The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
The "That is still a playable game" thread

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jamtex
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 9:23 pm    Post subject: The "That is still a playable game" thread Reply with quote

On the face of it most electronic games are pretty shallow and do not really offer much more then a couple of minutes play before you get bored of them or they are too easy that it more a challenge to try to clock them before you lose lives and for a number of games that is too easy.

I used to love Puck Monster when I was a kid, but today it is too easy and you should be able to play it on the hardest setting getting a perfect score without losing a single life. Hell once I have seen the level, I can complete the level without looking again at the screen.

There are really only a few games I have that I could play multiple times wihtout getting bored...

Mario Bros - Nintendo
Although the game is samey and I can't really play more then one game at a time, I will play it as a challenge as it does test you hand, eye, memory and brain cordination. Saying that most G&W games are shallow as most are left / right affairs seems to contradict me choosing Mario Bros, but the thing that saves it are the two characters so it is more then just moving left / right. Although Game A is unchallenging, Game B is a challenge and I struggle to really get more then 700 points and even getting 300 points without losing a life to get double points is a challenge.

Wheelie Crosser - Tomy (Aka BMX Flyer - Grandstand)
I have played all the Tomy backlit colour LCD games and I do think BMX Flyer is the only one that really offers anything in terms of a real challenge, the first couple of levels are quite tame but after that it does get very challenging. The complete randomness of the levels means that that no two games are the same.

Hmmm, that is all I can think of at the moment... So what games do you think have stood the test of time and are still playable now?
GameWatchGuy
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
As for NES. There's a bunch that I like that I can play over and over.

Punch-Out
Zelda
All of the SuperMario's
Contra!
Ikari WArriors
RC ProAM
Balloon fight (add beer)

That's all I can think of at the moment.
As for LCD games, probably none. It's all about the novelty and nostalgia I guess.
A few fun Atari 2600. I really like to replay Qbert, Ms Pacman, and Frogger.

PS. Add beer to those too...lol
~John
blanka
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the donkey kong clones: crazy kong, draculajoh and kingman. All three cool and a big challenge.
Amidar is awesome, it is better than the arcade version in all aspects.
Another favourite is Astro Thunder 7. At first sight it is a weird boring game. But it really requires some serious training to get through all 6 stages just once.
Jethro
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Game & Watch CLIMBER (Crystal Screen or New Wide Screen is the same thing, I have them both Smile) is my favourite vintage handheld of all time.

Another that I really like is the tabletop of Entex SUPER COBRA. Its graphics are amazing thanks to the VFD display and his gameplay has nothing inferior to that the arcade machine, certainly superior to contemporary versions for VCS2600 and Intellivision.

Below some links to videos that I shot of these video games:

Playing Climber --> http://youtu.be/_QeUsqDeclA
Screen test and gameplay of Super Cobra --> http://youtu.be/VSU67FSYShY

Others between my favorites are the Game & Watch DONKEY KONG Multi Screen (the orange one) and the Tandy/Bandai/Mattel BURGER TIME.

Playing Donkey Kong --> http://youtu.be/G0FQMJ56Ikc

(Sorry for my bad english)
bomberpunk
Gakken Dig Dug

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me there are quite a few handhelds i still get a kick out of.

on the top of that list is Double Dragon II (Tiger). it's just fun. there's a lot of satisfaction in jumpkicking the big guy in the face and watching his head thrash backward. two of the stages have (albeit minor) platforming elements. in the last stage the enemy doppelganger can posses you.

another favorite is Tron (Tomy). i used to be quite good at it back in the day and roll the score (achieve several bars). the light cycle section is great and i love the fact that i can kill Sark with a frisbee. impressive boss screen too.

i also love the challenge of the underwater section in TMNT (Konami), although the sewer/Mouser section can get boring.

i could go on for days with this post, but i won't.
blue6demon
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still enjoy Coleco's Alien Attack fast action it's really fun, special mention to their Ms. PacMan.
I also agree with Tron ! Must have been a pain to program Smile
Entex Galaxian2 is also very fun.
I enjoy a lot Epoch's Galaxy II, it has different levels, very nice.

Those i enjoy when i play alone, sometimes my 18 year old wants to compete the old school way, Coleco Total Control 4 is one we really enjoy, also the Entex Hockey.

Pat
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: