The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Buy wow gold.................................just joking
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joke account
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Buy wow gold.................................just joking Reply with quote

Im not spam, honest Smile Just wanted to say hello etc.

Just started collecting LCD/LED handhelds/tabletops, but only have a few so far. I am cocentrating on Tiger handhelds for now as they seem to be cheapish and quite common.

I do want to pick up a couple from my childhood to start with as well - Nintendo Game and watch DK Jr, Squish and SMB should be easy as well as Namco's Pac Land.

However there is one I cant find any info or pics of ... maybe one of you guys can help...it's a pac man type, Tabletop probally LED was a pac man shape and had a short stiff metal joystick on the left hand side. Playing it for more than 10 mins and your thumb would fall off!

Any ideas?
nicknicknickandnick
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, hi there. This one has a metallic stick on the right side:
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Actronics/PackNMaze.htm
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Actronics/HungryPac2.htm
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the 'Pac-Man shaped game' part that's throwing me off... The only Pac-Man shaped game I know of is Tomy's:
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Tomy/PacMan.htm
But it's not joystick controlled... Gakken's Puck Monster is sort of shaped odd, and at least has a joystick:
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Gakken/Puck.htm
But it's on the right...
And of course Coleco's was Pac-Man _arcade_ shaped...
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Coleco/PacMan.htm
and has joysticks on both sides, but they aren't metal... Smile I just can't place it off the top of my head, assuming you are remembering all the details correctly... Most of the games I think of are right-handed.
joke account
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. It was almost like a 3d packman shape with its mouth open, yellow in colour. must be mega rare if nobody rembers it :-/

Also joystick may be a bad description - thumb stick may be more usefull.
GameHoarder
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I think of "joy stick on left side". A handheld controller or handheld game comes to mind. There are some rather large handheld games that are better played on a table Wink
joke account
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GameHoarder wrote:
When I think of "joy stick on left side". A handheld controller or handheld game comes to mind. There are some rather large handheld games that are better played on a table Wink

I'd like to see someone try and play this machine without a table - it would be quite a feat lol. too heave and nowhere to grip properly.

I'm gonna give google images another try. goodness knows how many pages id gone through.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see, what year (and where, UK?) would this have been released?

You mention LED, LED would have just been red dots like Mattel Football or something. Did it have color in the display, and things actually shaped like Pac-Man/Ghosts? Or was it all just plain dots?

Thumbstick sort of like this game has:
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Misc/EcstoyPacIII.htm

But on a really large game that wouldn't be practical to hold while playing, right? Any mechanical aspects to the game? (physical moving parts on the inside)

Still sounds like Tomy's except for the joystick part... Big, round yellow game shaped like Pac-Man with the controls in the 'opening of the mouth' basically.... In the UK it would have been Grandstand's Munchman.

If you can remember those details it might help narrow it down. (Heck, maybe just draw the thing if you can, that may help...)
joke account
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Def not muchman, that looks like somebody ran over poor Pac Sad

The joystick was very similer to this:

I believe the colours of the maze walls were blue but cant remember much else. In my defence it was the mid 80's...

I'm gonna ask around the net in some other places and see if I can get more info. I'll update as soon as I have more info.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, all the yellow case joysticked games I can think I've mentioned already... Razz Of course, the joysticks on all of them are on the right side... I've never seen a left-handed joystick game at all, that I can remember...

Did you buy it new? I almost wonder if someone crafty person might have made a custom body for an existing game! Razz

Definitely let us know if you can come up with more info... I'm really curious about this now. It'll probably be one of those 'Oh yeah, THAT game!' once we see what it is... Rolling Eyes
GameHoarder
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I think of a metal joystick I think Tandy, Radio Shack, Texas Instruments, old Apple computer PARTS.

I would agree that someone might of made the pacman game that we can't identify.

More information on the SIZE and design, as well as game play display would help in figuring out "what it was made of".

I have a collection of small TV sets with a few round ball shaped ones including a pacman TV set that is about the size of a basketball. The other round TV sets range from about 6 inches to about 16 inches. Most of the round TV sets have a base under them.

I have been collecting/hoarding electric and electronic items as well as toys and such for over 30 years and have a very interesting assortment of items and tools that could be used to make a round pacman tabletop game that could look as if it was made in a factory.

The BIG question now is: How BIG was it? Other questions are, where was the display mounted, at what angle/tilt, how big was the display screen, where was the joystick mounted on the unit, on a base below the 3D shape pacman or??????

P.S. Maybe we are looking for a yellow elephant that lived with a leprechaun at the end of the rainbow
Yessss!
joke account
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are gonna make me draw it, aren't you?

Anyway it was about the size of a small med melon (1/2 to 3/4 the size of a basket ball) The outside was shiny yellow.

The pic is 2d so you'll have to imagine it 3d

Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow, I wasn't picturing a full 3D 'Pac-Man' shape, just sort of a flat thing in the general shape of Pac-Man... (like the Tomy game)
Even more curious now... But I don't think I've ever seen anything like that, that I can remember...
GameHoarder
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sort of figured that it might look something like that from the descriptions I have put together so far in "my minds eye".

Next question is tracking down the display screen type.

Was it LED or LCD. If LED there are few to none, if LCD there are many.

Your "blue walls" comment makes me think it was a LCD game. As LED games are few and are lacking on COLOR.

Either way, the display and game play can be tracked down if the system was factory made or custom. I would think that the game play and display are to be found in the games we know of.

I have noticed when doing Google searches that YOU TUBE has many pacman and other game play videos. I myself can't watch anything on YOU TUBE as I have a "vintage dial up connection".

To help in tracking down the display screen. Was it "wide and short" or "thin and tall"? Which way did the rectangle run, as I doubt it was a squarish display like a CRT screen.
joke account
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wide and short. I'll trawl though YouTube tomorrow as well as asking on yahoo questions.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GameHoarder wrote:
Next question is tracking down the display screen type.

Was it LED or LCD. If LED there are few to none, if LCD there are many.

Your "blue walls" comment makes me think it was a LCD game. As LED games are few and are lacking on COLOR.

I'm thinking it was VFD, not LCD or LED. I'm not even sure how you'd do LED walls... But 'Blue walls' make it sound like a VFD game. Entex Pac-Man, any of the Hanzawa's, Gakken Puck Monster, even Tomy's Pac-Man all had blue walls...

But 'wide and short' seems to narrow it down to Tomy... Here's a close-up of Tomy's display, can you remember if it looked anything like this?

There's also a small handheld LCD game with the exact same display...
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Unknown/GrabMan.htm

These are the only ones I can think of that have a horizontal screen layout (vs an arcade-style vertical one). (But I might be forgetting something...)

It's very possible someone had this game and wanted to make it use a joystick like the arcade game, and built something custom... Or maybe it's just something we aren't thinking of for some reason... Cool

Pretending your memory could just be throwing you off, look at these two:
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Misc/EurosonicPuckiMonsters.htm
http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Misc/GoliathLuckyPucky.htm

I completely forgot about these two odd-ball Pac-Man clones. They don't really fit your description (other than joystick controlled), but the Goliath one is round, so you know, maybe it's close... Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: