The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
eBay fun
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:07 am    Post subject: eBay fun Reply with quote

Well, it happened again, I won a desirable game for way too cheap, and what do you know, the seller just happened to retest the game after the auction and huh, now it's not working!

I have half a mind to tell him I want it anyway, since in all likelihood there is nothing wrong with it. But maybe then he'll deliberately break it to cover his rear.

The terrible machine-translated French doesn't help the situation! And the international postage makes me less likely to go the buying-it-anyway route.

At least it wasn't a game I didn't have one of yet...

(As an aside, I still think there should be a specific eBay forum, this post doesn't really belong in any of the existing categories!)
spacemonsterviras
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same thing happened to me a few months ago, except the seller told me that his cat spilled hot coffee on it and it melted. Seriously, cat - coffee - melted. The guy must have an asbestos-lined throat if he drinks beverages that can melt plastic. Or, more likely, was full of bs, which is what I said in the negative feedback I left him. Mad

Oh well, I've had plenty of bargains and can't complain. Like the two boxed Tsukudas I won a few weeks ago for $20 each... Yessss!
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a couple of similar experiences too. A tested and fully working Castle Toy Kingpin II turnes out not to have any battery contacts - just bare wires! They said they were sure it worked last time it was used!
A boxed complete Entex Baseball 3 suddenly lost it's battery cover. The reason given was :-
" I have some bad news.....my sons had to the games out and played with them, and now I am missing the back cover to the Entex game. I have been looking for it, but still haven't found it. I want to know what you would like to do."
I paid for them, but is it just me that puts items I have listed on Ebay well out of harms way. I would never dream of giving listed games to kids to play with!
Neil.
spacemonsterviras
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neil UK wrote:
I would never dream of giving listed games to kids to play with!

Nor to a caffeine-addicted cat. Laughing
Dan
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now my French friend wants to know whether I still want the game. I wonder if I should ask for a discount now that it's broken? Confused

I also "won" a couple screamin' deals from another French person, except now I have asked three times for a total with shipping and have yet to get an email from him. I have also attempted to nudge him by asking eBay to remind him that he has to sell to the high bidder, with no results so far.

Moral: don't get excited about a win until the deal actually goes down.

At least I've never been blatently ripped off, as in paid and not shipped, knock on silicon!
blue6demon
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had some problems dealing with a couple of French people, don't know why it's so hard but i stopped buying from France... i don't want to say that they are all the same, especially since i'm a french Canadian but they seem to be hard to deal with !

Do you guys also had problems buying or selling to France ? I've also seen some sellers saying that they won't sell in France anymore because of lost packages...
Eggie
Tiger Jawbreaker

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the reason i don't start buying from France.
They can only speak and read French and de paying methods are not easy at most of the time.

Prices don't go verry high in France so if you are a Frenchman you can buy cheaply....

Regards
Dan
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've got my fingers crossed, I finally heard from Mr. French (the second one described above, with 2 games) and I even got him (her?) to accept Paypal (by offering to cover fees, sure beats the $50 it would cost me to get my hands on paper Euros, not to mention the risk mailing them)!
Neil UK
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$50 charge for exchanging money Shocked . That's a bit steep! There isn't a charge in UK Post Offices Yessss!

Neil.
Dan
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble for me is that none of the banks I bank at do currency exchanges, so the one I found that will do it for me without an account wants the $50... Almost worth opening an account just for the benefit!

And the obvious answer doesn't work either - for some reason US International Money Orders aren't cashable in France...
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bank only has one or two outlets in all of LA that do currency conversion, but at least it's free (and one of the branches is fairly close to me), so I got lucky...

Try travel agencies though, some of them offer currency exchange, and usually only charge you 1 or 2% of the US value. (If that comes to $50, you are buying some expensive games!) Or they might at least know a cheaper place to do it.

Also, if you happen to have a game that's worth saving that doesn't work, let me know. Depending on the problem, I might be able to fix it fairly easily (it's actually kind of hard to really break one of these game, unless it's physically damaged (or LCD rot)).

Last edited by Rik on Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Dan
Atari Cosmos

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! My French friend came though, so now I have a spare Pengo and finally a Konami Tutankham for the equivalent of $40 each, shipped!

(Sometimes it's worth dealing with the language barrier!)

Rik, this Tut does happen to have no sound, so your offer is appreciated! But seeing as how it has a sound switch, it's probably just dirty, no?

The Pengo was supposed to be silent too, but wiggling its sound switch got it going! Surprised

I also got another lot from France the same day, this one included a spare Gakken Paint Roller, a French Microvision, a slew of small LCD games, and a Unidac Space Fighter which I have posted in the Missing Games section for all to see!
Rik
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to suggest wiggling the switch, but you probably already tried it... Mr. Green (You might try switching it on and off while applying a little more than normal pressure on the switch, but not enough to break anything of course...)

If you aren't comfortable opening them up, you are more than welcome to send it to me... If nothing else, you will get it back nice and clean (inside and out... Cool )
spacemonsterviras
Entex Crazy Climber

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a heads up people, if anybody is bidding, or planning on bidding on item 8261168286, a Coleco Donkey Kong, then retract your bid. This is the same guy that told me his cat melted the game. He tried to tell me that he'd found another one, whereupon I told him that I'd saved the photo from the first listing and it was identical to the new listing (with a new photo, which he's subsequently removed). I tried reporting him but I'm a tad drunk and can't find the relevant link amidst the labyrinth that is Contact Us.

Kids, never drink and bid...
Linda
Adventure Vision

PostPosted: Sat Feb 25, 2006 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spacemonsterviras,

It looks like someone bought "your" donkey kong for $27. How much had you won it for before?

Linda
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The www.HandheldMuseum.com Forum Forum Index -> Handheld Games All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: