The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Thrift shops and Flea markets

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vcoleiro1
Tiger Jawbreaker

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 3:04 pm    Post subject: Thrift shops and Flea markets Reply with quote

Just wanted to post about my experience in finding handhelds at Flea markets (Trash and Treasures) and Thrift shops in Melbourne Australia.

As for Flea markets (Trash and Treasures as we call them) , I rarely find 80's electronic games at these . It seems to have all but completely dried up . It's not uncommon to go to a market and find only one item in the whole market and even then the guy wants a bizzillion dollars. I get the feelling it's a different story in the US and other parts of the world, perhaps we can open this up as a discussion where everyone could mention what it's like in there part of the world.

Ok , now for Thrift shops, this is where it gets really sad. I have worked as a volunteer at a Salvation Army thrift store for 2 years sorting all the items that get donated. So all the donated stuff comes thru me. In all that 2 years only once has an 80's electronic game come through - it was a Tomy Turbo Racing. Once in 2 years. Now this is a fair size Salvo's thrift shop that gets a lot of donations comparitively. Not only that I regulalry check out other thrift shops and have never seen a retro handheld there. It's as bone dry as it gets - slim pickings indeed. The only retro gaming stuff we do get in is once every 6 weeks or so someone will donate a console like a dream cast , Atari or PS with games, but strangely not electronic 80's handhelds.

Whats the situation like in other countries and regions , Im keen to know what it's like in other people regions?
GameWatchGuy
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
When I lived in Texas there was almost no antique or retro items but here in Tennessee and were I'm originally from you find tons. Lots of goodies to be found at many Fleamarkets but not too much at the Thrift stores. I don't see a whole lot of handheld games but I'm usually searching for watches. I find very few digital watches but mostly analog watches.

Last year I found a Dukes of Hazzard calculator watch (mail in) which the guy wanted $30 bucks for. It was in bad condition and wasn't currently on. I didn't buy it.

A guy down the road from me in Maryville has a few of table tops. He's had em for a while. A Qbert, Donkey-Kong and I can't remember the last one. He wants about 90-120 for em'.

I found a few led watches but they usually never work.

When I ask the watch guys if they have any digital watches they usually look at me funny, like who collects those. Really nice people though.

There's about a million antique stores here. I've barely touched the iceberg on those, but still mostly dial watches like an old Mickey Mouse.

I think ebay is just the best thing for collectors now a days. I don't think some collections would be possible to own without ebay.

~John
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Experiences in CA (and the Houston, TX area when I lived there) can vary quite a bit. What I've discovered about flea markets (sometimes called swap meets as well) is you have to find the right kind (or at least, the right section of them). Some of them are almost entirely people selling bulk new items. These people make a business out of flea markets.

Now, the few that I frequent now (and a few I remember in TX) tend to have two sections: The big, dealer-style areas, and then areas with non-dealers (like someone that just has a garage full of crap and brings it out). These are the ones you want to find. Some of the best ones have people that will bring huge trucks full of stuff, and nothing is really 'set up' on display. You have to dive into the truck and dig around for a while. Cool Nothing is priced, and in all likelihood, the guy has no idea what all is in there... And prices are always reasonable.

It's definitely getting harder and harder to find these kinds of flea markets, and when you do find them, you can watch (over the course of years) them slowly change to have more of the large, repeat dealers that just sell new stuff... (Usually generic brand or brand knock-offs of clothing, jewelry and electronics.)

Thrift stores of any known 'brand' haven't had anything of real interest forsale that I've found in nearly 10 years (that's Goodwill, Salvation Army, etc...) Mom & Pop thrift stores can provide better results, but I still rarely find anything older than an Xbox in any of them...

If you know an area of town that might feature 'antique stores', check them out. Especially the dusty ones with piles of stuff all over... You never know what you will find in those... And even if nothing you want, they tend to be very interesting to walk through. Mr. Green

I've also noticed (at least a few years ago) that antique and toy-collecting market places seem to completely skip the 80s... Confused There will be lots of 70's and older, then action figures, toys and Hot Wheels type cars from the 90's and newer... Finding any quantity of handheld electronic games does seem to be unusually rare for some reason... Even things like Atari 2600, Intellivision, stuff like that never seems to hit the 'antique markets'. But, of course, Nintendo Game Boys are fine... Rolling Eyes
kisember
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Hungary:

There is no such thing that garage sale.

I belive there is not even such thing as thrift stores but second hands chlotes only. The goods came from different country as it sounds somewhat better. Most of ther customers are women so some of them sells second hands toys to let them buy for their children to shut them up Wink while their mother are browsing. My mother managed to buy an lcd game already but I believe it was made about 2000.

AFAIK there is one 'big' flee market at the capital city. As I heard most of the sellers are 'professionals' selling trash, I belive they get it by buying whole legacies.
On the flee market in my city which is a size of a rest room there are just a few old women selling trash (yep, might be treasure for someone), mostly clothes, some toys (barbie like or action figures), and some electronic stuff like old (but invaluable) radios, cellphones, casette players. I've found only a nintendo donkey kong jr in terrible shape in the last few years.

The best sources are the local auction sites but people here have different mind then people at US. People here doesn't really willing to sell something less then they bought for. And for retro stuff, they certanly rare so it even increase its value. Many people found too complicated to use auction sites as they requires to create an account set the bank information, fill forms... Also, people doesn't willing to sell something for $1, actually, they wouldn't do anything for such a low price, as they couldn't get any reasonable thing for that price (because nobody sells for such price, remember?). That means most of the lcd games goes to the bin (as they couldn't get a real price for it), or in the rare case it ends at the auction site, it usually has ten times of ebay price.
blue6demon
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here in Eastern Canada (Quebec) in the big cities you'll find as some of you said, new stuff in bulk. But if you go on the country side, that's where we find real treasures. I have about 6 of them that i do periodically in the summer, but i have to travel a lot, takes half a day ! And i do it because the wife enjoys it, i may have found 10 games max this way...

Pat
Eggie
Tiger Jawbreaker

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard to find here in The Netherlands. I did it for years but i only found a few items. So it was easyer to buy on Internet.
GameWatchGuy
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
I think I'm gonna go to the Maryville indoor FM today.
I'll snap some pics of the 3 tabletops the guy has if he's open. He has been closed a couple months on a long vacation. He said he was burnt out a little.

~John
GameWatchGuy
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
Found these last weekend...
Good deal?

~John[/img]
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GameWatchGuy wrote:
Hi.
Found these last weekend...
Good deal?
~John

No, not in the condition they are in... I'd say about half of what's written on them, 60% at most. Looks like all of the stickers on DK are trashed or missing (that says $90, not $40, right?), DK Jr has all the paint worn off around the joystick. Q*Bert doesn't look too bad, but you can get a boxed one on eBay for around $100 pretty easily...

Can't really go wrong with one-buck Tigers tho. Mr. Green
GameWatchGuy
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rik wrote:

No, not in the condition they are in... I'd say about half of what's written on them, 60% at most. Looks like all of the stickers on DK are trashed or missing (that says $90, not $40, right?), DK Jr has all the paint worn off around the joystick. Q*Bert doesn't look too bad, but you can get a boxed one on eBay for around $100 pretty easily...
Can't really go wrong with one-buck Tigers tho. Mr. Green

Thanks Rik. Maybe I'll low ball him next time I see him...lol
~John
blanka
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Q*bert misses side and top stickers too. I would say 30$ each. You can get them loose for 40-50 with all stickers in complete condition (at most with some bumps or slight loose curls).
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

blanka wrote:
The Q*bert misses side and top stickers too. I would say 30$ each. You can get them loose for 40-50 with all stickers in complete condition (at most with some bumps or slight loose curls).

Oops, he's right... Missed that... And the stickers that are there look fairly worn...

Yeah, you can definitely get better looking ones much cheaper on eBay and such...
Panic Button
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, hold out for less worn out examples on ebay. They're all fairly common games. Those look awful!
GameWatchGuy
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
I went to the booth yesterday. The lady wasn't happy with business as usual. I really wanted to buy something from her just to give her a little business... ever feel that way. Anyways, I didn't make an offer cause I didn't want to make an offer too low. Thanks for letting me know the value.

~John
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: