The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
Try to clear some screens sctraches.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goldie
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject: Try to clear some screens sctraches. Reply with quote

OK, here is another topic on game aesthetics: screens. Has anyone had luck with screen cleaners that can remove light scratches? There are a series of special compounds designed to do this for plastics, but still have to be delicate enough not to cloud or make the screen worse. Any experiences?
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you read the section buried at the bottom of the FAQ?

" Scratched cases or screens
Another big problem with handhelds is scratched cases and screens. There are several
solutions you can use to clean the outside of the units and most are available at your local
hardware store. Here are some that some of the readers have found to work well:

-Brasso. This will gently remove a layer of plastic, greatly reducing the visibility of most
scratches. It can also be used to remove marker, paint, ink, and any other kind of writing you
want removed. (This WILL remove any painted markings/designs that were manufactured on
the game as well, so be careful when using this on painted displays and game parts.)

-Meiguar's Mirror Glaze #17. Best used for displays, this is an ultra-fine abrasive that gently
removes the surface layer restoring optical clarity to the display. NOTE: Although
completely harmless to plastics, care should be taken around painted letters/numbers as it can
damage/remove them. "

I can personally vouch for Brasso's scratch removing properties on clear plastic, but this was on my kids playhouse window and not a game and it did cloud them slightly. From what Rik says I would think Brasso followed by Meiguar's Mirror Glaze #17, should improve most plain screens.

Neil.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the Meguiar's works great (note the spelling, it's spelled wrong in the FAQ. www.meguiars.com, look under E-Store, and then Professional (Mirror Glaze), and then Clear Plastic Care. First option is #17.). I think they have a slightly more abrasive compound available somehwere for deep scratches (or maybe that was Brasso that I used), and then you go over that with Meguiar's #17 to make it completely clear again. There's also a Meguiar's #10 (the second option under the Clear Plastic Care) which is a polish that will shiny-up your display/game even more.

As always, take care around painted on designs you want to keep (maybe tape over them or something, but be careful doing that as well, tape could possibly pull the artwork off as well). And my most important recommendation: Practice on a piece of junk first! This is a good use for broken/hopeless games you are just keeping around for parts, try these chemicals on them first. More for your own training than anything else, becuase using them does take a little practice to get a nice, clean screen.

Also, if it's a game you can take apart and get the screen completely free from the rest of the game, that might be easier. You won't have to worry about getting the chemical in the cracks around the the display or slightly polishing the body plastic (thus requiring you to polish the whole game Mr. Green )
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a link to Maxx Waxx for a No10 and No17.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/MEGUIARS.....dZViewItem

They are also selling a No17 on it's own.

They post world wide.

Neil.
Goldie
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Smile No,,,Didn't read Rik's comments before.....that's twice now!
Marc

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I own a Gakken Puck Monster game and there are small scratches on it.
I ued to play this game a LOT, and I still play it every now and then.

However, although the descriptions given here are clear enough on how to remove the scratches, I'm a little afraid to try such a thing. Embarassed

Somehow it seems strange to me: You are using a polish, but the display should become more clear and transparent. It seems contradicting... Rolling Eyes
Especially since it's made of plastic. Doest it really become like new???

Is there maybe a webpage explaining such a procedure in more detail?

I'm just a bit afraid to make things even worse Neutral

Cheers,
/Marc
Lord Thag
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Somehow it seems strange to me: You are using a polish, but the display should become more clear and transparent. It seems contradicting... Rolling Eyes
Especially since it's made of plastic. Doest it really become like new???

I was a bit skeptical too, but I just tried the technique (using brasso) on my beat to hell Tandy Kingman game that was rescued from Goodwill. Parts of the screen were so jacked that you could barely make out the game. It was really nasty.

After about ten minutes of polishing the thing with Brasso, the screen is just about flawless. No joke, it's crystal clear. The stuff works wonders on plastic. My Kingman game almost looks like it just came out of the box now. You can use it to take scratches off of the casing too. I've since used it on all of my other handhelds, and game screens that looked 'used' now look near mint.

Trust me, it works great. Yessss! [/quote]
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are concerned, try to find any old game that you don't care about to test it on first... Or a CD jewel case, etc... See how good you can make it look. Once you build up some confidence in your ability to do it well, you won't be as nervous with your games. (Remember, it will remove the printing on the game as well which the Puck Monster game has a lot of, I believe. So, be careful to only polish the inner square over the play field (you might try taping off the printed area, but be cautious, I wouldn't be surprised if some of the printing could come off with the tape...)

Rik
Marc

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the replies. Great tip of using a CD case. Didn't think of that Very Happy
I read the tip of first trying on a old game or so, but I don't have one. Crying or Very sad
CD case should be fine.

Yes, Puckmonster has printing on the case, I will take care that I don't remove it....

Cheers,
/Marc
Lord Thag
Bandai FL Burgertime

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yes, Puckmonster has printing on the case, I will take care that I don't remove it....

I forgot to add that masking tape works great for printing. Just mask off all of the areas with a couple of layers of tape and scrub away. Makes it much easier.
Marc

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the hint on the tape.

One more question regarding 'Brasso': We're talking here about the copper cleaner, right? As I'm in the Netherlands I was wondering if it is called the same here. So I did a search with Google in the Netherlands on Brasso and this was the result:
http://www.polymetaal.nl/siteN.....mp;lang=nl

It's a sort of polish if I'm correct...

Cheers,
/Marc
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats the stuff I use in the UK. It comes either as a liquid or impregnated cotton wool.
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also the Meguiars products you might be able to find in a local car parts shop (or car detailing shop). Here's a guy selling them on Ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8017087407

It's basically the same as Brasso, just a little more fine tuned for plastics. It's a two step process, I think the #10 is used first to get out any 'deep' scratches, and then #17 removes all the fine scuffs and polishes it out. It's made to be used on clear plastic (like the plastic over the speedometer in a car)...

I think it's just a preference thing (or which one you can actually find). I've used both with similar results.

Rik
Marc

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Meanwhile I bought the Brasso. I tried it on a old watch with some scrtaches on the glass and it's crystal clear now.

So I thought "Why not try it on Puckmonster". I used the same technique, but now I can barely look through the screen Crying or Very sad
It looks like the Brasso caused some damage to the screen, as if it is quite agressive for the plastic. So I decided to stop.
Now the screen looks even worse than before. It's like it's matt finished.
As said, there is no way I can look through the screen.
(Luckily I still have a second Puckmonster...)

My question: How do you apply the polishing? Is it the idea to keep the screen 'wet' with this Brasso, or as dry as possible? I have the idea that I used too much of this stuff and that therefore the screen is damaged.
And how long does it take to polish such screen?

I still have hope that I can make the screen clear again, but I just wanted to aks you how to proceed.

Please help
Rolling Eyes

Thanks,
/Marc
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Marc,
Sorry to hear about your Puckmonster. A similar thing happened to my kids shed windows when I used it. The scratches went but it caused a fogging (see my post on 22/2/06). Meguiars Clear Plastic Polish No.10 might still do the trick and clear the fogging caused by the Brasso if Brasso works in a similar way to Meguiar?s Mirror Glaze Plastic Cleaner No.17

Maxx-Waxx quotes -

" Ideal for clear plastic windows, screens, visors or lens covers in your Car, Soft-Top, Motorhome, Caravan, Motorcycle, Boat or Aircraft.Clear plastic that has lost its clarity over time due to contamination and fine scratches can be treated using this Meguiars two-step process.

Meguiar?s Mirror Glaze non-abrasive, alcohol-free Plastic Cleaner (17) aggressively cleans and removes hairline scratches without harming the surface.

This can then be followed up using Meguiars Clear Plastic Polish (10) for a perfect finish.

The finishing touch for maximum clarity and brilliance. Meguiar?s Plastic Polish provides the second step in the two-step restoration process for clear plastics. One easy application protects surfaces previously cleaned with the Plastic Cleaner. You will reveal the materials natural brilliance, while leaving behind an anti-static coating that helps repel damaging dust and dirt. "

Reading this, I think Rik has the stages in the wrong order.

Here is a link to a bottle of the No 10 that could well save your Puckmonster and with the help of your Brasso (if it works like No17) improve the condition of your other scratched games.

My bottle of Brasso states " Apply with a soft cloth. Polish off with a dry cloth before polish has completely dried. " . This is the method for cleaning metals as Brasso is after all designed as a metal cleaner. No17 used as the first stage could well give improved results.

Hope this helps a bit and best of luck with getting the screen clean again.

Neil.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: