The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
eBay magic, POOF it's gone

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GameHoarder
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:33 am    Post subject: eBay magic, POOF it's gone Reply with quote

I have had 3 auctions on my watched items list disappear without a trace in the last few days. One was for a 5 obsolete badge auction that was within the eBay rules for selling such items and the other 2 auctions were for snare drum heads that have no restrictions.

Now the badges may of been stolen or the like as the seller was a newer member within the last year with a few feed backs from buying.

The seller of the 2 drum head auctions had some feedback from buying and a few from selling. I didn't see anything wrong there as it seemed they were selling their unwanted heads that happens often with fussy drummers. From what I remember, they had been a eBay member for over a year or more.

Were not talking any BIG money on any of these items. The badge lot could sell in the $25.00 on up range including S&H. The drum heads run about $10.00 each or more for the ones I was watching.

I didn't remember the sellers names so I can't try and see what their status is.

I can understand that their might of been owner rights on the badge auction and it was the members first selling auction. But the drum head auction has me wondering just WHAT eBay is up to with their "tougher" RULES that they have been working on.

Anyone else have eBay auctions they were watching that seemed fine and no reason to suspect a "hijacked account" or such, go POOF lately?
joke account
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes a buyer will offer the seller a bin price via ebay messages and then a deal is done off ebay and the item is ended or the seller just decides to end item and keep it or because it got damaged. Lots of other reasons too.
GameHoarder
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No that didn't happen as there would still be a "record" of it on eBay.

I'm talking POOF,
gone,
as if it never was,
like a fart in a strong wind Wink
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's 'poofed', then there was either something outside of eBay rules in the auction, or the account itself might have been suspect (or the seller might be having problems, like not paying his eBay bill)... Can't think of any other practical reason they'd remove drum heads... Badges (like police/FBI badges and such) have very strict rules. You can't sell fake ones that look convincingly real at all (people have had X-Files prop FBI badges pulled frequently since I believe they used real badges that the FBI allowed the production to have. Comes up a lot with really convincing police/FBI/CIA movie prop credentials), and I think real ones have to be considered antiques (over a certain age). Legality of ownership doesn't matter, they just don't have the resources to investigate every listing in detail, so anything outside of a certain rule set just automatically gets deleted. And if they can't tell for sure, they err on the side of caution. If they were really within eBay's rules, the seller may re-list them with a more detailed explanation. If you collect things like that, everytime you see a listing of them, take a screen shot or write down the seller's name. If eBay yanks them, you can contact them directly and maybe work out a purchase that way. I do that for everything I'm interested in that I think eBay might have any kind of issue with.

As for rules, it could be as simple as posting a link in the auction, or using an image with text in it versus typing the text into eBay... Those are frequent things that cause eBay to yank stuff...

I just listed a bunch of handheld games, and some PSP promotional games... I have links to the Handheld Museum pages for the games at the bottom of my auctions (via the Handheldmuseum banner). eBay _may_ kill the auctions thinking I'm using them to send traffic to my site. They've contacted me about it in the past, and I have to keep assuring them that the links are providing more information about the items forsale (and identifying who I am), but they may still yank them and I'll have to relist... Links in auctions are against the rules unless they are specifically helping to promote the SALE, not the other way around...

The PSP games are all marked 'Promotional, not for resale'. Even though I bought everyone of them on eBay, they sometimes yank promo items like that...

And eBay will usually just pull the auctions and tell you why, rather than sending you a message saying you have 24 hours to change the listing or something... They just delete them.
GameHoarder
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been collecting badges for over 2 years now and I'm up on most of the rules and laws on buying, selling and having them. There are a few badges that are not to be sold on eBay and elsewhere. I know what most of those are. The 5 badges in the auction were o.k. to sell as they were obsolete with no VERO problems.

I have some from the same company already in my collection/hoard. Not to be a braggart, but I have well over 800 badges of many types and I'm getting close to 500 security and police patches. Most bought at bargain prices as that is what I look for. I have paid a bit for a few badges as I wanted them and learned that if I wanted to own them I had to pay a bit more. I still didn't over pay on those.

My guess on the reason that auction was pulled was that the badges didn't belong to the seller for some reason. The auction stayed active for many days and was to end yesterday around noon as it was in between 4 drum auctions I was watching. That's how I noticed it missing and went looking to see if it was ended early and didn't find a trace of it.

As for the drum heads, I would guess there was some "problem" between eBay and the seller over money and eBay pulled the auctions.

I just found it odd that with the new eBay policies that they have been sending emails on lately, that eBay might be getting a bit tougher on small and newer sellers as it is no secret that eBay treats the small sellers as unimportant to their great expansion dreams of being more like Amazon.com. I could tell you more on that, but it would just give most a headache.

I posted on it as I wanted to see if others had heard about or noticed auctions disappearing more then usual.
joke account
Coleco Pac Man

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GameHoarder wrote:
No that didn't happen as there would still be a "record" of it on eBay.

I'm talking POOF,
gone,
as if it never was,
like a fart in a strong wind Wink

This may have happened to me a couple of weeks back - I had a PSP Yu-Gi-Oh on my watch list that just disappeared but to be honest I didn't really search that hard for it once I noticed it had gone.
GameHoarder
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was on your watch list and wasn't "pulled by eBay" you would of seen it in the ended auctions on your list.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Off-Topic Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: