The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
dial up modem questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GameHoarder
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: dial up modem questions Reply with quote

I figured that I might find some answers for my questions in this forum as there are many computer wise people that are members here.

I live "out in the sticks", so FAR OUT, that my phone company can't provide high speed dial up internet service. So I'm left with regular dial up over the phone line as I'm NOT interested in a dish set up as I have no other need for a satellite connection.

I had been using V.90 and V.92 56k external modems connected through a serial port to my old IBM 300PL computer and they seemed and still seem to work o.k. for me.

That old computer was working until a few months back, but the mother board went bad with a logic error.

I have a "newer" computer now, a refurbished IBM 8189G1U with a pentium 4 CPU running Win XP Pro. I have it connected the same way through the serial port.

What my main question is, what are the TYPES of external modems that will work for me besides the v90 and V.92 56K modems that I have been using that are a small box with lights and power supply?

I see that there are many external modems for sale on eBay with many different "numbers" and such that will connect via the serial port or USB ports on a computer.

I would also like to know what external modems that one might find for sale on eBay these days will work with regular dial up. I would like to make a list of what to look for as back ups even if I find a better modem type to replace what I have been using. I'm looking to have a few back up modems ready for when the ones I use crap out as a couple have done in the past so they can be older models as long as they will work in a pinch. The modems I have been using seem to wear out after a few years.

I'm also interested in knowing if there are any INTERNAL or USB connected external modems that will work WELL on the IBM 8189 with the type of connection I have.

Anyone with any information for my questions?
blanka
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also no mobile phone coverage? Even the crappiest plan on that should outperform landline with dial up.
GameHoarder
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also happen to live in one of the "mobile phone dead zones". Even if I could get a signal, I have never had a cell phone and I'm not interested in such toys as I have little use for them.

When I bought my property 30 years ago I wanted land that was in the "wilderness", yet close to "civilization". That is what I have. There are two small towns/villages that are about 10 miles away from me, one to the south and one to the North/East. The larger towns are about 35 miles from me in much the same directions. The closest cities are far far away. There are no direct roads to any of the larger roads. If someone wants to visit me they have to know just how to get here or they will get lost even with the best directions. It is a little easier for people to find me these days as they discontinued the Rural Routes about 12 years ago and put up street signs and gave all properties with people living on them a “so called 911 emergency street address”. It took a few years before the UPS, Fedex and other such package services could find me.

I'm lucky that I have land line phone service and electric power lines running to the area I live in. When I first bought my property I could hear other people talking on my phone line when it rained as the connections would cross over. The phone company ran new lines about 12 years ago and updated the other connections along the way. I had the electrical service updated from 110 to 220 and the place had one of those old hand pumps for water.

The road that goes by my property was so narrow that you had to slow down to a snails pace to try and get by when you met another vehicle. They have made it wider over the years by adding “pit run gravel” (rocks and all) and shoving it off to the side with a road grader. People that got close to the edge of the road where it was wet would get stuck as it was soft. The road is much better now as it's a bit wider and you just have to watch for the rocks and basket ball sized rocks that pop up in the spring and the road grader shoves around the road as they grade it toward the center.

I still call it paradise Wink
GameHoarder
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a modem expert, problem solved.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: