different versions of this game..... as for the 3rd variant of the Frogger tabletop.. take a close look of the Frogger box where the game came with. the clamshell is similiar to the Pac-Man, Galaxian, Donkey Kong's because of the bigger control panel. the true Frogger tabletop comes with a smaller control panel due to a bigger monitor for gameplay. i believe this "box pic" version does not exist, only a photo mockup like the Donkey Kong Jr prototype (also uses the true Frogger's small control panel clamshell!)
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks like a possible variation on the bezel/top combo:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8255728038

Look like a green top, but with both copyrights on the bezel art...

MORE INFO:
Okay, now that you have me looking, I have actually found several green-topped Froggers that have a display that matches your black-top description. So, you can't just go by the sticker to determine which game you are looking at (although it seems that all black-topped Froggers are the same).

Finally found an old Ebay auction with the green-top display you are referring to:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8255661551

If you look at the display, you will notice that everything in the water is red... So I guess that's the variation I have to find now... Mr. Green
blue6demon
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just bought a green top version, but i don't have any sound... is this normal, because once opened i saw that there were no brass kinda speaker ! And no loose wire...

I'm puzzled...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: