The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
This listing was ended by the seller because the item is....

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GameHoarder
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:59 pm    Post subject: This listing was ended by the seller because the item is.... Reply with quote

"This listing was ended by the seller because the item is no longer available"

I bid on and buy items on eBay other then just video game related items as I collect many things and also buy things for friends and such now and then. I say this as I find this same practice in all of the categories of things I collect and buy as well as items that I just browse to see what is for sale on eBay.

I have noticed that more and more sellers are setting up "fishing auctions" to try and see what they can catch. Most times it seems that they do it so that their auction is at the top of the listings when set to lowest price and shipping first as they will have a low start and free or very cheap S&H. I suppose what ever they think looks like the best BAIT for what they are fishing for.

Some auctions get bids and run for many days before the seller cancels all bids and ends the auction and then most times they re-list it again in much the same manner, or they will set it up with a Buy It Now Best Offer at a very HIGH start price with Shipping and Handling that is reasonable to pricy.

MOST times it is BIGGER sellers with stores or smaller sellers that sell mostly "pricy things" like silver, gold and such. I see the sellers of DVDs and other media doing it all the more these days.

I started this discussion to see what others think of this practice. I feel that it is being abused and wastes the time of buyers.

I also think twice on dealing with such sellers because I wonder what "other tricks" they may have up their sleeves for their buyers" as looking at feedback is not always a good indicator of the REAL world of eBay Wink
nicknicknickandnick
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've encountered that message a few times. It inevitably leaves me with a feeling that something is fishy, one way or another.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The funniest thing to me is when they re-list items of an ended BIN auction at a HIGHER price... I mean, what the hell? If no one bought it for your $49.99 BIN, do you think they will pay the $100 BIN you just re-listed it at??? (That seriously just happened... Something I wanted was $49.99, and I forgot about it and the auction ended with no buyers... Shortly there after it was re-listed, so I though cool, I can get it now. Go to the auction, and it's $100...?? I don't even see the logic in that.)

There was another case where someone was listing something for $150 for MONTHS (this is back when eBay only 7-day listings, so he had to manually re-list it every week). He re-listed with a stock photo repeatedly, and I repeatedly asked him for an actual picture of the item. After nearly 6 months of this, he finally sent me a picture of the item. I confirmed what I needed to confirm from the photos, and was all ready to buy it. The next time he listed it, he listed it for $250... WTF? He kept it at $250 for another few months, and then just stopped listing it...

I think the problem is simply that eBay doesn't require an IQ test to sign up... Cool
joke account
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem here is that eBay now restrict completed listing searches to 15 days - you used to be able search a lot further back.

so if you have a scarce item that doesn't turn up often and want an idea of what its worth your stuffed.
GameHoarder
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I have seen of the practice of ending auctions early. It seems that it is mostly done so that a seller can get their "bait" at the top of the lowest price and shipping search and get people to look at other items they have for sale. I say this as most all of the time, they only have the ONE "bait auction" and the rest of their items are priced like a store. NO other "deals".

As for searching for eBay ended and completed auctions and BINS. I have learned that if you use GOOGLE, you can SEE old eBay auctions that ended MANY months back. Sometimes you can go from that page and go through eBay as normal. If you try and put the ended auction number for a auction you find through GOOGLE into the eBay search, you will not find it. Just something I learned. Must be a "back door" into the hidden world of eBay.
GameHoarder
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a great example of this "practice"

Here is the ended early auction with 2 bids canceled.

Here is the relisted auction.

I noticed from a little research that the seller does this a bit.

The seller is missing out on the last second bidders as many times that's when the serious bids are placed. Some serious bidders get WISE and don't bother with the relisted item.

I have been watching game auctions in the past that started at .99 and had bids in up to around $5.00 or so in the last few minutes waiting with my max reserve bid ready and I would be the high bidder for a second or so at about $30.00 and the auction would end in the hundreds Shocked

Sure it's a GAMBLE for a seller to "take a chance" that the auction might end on a lower amount then they would like, but they also miss out on the serious "snipe bidders" that "may be" watching ready to push the bid button in the last few seconds.

I have won auctions with 3 seconds left before my bid got in. With my slow dial up connection I have to place a bid about 13 seconds before the auction ends as some times it won't make it through in time and the auction ends with me out. I have missed a few nice auctions that ended far below what I was willing to bid.
joke account
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GameHoarder wrote:

I have won auctions with 3 seconds left before my bid got in. With my slow dial up connection I have to place a bid about 13 seconds before the auction ends as some times it won't make it through in time and the auction ends with me out. I have missed a few nice auctions that ended far below what I was willing to bid.

I normally use gixen.com, which automaticly snipes on your behalf at the last second. You have to trust the site with your ebay username and password but I have never had any problems. Very handy for auctions from another country that end at silly o'clock in the morning.
GameHoarder
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't bothered with any of the bid sniping services for a few reasons.

One is that I don't like the idea of them having my personal information. It is bad enough with the information that eBay and PayPal have on me. Another is that they like credit cards most of the time and I don't use credit cards. I understand that many might take PayPal as payment these days as I have paid for items on other non eBay sites with PayPal. Also I would rather keep a better eye on just what I'm winning and not.

And the best reason is that I bid on most of the items I buy as a hobby and something interesting to do and enjoy the hunt for more items that I really don't need and waiting for the last few seconds to see if I get a "kill".

I have had times when a bid service would of been nice. Such as I was busy elsewhere when a auction ended or there were so many auctions in a row ending within seconds and minutes of each other that there was no way that I could get bids in on all. I used to bid on and win many game auctions in a row and would miss a few as my computer was to slow to get all the bids in before the auctions ended. But then as I said, it's mostly items that I really don't need.

If I was a seller as well as a buyer of items I bid on. I would think about a bid service a bit more. But I like to keep things as simple as possible so I just buy and hoard mostly and sell a few things I don't want now and then if someone asks and I can find the items they are interested in.

I will do more selling of things I have that I want rid of later this year at local auctions and flea markets. The auctions for larger things that farmers and gardeners want and the flea markets are mostly a "fishing trip" to find collectors of items that I have box loads of that they can come and load their vehicles with at my place if we make a deal.

I did well on the flea markets in the past where I would find collectors and sellers that would come and fill their vehicles with what they viewed as treasures. I would sell them boxes of items that interested them at prices that they knew they could come out good on. I would do well as I ended up with most of what I would sell them for the price of my time and gas to haul it home

I won't be selling on eBay and the like as it is to much work and hassle at this time. I might at some future time when I want to sell off some of my personal collections. Or if I have the time and set up for selling some of the smaller items I have that I don't personally collect.

I have realized that I need to get rid of some things as I have so much that it gets in the way of my favorite things Wink
joke account
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gixen is free and no registration is needed.

Sniping stops sellers from shill bidding too.
Singer
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2014 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it goes the other way.

I saw a piece of artwork I wanted to buy, it was up for auction. I made a bid but did not meet the reserve price. The auction ended with no buyer.

I kept waiting for the seller to relist the item. He eventually did, with a buy now option that was lower than the price I had already bid. I bought it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: